User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #3406
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
new video

voiceover is in japanese, but some nice visuals. Anyway, the guy does have a soothing, or dare I say it, sexy, voice. ;-)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #3407
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom
voiceover is in japanese, but some nice visuals. Anyway, the guy does have a soothing, or dare I say it, sexy, voice. ;-)
Very Smooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.

Nice pics in there.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #3408
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Motociclismo has a comparison test 1200GS/S10, says similar things to other tests (i.e. motor doesn't feel as powerful or rev as hard as the GS) but interesting comments about dirt performance , along with a cool pic. Translated by Babelfish - for some reason Google won't translate it.

If you're Italian is good, get the original here.

Trevor
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #3409
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
@ Graham...

It seems that the current name Honda Varadero - after an Cuban beach resort - isn't suitable for the weak and sensitive US customers...
What a relief! Hopefully Honda will also follow suit with the styling. I applaud Yamaha's departure from the 'queer eye for the straight guy' Euro styling of the 660 Tenere.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #3410
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

S10 Service manual on cd

Can't vouch for its legality, but here it is - 10 quid.
http://www.xt660.com/site/node/343
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #3411
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Blah, blah, blah...Varadero PR machine blah, blah, blah...Honda loves my free advertizing, blah, blah.

YOU have single-handedly done more to turn my OFF to the Varadero than any other source. I'm really suprised to see you finish a single post without opening your yap with more Honda garbage. We get it, you're a Varadero freak! Enough already...it's not Honda thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Agree with the postings about comfort towards the GS. And about low speed riding (walking speed): It is not that bad. Like written above by R3B you simply have to 'play' with the clutch and apply your rear break. No worries here; it is as easy as it can get.

For comfort... There is only one bike in this 'class' who is more comfy as the S10 and that's the XL1000V Varadero. The saddle is just as great, but the Dero offers (much) more wind/weather protection.

In the German Motormagazine MOTORRAD there has been a big big trail test with 5 of the most popular big trail bikes. They covered quit a distance, riding up-and-down to the Northcape in Norway.

Surprisingly the S10 loses fully towards its competitors on the engine ánd on riding stability. Engine I can understand (f.e. and like I stated in my test report the BMW boxer is more refined; and the Varadero V-2 is really the best you can get giving enough torque from 1.000 RPM) since you better keep it around or slightly above 2.000 RPM.

The magazine is in the bookshop now, but I'm waiting for the Dutch translation which will be available soon in MOTOPLUS.
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3412
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #3413
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Quote:
...we prefer the Ténéré: the position in feet on the footrests is more natural, the suspensions are much more effective to filter the roughness and the traction is clearly advanced in every surf. You play to us, with this Yamaha, also without being a fuoristradista.
So the YAMAHA is better to ride in fluoridated surf? OR is it a better machine to get to the beach with the surfboard?
I think I get it, YAMAHA must have had their marine division with them while testing in Africa.

Quote:
BMW sobs in order then to give back the power with a small recoil when it rotates posterior resumes adhesion.
I love these translations.

Trac control smoother on the YAMAHA. Doesn't "sob" when it gets a bit slippery?

Well that tends to agree with a few real life user comments for a change.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-23-2010 at 11:07 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #3414
BIKE-R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Yamaha XTZ1200 acceleration

-------------------------------------
'03 HONDA XL1000V VARADERO, '06 SUZUKI DRZ400S ADV
BIKE-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #3415
AndreiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
As promised I tested today the Windscreenzilla at speeds between 140 and 165 km/h. Everything Ok, it protected me from wind, only minor buffeting but I expect improvements once I will install the wind deflectors.
Safe ride to everybody
AndreiHappy
AndreiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #3416
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKE-R
Yamaha XTZ1200 acceleration

I dont see your point seeing as how you are not really giving it too much stick, but, Try that again, next time with D-mode set on Sport.. You will be surprised how much quicker it accelerates...

Greg.
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #3417
sinex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Windshield

Bike was delivered with bigger screen already fitted in pretty much the second highest position, moved it down after yesterday run, moved it down again to the lowest position after todays run, as the the windblast was hitting me right on my helmet, figure if it hits my shoulders fine, I am 5.10 seat in lowest position, any other found a better setting?
sinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #3418
sinex
Adventurer

Anyone using S Mode before 1st service

Anyone used the S Mode before 1st service, dealer said to wait till after 1st service, is the map in s mode good?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #3419
sinex
Adventurer

Introduction, new owner

Age, 47 based in UK Northants

Last few bikes, Multistrada, Tiger1050, Ducati 1098, Hypermotard

Now XT1200Z Super Tènèrè

Why, by accident, as Ducati could not get me a Multistrada 1200 for my trip to Italy at the end of the month,

First impressions, felt like a more refined Tiger 1050, the size more than anything, after 500 miles, I am really getting into it, got my head around the linked brakes this am (thanks for advice from a previous post), yeah really getting to like it, getting looser, they feel really tight new, its a comfortable bike, fast enough, smooth enough, i,ve done 500 miles in two days and no pains from the seat, need to play with the screen height, bike sounds nice too, is it a keeper, probably not, the thought of leaking panniers, bad fuel maps and an uncomfortable seat will draw me to a Ducati, in my blood, this S10 will probably be up fro grabs in early September with about 3,500 miles, after my Italian trip, http://www.flickr.com/photos/52355787@N07/
Old 07-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #3420
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
I dont see your point seeing as how you are not really giving it too much stick, but, Try that again, next time with D-mode set on Sport.. You will be surprised how much quicker it accelerates...
And TC=OFF, so there will be no interference of the electronics, that something they missed at the Motorrad test, because actually you have 6 mappings at your disposal...
T+1, T+2, T+Off
S+1, S+2, S+Off

And for the punters, its Traction control, not Launch control :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex
is it a keeper, probably not, bad fuel maps
Well according to Das Motorrad, there is no bike better mapped, so straight and clean it actually feels much slower then it is. Okay that makes it feel less exciting than a bike with massve dips around 4500 and 6500 which give the illusion of punches in the back...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 11:13 AM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote