Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Sould be a black shaft, and a gray double side seal.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 AM   #17
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Wrong seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides
Wrong seal......................... should be double, and gray.
Absolutely! You got the wrong seal if it is not gray and have lips and springs on both sides..Let me just share this with you..If you bugger up the bearing fits in the clutch cover so that the new water pump bearings are not a tight interference fit the new seal will "wallow out" in just a few thousand miles and start leaking. Please don't ask how I know this!
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
BoznBlack
Go Big

Oddometer: 63
Per my earlier concern with the kit ordered from KTMtwins. They have been very thorough with the follow up regarding the single sided brown seal being provided to them by KTM USA. Ron from KTMtwins has been in contact with KTM USA regarding this seal type. Turns out there may be a mistake on what is being shipped by KTM USA. Stay tuned as I learn more about this single sided brown seal.
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Don't fall for this "wrong part supplied by KTM USA" rubbish.

When you order parts from an official source any competent dealer would:

1. Look up your bike model and year on the online parts microfiche.

2. Check the part number on the bag/box containing the part to check it is the correct part, before sending to you.

This is basic, due diligence.

It's a shame, but when you ask many long term KTM owners the key to their bikes reliability, a common answer is to not let any KTM dealers anywhere near it.

Sadly, the same applies to parts - where the most reliable way is to look up your bike on on one of the many online microfiches on the net, find your part number (and if in any doubt about the latest part, ask on OC - example here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556947 )

Then check the part number yourself when it arrives. This is the only sure way.

Sure, mistakes can happen, but if the supplier does not admit to HIS mistake, apologise and correct the problem then he is not just slippery, he is dangerous.

Think about it - you could have blown your engine - or worse the engine could have seized and thrown you under a truck.

Pete

PS: the brown viton seal was superceded by the grey teflon one more than 3 years ago. If your brown seal is single-sided it is not the old part.
petesonhisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #20
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesonhisway
PS: the brown viton seal was superceded by the grey teflon one more than 3 years ago. If your brown seal is single-sided it is not the old part.
Ya, that's odd they even had those in stock anymore. They should have been binned.

I just received 15 more "Grey" seals to use in my own shaft kits. These seals came from KTM too. Odd??
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #21
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,875
KTM Twins kit...

FWIW, I received the KTM Twins water pump kit last week and just now went to the garage to check the parts...

Mine has gray seal and black shaft, plus assorted gaskets, bearings, o-rings, etc.
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
kingoftwins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Waterpump issues

I think there needs to be some clarification regarding this seal in the water pump kits. Yes they are supposed to be double lipped and grey in color. I spoke with KTM just yesterday and they have in fact apologized for the mistake in that they have been sending the old brown single sided lip seals to their dealers here recently. We were no different and are now in the process of getting our kits back up to spec. To answer the quote by one of the people on this forum is yes all of the parts are OEM parts straight from KTM USA. In order to make the kits compact we take much of the unneeded packaging out which is unnecessary and bulky. We know of only one person who has received our kits with the brown seal and are in the process of getting that person taken care of. If for any reason you think that you have received a kit from KTMTwins.com here within the last week with a brown seal please don't hesitate to contact us and we will make sure to get your situation resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoznBlack
I don't think that KTMTwins is selling oem parts in their kit. There is no KTM packaging included in the kit.
kingoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #23
kingoftwins
Adventurer

A little understanding goes a long way

petesonhisway quote regarding the dealers not doing their part to make sure that the parts you are getting are correct we here at our shop look up the parts every single time we sell them. In this particular situation you will notice that the part supplied by KTM USA is in the superceeded packaging that will correspond to the proper number supplied by KTM's Dealer Fische for all models prior to the change over in 2009. I have supplied a picture to confirm this. Sometimes it's the top dogs who make a mistake like this. We rely on KTM to supply the proper parts in the proper packaging and have no reason to question them. They do an an outstanding job but just like everyone here we are human and mistakes happen.
Quote:
Don't fall for this "wrong part supplied by KTM USA" rubbish.

When you order parts from an official source any competent dealer would:

1. Look up your bike model and year on the online parts microfiche.

2. Check the part number on the bag/box containing the part to check it is the correct part, before sending to you.

This is basic, due diligence.

It's a shame, but when you ask many long term KTM owners the key to their bikes reliability, a common answer is to not let any KTM dealers anywhere near it.

Sadly, the same applies to parts - where the most reliable way is to look up your bike on on one of the many online microfiches on the net, find your part number (and if in any doubt about the latest part, ask on OC - example here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556947 )

Then check the part number yourself when it arrives. This is the only sure way.

Sure, mistakes can happen, but if the supplier does not admit to HIS mistake, apologise and correct the problem then he is not just slippery, he is dangerous.

Think about it - you could have blown your engine - or worse the engine could have seized and thrown you under a truck.

Pete

Attached Images

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #24
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,494
I have seen the seal get damaged on the way in... its easy to do as the shaft has a sharp edge and also if you do not drive it in with a proper pressing tool it can also cause problems......

I had one of the original red seals in my 03/04 950... and it had ~10k miles on it.. was not leaking, however decided to update to the 07 version as a matter of PM....

Don't roast KTM twins for making a mistake... they are standup guys and even the best can make mistakes.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
BoznBlack
Go Big

Oddometer: 63
KTM Twins has bent over backwards to help me get the correct the seal and rectify the problem with the single sided seal shipped in my kit. As Ken states, these guys are straight up. Sounds like the original post gentlemen took a hit with the wrong seal installed.
BoznBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #26
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Well it's clear that personal standards of competence and professionalism differ from person to person, as do their expectations of others, whether providing professional services or otherwise.

Mr King of Twins, I suggest you remove the photgraph in your last post before your customer sees it and objects to the publication of his personal details.

Enough said, I think.

Pete
Old 07-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
kingoftwins
Adventurer

No need to remove the picture because it was for you and you alone. That picture was to prove to you that the part number that is listed on the package was the superseded part number which from what I am understanding you may have the ability to reference yourself proving that the part number was correct but the items packaged in it were not. This shows the competence of the parts guys out there working hard to keep everyone's motorcycles on the road. They aren't doing it to get rich. Once again it was a simple mistake by KTM which in my 9 years of working with them was the first mistake ever made by them in my dealings. Those are pretty good odds no matter how you look at it. Wish I had those in Vegas!

Quote:
Well it's clear that personal standards of competence and professionalism differ from person to person, as do their expectations of others, whether providing professional services or otherwise.

Mr King of Twins, I suggest you remove the photgraph in your last post before your customer sees it and objects to the publication of his personal details.

Enough said, I think.

Pete
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #28
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

In case you still don't realise, by publishing personal customer information in that picture you have exposed the guy to identity fraud and probably broken the law in your country.

For his sake, I've reported the post to the mods so they will hopefully remove it for you.

Please think about what you are doing!

Pete
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #29
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,694
Let's ratchet down the drama here, okay?

There was an oversight and KTM Twins has addressed it.

Aside from part of a name I don't see enough information in that image to be concerned about identity theft.

I'm not on the best internet connection so if someone disagrees I'd like to hear it.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #30
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I get the message.