Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
DuckWV OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
An "Almost Heaven" DR gets "Rocky Mountain High"

Since I bought my DR a year ago, I have wanted to take a trip on it. I have also wanted to see the Rocky Mountains for quite a while, so I thought I would put the two together. I got a chance to take my vacation early and a friend of mine was going to Oklahoma and agreed to haul me and the DR with him to give me around a thousand mile head start on my trip. Not an idea start, but it left me with no excuse not to go.

We left West Virginia just before 5:00am with each of us having about three hours sleep. After 17 hours we arrived at Mark and Jennifer's, his daughter and son in law, in south east Oklahoma just before dark.

After a good nights sleep, I still had some maintenance to do and pack everything on the bike.

I got started just before noon. I was talking to Mark about my choices on local roads and he made a couple suggestions.
Leaving from Nashoba, I could either go west a few miles and hit the slab north to Tulsa, or I could backtrack a few miles east and take some two lanes north through the mountains.

Easy choice

Curvy mountain roads are always a good choice.

I took Indian Trail road through the Kiamichi Mountains. Some nice sweeping mountain roads for the most part. Beautiful scenery, great riding roads. Very little traffic. Also followed Rt. 82 through the San Boise Mountains. In some areas similar to parts of WV but a lot more evergreens and the hills not as steep and close together. A big part of the economy in this area is logging. The will clear cut some areas and plant back rows of evergreens. Or leave some native ones to repopulate.

I started running out of mountains, and patients. Even the flat land is interesting and offers sights to see, but after my late start I was getting anxious to put some mileage towards Colorado so I hit the slab to Tulsa. Stopped at Bass Pro to pick up some gear, then headed northwest and ended up stopping in Ponca City for the night. 278 miles closer to my goal.

Next, farther west. I had the maps to run the Trans America Trail through Oklahoma, New Mexico and Colorado, but I didn't have time to program them into my GPS, so in the morning I had to decide whether to try it or not. I also decided I had too much with me, so stopped at a Bass Pro shop along the way and bought a smaller tent and sleeping pad. The next morning I repacked everything and found a post office to ship some things home to make more room for me on the bike.
DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote