Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 457
Ergo, MaverickChick is a souless ginger..

This site has been such an inspiration to me. I want to thank every single person, who has ever done a ride report. I try to read as many as I can, and I've stumbled into some good rides.

I wish I was the kid who at 6 was doing doubles, but my journey started out when I was 16, and a car was just a little bit out of my budget. At the age of 18 I was introduced to a CR 85, my life has never been the same.

I've had the privilege of running into some ADV'ers, and all of them have shared some valuable information. For example, I was introduced to the phrase Safety Third...which I ride with everyday. Thanks Hayduke

The following reports are ADV induced madness, often resulting in bent handle bars and other damages. These will be my several day trips that I attempt, and hopefully survive.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

sHort

Sometimes I fall Most of the time I attribute this to the fact that I can't touch the ground on any of my bikes. Luckily this habit doesn't transfer over to the street...well it has a couple of times, but that's a different story.

Three trips ago, so about a week...I took out my new 525. Riding in Delle is always fun, and was the training ground for my TAT skills. I encountered some minor tip overs, due to lack of preparation as well as height!

I just want to give a shout out to my Dad, and to Taylor who had to deal with me tipping over!

The action starts at 3:28

MaverickChick screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 11:42 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Yesterday

We planned on being out the door, at about 7:30. The alarm went off, and I just wasn't feeling it. Later on in the day we couldn't take it anymore and left about 5 minutes later. During the winter months, we ride out at Delle, or Knolls...the desert. Bountiful, however is more my style. Elevation, water and no sand. Yessssssss

Since we were going to B-town I thought it would be a good idea to break in the crf230. I guess my dad was getting sick of me eating it, so he brought home a bike that I could almost tip-toe

It's a bit small CC for my liking, but not the dog that I thought it would be. We roll up to the parking lot and find that its crowded! Nuts! Well, we put on our gloves and get on the bike and start making our way to the top.

I stop at the first look out point, nice views and it was even better to be out of the hot city air. My dad asks me to feel his clutch handle, I thought he was going to point out that it was hydraulic ( One love) , but it turns out something is amiss with it. We add some more fluid to the radiator, and let the bikes cool down for a bit. Giving me some time with the camera!

It is after I am done snapping some shots, that my hands start to itch like crazy. I take off my gloves and the air hitting them almost makes them worse. What the heck? I think it was my brand new gloves. Once again we find ourselves using more water from our camel backs to wash my hands. After that they start to feel better, and we proceed with caution down the canyon.

We wind our way through the tree's and find ourselves at the infamous water crossing. I had tried to this about a year ago, the 45 degree right out of the water had always spooked me. Not to mention the bottom was filled with slippery rocks.

The push out of the water wasn't so bad, because of how shallow it was. However as I looked at it now it was deeper. I knew that I was going to make it through the water, hit the hill stall and roll backwards. Not to mention the fact that a running bike underwater is never a good idea. But it was hot out, so why not?

Wahooo! I caught some air, and repeated this stunt about 5 times! Surviving all of them I was feeling pretty good!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,482
Ok, I like that first video, the short one!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski

me too.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Hey Girl call Rekluse & get an auto clutch on that bike & with your determination & enthusiasm you will be out riding them all
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski
Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach

me too.
Oh, there's def more to come. Mav hits Idaho in T-minus 4 days

MaverickChick screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 11:50 AM
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM
Hey Girl call Rekluse & get an auto clutch on that bike & with your determination & enthusiasm you will be out riding them all

I actually test drove a bike with a rekluse. I was kinda turned off when he also showed me the damage to his garage. I.E. Idling the bike then revving it. I'm not sure if my dad can stand another learning curve
Old 07-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Great job, thanks for sharing

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Great job, thanks for sharing
Denada!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

back to the ADVeture

Now that I was soaked, we decide to head up to the towers. Nothing special it just gives a nice view of the Valley. Now, there are two ways to get to these said towers. The more direct route could be considered a little bit sketchy, just due to all the rocks and narrow edge. So of course, we took the sketchy one.

It would be a good time to point out that the radar towers are at 9,300 feet. So I was only slightly shocked to see a snow drift covering all but 5 inches of the trail. Oh yeah, and those 5 inches happened to be muddy. This was business, at least if I didn't make it I'd only roll down the side of a mountain.

My catch phrase 'Spin it to win it', didn't apply here so much. After the dad did it I felt much better. However, there is always a certain amount of sketchiness to everything I do.

To make things worse I had a spectator...He was rocking a KLX 250, and he was shocked by our badassness. Or shall I say presumed badassness. We exchanged some pleasantries and looked at the time. Daynja! We had to be back at 6, and it was about 3:30

We wind down the mountain taking the wussy way. I figured the rest of the day would be pretty uneventful. Now, we've heard stories about this infamous Bountiful single track. I've been down some of it..

And by 'down' I mean face plant.

For some crazy reason we decide to take a small path off the the side of the main road. This one isn't the least bit sketchy so when given the opportunity of course I don't get back on the main road, I head down a narrow pathway.

I get the bat signal which is two revs, so I stop. My dad ( The Boss man) Informs me of some sketchy switchbacks. Refer to video 2 to see my switch back skillz.

Well I can touch the ground on the little 230, so I'm down for anything.

Until I encounter this beast

MaverickChick screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 06:14 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Now, keep in mind that the video never does any justice. This was kind of a sketchy uphill. I know I could have made it up, I just needed some more commitment coming around the corner.

MOTHER TRUCKER!!!

Well, I throw in the towel, and motion for my dad to take it up. He hits the start button and nothing. Freaking nothing. Greeaaattt.

We are in a basin, up hill both ways..steep up hills with some water crossings. Wrenching time for the dad, and venture up the path to see if it's tow worthy. It's not. Steep ruts with narrow passageways and more rocks. this would be one heck of a towing experience. Almost as fun as me towing the deezer with the cr250 smoker.

During my woe is I trudge, I hear a motor start. I emerge from the bushes, to find the 230 idling. Hallelujah! Turns out that I blew a fuse... Which is odd. Luckily the bike had an extra one stowed away.

Up we go, and find our way back to the main road with no problems.

Well, unless you count the douchebags that parked directly behind our trailer.

We escaped unscathed--except for the melted boot the boss man sustained...

Stay tuned for next weekend and our trip to Idaho, to tackle the infamous first day of the t1.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,712
Nice work, MC!!
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048