User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
G_in_Colorado OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
A short ride after a very long time

I rode a lot in the 70s and into the early 90s, big bikes little bikes, road, dirt, enduro , but as things happen, wife, home, real job, kids, it got so that I felt guilty when out on the bike my myself. I should be doing something for the house, spending time with the kids etc. In fact the last bike went in exchange for paint and body work on my jeep. I never lost the desire to ride; and kept up the MC endorsement on my driver’s license.
Then sometime in the fall of 2004 I stumbled across this site and Glen’s Striking Viking Bumming the World ride report. I was hooked, that ride report and many others since have kept me inspired. I’ve been looking and trying to decide what kind of a bike would suit my needs and wants, I now know.
So on to my little ride. I live in the foothills just west of Denver, so first a few tight little twisties right in my neighborhood, then on down to a few little dirt roads along the South Platte River, to Deckers. Then Forest service roads and a county road to Tarryall, on to Jefferson and dirt roads again to the summit of Georgia Pass. All in all about 140 miles and many more smiles. And yes a couple of uh ohs. I found myself a little late going into some of the turns. The dirt roads were great fun, the worst part of the ride was the Sunday traffic coming back down out of the high country
I hope to post more adventurous reports in the future.
I want to say a very big thank you to everyone who has posted their ride reports. I don’t know how some of you do it, Just amazing.

G_in_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,810
Welcome back.

I had bikes through high school and one some time in the mid 80s. Then nothing until 2004 when I bought my KLR. It's fun to be back.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
I bet you'll never be without a bike again.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Good for you!
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
caktmrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Awesome!

Hey...Colorado - my old stompin' grounds. I rode all dirt when I lived there. Never thought I was missing anything until I bought my 950 Adventure. Now I relish the opportunity to ride far, far away...then dirt! Beats trailering the small bikes most of the time!

Keep on ridin' and sending pics!

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." Bertrand Russell.
caktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,802
Cool - you have one post and it's a ride report. Welcome to ADV and welcome back to the world of motorcycling.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
jenkkimike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
It's cool to see you are rediscovering your passion for riding. It reminds me of my father who rode Honda CB350s/360s growing up and was a big Harley guy in the 80s and early 90s. He stopped riding for nearly 20 years. When I started riding I think it ignited some old spark and he picked up a Yamaha XT600. Now he tears up the deserts and mountains in Phoenix, AZ every weekend. I live in Mass and can only dream about the duel sport oppurtunities you have in Colorado.
jenkkimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Welcome to the Asylum.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815
You've certainly picked the right bike for all the great riding that Colorado has to offer.. welcome aboard and please share more of your Co rides with us
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
bennyhana73
Seeker

Oddometer: 88
Thumb

Good for you G. Keep up the riding. i'm headed to Denver at the end of August, passing thru on my way to Cheyenne. Beginning our ride in Gardnerville,NV, and heading south next weekend to "WMRS" down by Bishop,Ca. and then continuing south to Phoenix, then to Tularosa,NM. Up from there to a friends in Colorado Springs, thru Denver, and on to Cheyenne to another friends. From there its across the rest of Wyoming, thru Idaho to Boise to my Nephews, then back down to home in Gardnerville,NV. Maybe we'll see you along the way and check out some trails in your neck of the woods. Again, welcome back to the Wonderful World of Dual Sport riding, Smitty
bennyhana73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
InterGalactic
SoleTraveler

Oddometer: 16
You Sir, inspire me.

Stay Safe.
InterGalactic is offline   Reply With Quote