Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
RECON OP
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
1st Ironbutt ride (1000 miles in a day)

Ignorance is bliss! Temperature 25 to 105?! WTF

My wife and I had a baby two years ago and I found the frequency of my rides had diminished so whenever I did get a chance to ride I wanted to cover as many miles as possible and learned of the Ironbutt Association. Sounded perfect! I chose the SS1000 for my first attempt and planned a route to Las Vegas as I was attending a friend’s wedding on 9/9/09.

Loaded up and ready to go:

Weather? Huh, here’s where the ignorance came in. Who da thunk to check weather for a ride in August? Especially to Vegas? Evidently not me. I had to be in Vegas by 8pm for the rehearsal dinner so calculated I had to leave at 3am to be on the safe side. Here’s the weather factor coming in. As I went downstairs I noticed the temperature outside was 37 degrees, hmm, didn’t realize it was that cold at night, hadn’t been up at 3am to notice. Threw on a couple extra layers (no electric gear yet) and hit the ATM for my dated documentation. I live in Oregon and the state doesn’t trust us to pump our own gas and no stations open at 3am…

I left Bend, Oregon, south on HWY 97 toward Weed, California which was my first scheduled stop. As soon as I got up to cruising speed I was shocked at how cold it was and how fast I was getting chilled. I also noticed my temperature gauge dropping quickly as I went south… In 30 miles I couldn’t feel my hands so pulled over in Lapine, Oregon and put on some rain covers and thawed my hands with the engine, this was not going as planned…oh wait, I hadn’t planned for the cold, my bad.

The rain covers helped but the temp gauge kept dropping and I knew the coldest was yet to come in Chemult and Chiloquin! I turned the dang temp gauge off when it got down to 25 degrees! Guess I didn’t want to know anymore. So there I was sitting on my left hand until I had feeling then would switch and hold the throttle with my left and sit on my right to thaw it out. (Note to self, cruise control would have been nice, oops, there’s that lack of planning again). Fortunately the deer stayed on the side of the road, think I counted seven.

Made it to Weed, California and this would be my longest stop of the day, just because I couldn’t feel any extremities at this point. Heard more about the lady’s life behind the counter than I really wanted to know but part of the fun right?

Jumped on I-5 and headed south for next stop by Sacramento and then next in Lost Hills, California. Pretty uneventful until I was heading east from Barstow through the north end of the Mojave where I noticed the temp gauge reading 105 deg. You kidding me!? 25 degrees to 105 degrees in one day?! Welcome to long distance riding!

I rolled into Vegas, fueled up and hit the hotel at 7:45, 15 minutes to spare!!! My buddy couldn’t believe it and being in Vegas lost some money as he had bet I wouldn’t make it! Actually, nobody thought I’d make it, guess I should have put some money down.

Final fuel stop:

GPS final reading:

So lessons learned: planning, planning, planning I had planned a good route with proper number of stops but forgot how weather could change in such a long distance and even in middle of summer. I have since added an Aerostich Roadcrafter, heated vest/gloves, and a few other amenities to make life nicer on the road. My ’97 ST1100 ran flawless but a custom seat may be needed.

So I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes as I was able to complete a SS1000 on my first try.

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Excellent!! Congrats on your accomplishment. Moved to the Day Trippin' forum.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Des
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Nice one, I did my first Iron Butt this year - the RBLR1000. I used my 1988 VFR750. Good fun, in a defferent kind of way to my usual riding.
Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,122
Day Trippin' Excellent!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Congrats! I am STV myself, I can't even buy a keyring without that IBA number
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Nice job. I did several "1000 in ones" before there even was an IBA, but did an official one in 2002 for the license plate frame.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
aholecop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Cry me too..

i'll be trying my 1st ironbutt ride this weekend. NJ- OH and back. the weather looks a little nasty through PA . but we're going anyway..
aholecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholecop
i'll be trying my 1st ironbutt ride this weekend. NJ- OH and back. the weather looks a little nasty through PA . but we're going anyway..
Good luck. If nothing else, the rain will give you a break from the damned heat. I'll be headed the opposite way, Ohio to New York for the weekend. No record setting in my future though.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
webjedi
every day, all day

Oddometer: 17
Well, it's a weekend of rides..

Well, I'm going for my first SS1000 this weekend circumnavigating Pennsylvania... a different tact than that above... looks that the weather may pass in time on Saturday.

I've also got a 50CC planned in two weeks... my "From the Boss to the Dead" tour... leaving from Asbury Park, NJ and ending in San Francisco, CA (well, actually Pacifica, just to get the 3000 mile certification).

Hopefully the temperatures will drop another 10-15 from this week till then, as opposed to the 100+ degrees and humidity we had here in DC this past week.

Congrats to the original poster on their success and trip...
webjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
migrator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Congrats Recon

Carefull these things can get addicting. Most of my longer trips are planned around IBA runs.
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Pretty good time for your first SS. Congrats.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator
Carefull these things can get addicting.

Ain't that the truth.

Congrats RECON!

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless
Congrats RECON!
++

I've done a couple 1,000-mile days on,, ehem, a sportbike and pretty much got welded into the position.

One was from close to Mexico City to El Paso, and because of the deserted tollways I could hold the speedo at 110 (120 for one hour). It was a thrill and a pretty short day, but my ears were ringing for a long time after.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
RECON OP
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholecop
So how'd it go?!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote