ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #16
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,747
how much to you care about your bike/life?

from my own experiences, i'd say nyc motorcycle ownership is less than ideal. if you love your bike, you can't park it outside, even with a cover (homeless people love 'em!). if you park on the sidewalk, you'll probably get tickets unless its hidden in an alley. don't be surprised if mirrors, signals are bent, removed, etc. by hooligans.
if you're bike is light, someone will try to throw it into a van.
garages are expensive and inconvenient, but necessary.

there are a lot of great trips you can take once you leave the city, but if you leave when other people finish work (mon-fri from 3pm on) expect heavy traffic. same thing on the way back in.

on the bright side: you'll be happy if you have dual sport because the roads in NYC suck so hard. not sure where my taxes are going.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
..on the bright side: you'll be happy if you have dual sport because the roads in NYC suck so hard. not sure where my taxes are going.
Where do you think the money comes from to pay the people who give you tickets? It's what's known as a closed loop system
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #18
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,540
I don't know what all you guys are saying -not to keep your bike outside/need a garage?. I've had bikes outside in the city for years. You just have to know where to keep em. First thing you MUST do is put magnets/or velcro on the lic plate, and remove it each time you park it. Second, you must always park it on a sidewalk, preferably locked to a street light, tree guard, etctetc. Then a cover helps, with a lock on the cover. Dowco makes a great cover, make sure you get one with the heat proof shields (bmw covers SUCK). You will have to live with dog piss, but it beats picking up your bike due to some phuktard's parallel parking job.
Then here's the nxt thing - forget about what it looks like, forget cleaning it, just clean it twice a year. Anything shiny and pretty will look like shit after 2 days in manhattan, so there's no point in cleaning it.
Here's the most important thing - put the LOUDEST pipe you can get on it, if you don't I can virtually guarantee you will hit a dumbasss pedestrian, and get sideswiped by a cab once a week. This is FACT- anyone who says different, doesn't commute here everyday like me, they're a wknd warrior, and they know not the survival tactics of nyc riding. When they hear you, they MOVE, plain and simple, and you will become an expert lane splitter. The traffic here is a hundred times more caustic then SF/Cali, I've ridden both, I promise.
Actually, are you sure you want to leave SF, the riding there is about a million light years better then here, as are the roads. good luck!
See you at the ear inn on tuesdays.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 PM   #19
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

where are you parking?

i guess if you're parking in really good areas than you don't need to worry. not that i live in the boogie down bronx, but in many parts of the city you do need to worry if you're bike is at all accessible to the public.
most places i've traveled people respect a parked bike (even with unsecured luggage). in nyc people: park on top of them (usually by accident), sit on them, play on them, steal or bend parts, etc.
loud pipes in nyc - any idea how many pedestrians get hit every year by fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars in nyc??!!
the money from the parking tickets goes to pay the lawsuits the city settles with those pedestians.

hey, can i switch cities with that guy from San Fran?

ride safe guys!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 AM   #20
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
i guess if you're parking in really good areas than you don't need to worry. not that i live in the boogie down bronx, but in many parts of the city you do need to worry if you're bike is at all accessible to the public.
most places i've traveled people respect a parked bike (even with unsecured luggage). in nyc people: park on top of them (usually by accident), sit on them, play on them, steal or bend parts, etc.
loud pipes in nyc - any idea how many pedestrians get hit every year by fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars in nyc??!!
the money from the parking tickets goes to pay the lawsuits the city settles with those pedestians.
!
I dunno, I've been parking bikes (mostly bimmers) here since the mid eighties, I've had to pick up my bike once from a parallel parker hit (so as I suggested, park it on sidewalk sans plate), and had to once tell some hot girl who was posing for her boyfriends camera to either get off my bike, or get with me (she got off the bike!). Sure, if it's really flashy and clean it might attract crackies, but that's pretty difficult if it's living outside a garage here in city.
My bike's have always had the luggage attached, and I've never once had anyone break in - I used to park everyday in Bedstuy, and other unsavory parts of crooklyn so, take it for what it's worth.
Now, as for these people who get hit by fire trucks, etc??? I've never even heard of that? Sounds like another urban myth. I've heard of cage drivers getting hit by firetrucks/cops, blowing through intersections and such, maybe a little kid or a british tourist once in a blue moon but that's to be expected in a city of 8 million. I cannot imagine a healthy/ non deaf individual who actually lives here, walking into a speeding ambulance - unless they're on a cellphone, in which case they get what's comin.

If you don't agree that loud pipes will save your ass while riding through thick city traffic, you just plain and simple DON'T ride in thick city traffic everyday as a commuter.. There's a BIG difference between commuting everyday on a packed 4 lane nyc street, and riding the BQE (which does indeed have it's own excitement), or LIE. I can't express how many times I've had a cage/truck, pedestrian, or cab lurch out in front of me as I'm splittin lanes, only to stop dead when they hear my 2brothers pipe echoing off the bldg's. There's no argument. It saves MY life everyday. And I don't give a rats ass about these legions of bmw riders who all live out in the freaking sticks, who tell me that loud pipes are obnoxious, and they love the sound of their sewing machines - great, good for them. Last I checked, sports/muscle cars, and practically every cruiser has a loud pipe, as do 18 wheelers, and everything else that creates a noise out on the street. Why should WE, be the ones to quiet down? We're already taking up less than half the space of a car, using half the fuel, making less pollution, so I think I'll take a pass on being quiet and respectable. I can do that on my couch, and my bike's not designed to be a couch

Whew, sorry, had to rant!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #21
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

the naked city

there are eight million stories in the naked city. mine is only one of them...

funny how we have had such different experiences in nyc. thats life.

pedestrians (or vehicles) struck by city emergency vehicles happens all the time. certainly not an urban legend.
heck, the city pays out around $60 million annually for slip and fall cases. still looking for payout stats on accidents with emerg. vehicles.

but my point was that you could drive with lights and sirens running and half the people still wouldn't notice. i have absolutely no problem with loud pipes, but i guess i don't see anything as a very effective safety device in a city where people don't pay attention to anything on the road.
tell me a good bar in the city with country music and i'll buy you a beer there.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #22
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

That sounds like a great idea
But it might be hard finding the country music, unless you like the touristy Hogs and heifers type place. Actually, the cowgirl hall of fame ain't bad on hudson st. Unique clientel sometimes though,, cheers.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #23
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
If you don't agree that loud pipes will save your ass while riding through thick city traffic, you just plain and simple DON'T ride in thick city traffic everyday as a commuter.. Last I checked, sports/muscle cars, and practically every cruiser has a loud pipe, as do 18 wheelers, and everything else that creates a noise out on the street. Why should WE, be the ones to quiet down? We're already taking up less than half the space of a car, using half the fuel, making less pollution, so I think I'll take a pass on being quiet and respectable. I can do that on my couch, and my bike's not designed to be a couch

Whew, sorry, had to rant!
There's something to be said for being heard but there are no petitions making the rounds to ban cars or trucks from the Village every few years. Every time some idiot on a Harley winds out the loud handle and people on the sidewalk cringe you lose. Damn, I hate it and I'm about as commited a motorcyclist as there is.

I think we all know the difference here but lets try not to forget that people generally hate us when we slip by between lanes while they're stuck there for hours. Deafening them needlessly only adds to our eventual misery.

And, no, I'm not a "BMW weenie" I ride everyday on one of several different bikes including one very loud BMW (which I do as quietly and infrequently as possible just for that reason).

G
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

rather have a bottle in fronta me than a frontal lobotomy

perry - when are we going for that drink? next week mon, tues, wed is good for me. you pick the spot. have you ever heard of/been to doc holidays or something like that? maybe around alphabet city?
of course other riders are welcome to join. i'm new to bmw ownership (a few hondas in my past) so i'd like to get to know some of the locals.