Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #3421
rocca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinex
Bike was delivered with bigger screen already fitted
Hi sinex, can I ask if you ordered this to be fitted or if it happened to be on the bike you bought? I'm also in the UK and have been told the part is out of stock 'til the end of next month

Quote:
Anyone used the S Mode before 1st service, dealer said to wait till after 1st service, is the map in s mode good?
Yes, I've flicked into S mode, still with <600 miles. Can't see the harm in it -- manual doesn't say you can't use it while running in (unless I didn't read carefully enough!), but I am paying attention to recommended rev limit. Give it a shot - makes a big difference to the bike and may change your mind about keeping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well according to Das Motorrad, there is no bike better mapped, so straight and clean it actually feels much slower then it is. Okay that makes it feel less exciting than a bike with massve dips around 4500 and 6500 which give the illusion of punches in the back...
The fueling is absolutely immaculate and the shaft drivetrain is the best of its type (least obtrusive) that I've tried.

rocca screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 10:29 AM
rocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #3422
sinex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Ordered the screen, about the same time as the bike, I asked for it to go straight on the bike,
sinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #3423
sinex
Adventurer

R3B, the bad fuel map was a reference to the Multi 1200 not the Tenere which is probably the best fueled bike I have ever ridden, its great straight out the box, not even tried S mode yet!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #3424
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Age, 47 based in UK Northants

Last few bikes, Multistrada, Tiger1050, Ducati 1098, Hypermotard

Now XT1200Z Super Tènèrè

Why, by accident, as Ducati could not get me a Multistrada 1200 for my trip to Italy at the end of the month,

First impressions, felt like a more refined Tiger 1050, the size more than anything, after 500 miles, I am really getting into it, got my head around the linked brakes this am (thanks for advice from a previous post), yeah really getting to like it, getting looser, they feel really tight new, its a comfortable bike, fast enough, smooth enough, i,ve done 500 miles in two days and no pains from the seat, need to play with the screen height, bike sounds nice too, is it a keeper, probably not, the thought of leaking panniers, bad fuel maps and an uncomfortable seat will draw me to a Ducati, in my blood, this S10 will probably be up fro grabs in early September with about 3,500 miles, after my Italian trip, http://www.flickr.com/photos/52355787@N07/
It's not the bike, it's the brand.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #3425
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
"is it a keeper, probably not, the thought of leaking panniers, bad fuel maps and an uncomfortable seat will draw me to a Ducati, in my blood, this S10 will probably be up fro grabs in early September with about 3,500 miles, after my Italian trip, http://www.flickr.com/photos/52355787@N07/"

Unless I'm reading the quote wrong, I'd recommend being careful. Ducati people may try to kidnap you and have you cloned to boost sales worldwide. Anyone who has bad fuel maps, bad seat and leaking panniers in the blood seems rare to me, so watch your back .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #3426
sinex
Adventurer

Yeah, you guys are right, Brand, shame on me
Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #3427
AndreiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Engine mapping T & S

Here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWrn...eature=related where you can see the engine torque curve in both T & S mode. The curve is identical the only difference between T and S are the degrees you have to rotate gas to obtain the same rev.
AndreiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #3428
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
The German Off-the-Road updated their website and as of now run stuff for the XT1200Z Super Tenere, along lots of goodies for the XT660Z/X/R: www.off-the-road.de; another German firm also do have some stuff for the S10: www.kedo.com or www.kedo.de.
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #3429
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I just did!

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #3430
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Talking

Picked up my new Super Tenere on Friday and said goodbye to my faithful Wee Strom. Did about 450 kms over the weekend. Been taking it easy for the run in, so no dirt and only limited WOT/high revs so far. I have made the following observations so far:

Drive train: A bit tight at first, but noticeably improving in smoothness with each extra 100 km I put on it. Smoother than my Wee even at this early stage of its life, including below 3000 RPM.

Engine Power: Quite a contrast between Sports and Touring power modes with the former being very responsive and fun and the latter being tamer (thumbs up from the pillion for this mode) and very economical (best being 4.3 l/100 kms over 100 kms on highway ie. 55 US MPG).

Seating: Most comfortable stock seat I have ever encountered. Seat height is a tad higher than on my Wee and I have the suspension on soft (lowest) setting until I get used to it.

Handling: Easy to balance, even two-up. Weight becomes slightly noticeable when weaving through twisties but not unmanageable.

Aerodynamics: Smoother airflow than on the Wee (with Madstad bracket) but increased wind noise hence ear plugs are now essential. More planted on the road than my Wee (with fork brace) in gusty winds or at high speed.

Brakes: Very impressive, even two-up.

Traction Control: Haven't really pushed it yet but it did tamely arrest an attempted wheel spin I tried in loose gravel.

Tyres: Came with Metzler Tourances, which are actually what I'd shoe this bike with. Very planted, even in the rain/hail I encountered yesterday.

Public interest: Much interest from others when I had it parked out the front of a bakery in Braidwood, including someone taking a photo. It seems my days of obscurity from riding a Wee Strom may be gone!

So there you have it. It will be at least another few weeks before the bike emerges from its 1600 km break-in period and hence my desire to test its abilities more completely. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it so far and do not regret my decision to trade the Wee in for it, even for the price premium that I paid.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 08:54 PM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #3431
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000

Thanks for the observations.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #3432
sinex
Adventurer

was out on mine again yesterday, three days in a row, ready for the 1st service now on Tuesday.

it just gets better, the more miles you do on it, which for an adventure bike is good! having found myself without a ride for the trip to Europe I could have got a BMW GS or Adventure at short notice very easily, but for people like me, and others in the section for various reason I just could not buy one, so this may be the perfect ride for you. ok it does not have 4 mode adjustable suspension or tyre pressure sensors, but what it has works really really well, the engine, gear box, fueling and steering are all on spot on and I really like the linked braking, dare I say this bike is improving my biking skills and enjoyment, could I really be contemplating keeping her over the option of the 1200 Multistrada
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #3433
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
Picked up my new Super Tenere on Friday and said goodbye to my faithful Wee Strom. Did about 450 kms over the weekend. Been taking it easy for the run in, so no dirt and only limited WOT/high revs so far. I have made the following observations so far:

Drive train: A bit tight at first, but noticeably improving in smoothness with each extra 100 km I put on it. Smoother than my Wee even at this early stage of its life, including below 3000 RPM.

Engine Power: Quite a contrast between Sports and Touring power modes with the former being very responsive and fun and the latter being tamer (thumbs up from the pillion for this mode) and very economical (best being 4.3 l/100 kms over 100 kms on highway ie. 55 US MPG).

Seating: Most comfortable stock seat I have ever encountered. Seat height is a tad higher than on my Wee and I have the suspension on soft (lowest) setting until I get used to it.

Handling: Easy to balance, even two-up. Weight becomes slightly noticeable when weaving through twisties but not unmanageable.

Aerodynamics: Smoother airflow than on the Wee (with Madstad bracket) but increased wind noise hence ear plugs are now essential. More planted on the road than my Wee (with fork brace) in gusty winds or at high speed.

Brakes: Very impressive, even two-up.

Traction Control: Haven't really pushed it yet but it did tamely arrest an attempted wheel spin I tried in loose gravel.

Tyres: Came with Metzler Tourances, which are actually what I'd shoe this bike with. Very planted, even in the rain/hail I encountered yesterday.

Public interest: Much interest from others when I had it parked out the front of a bakery in Braidwood, including someone taking a photo. It seems my days of obscurity from riding a Wee Strom may be gone!

So there you have it. It will be at least another few weeks before the bike emerges from its 1600 km break-in period and hence my desire to test its abilities more completely. Nonetheless, I am very happy with it so far and do not regret my decision to trade the Wee in for it, even for the price premium that I paid.

Congrats on your acquisition, one you won't regret Mine is now by the book "Runin" as i have hit 1,800k yesterday so the real fun has begun. Hopefully later this week i should have my alloy bash plate and can get more serious offroad.

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #3434
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
You'll see mine looking pretty naked accessory-wise as I was told the ones I ordered with bike will be delayed until OCTOBER . So the only farkle I have for now is heated grips, which been used in anger here in unsunny Canberra everyday since I got the bike.

Accessories I have on order are the outback pack (side panniers, head light protector, bash plate), the top box and the engine crash guards. If aftermarket items appear before my OEM stuff comes in then I'll probably cancel the order for the OEM stuff.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #3435
BIKE-R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
First failure on XTZ1200

As i wrote 1 month ago my mate bought a new XTZ1200 and was very happy until now. I received a mail from my mate and i've tried to translate it literally:
"Hi guys, i have a bad news
I am afraid the new XTZ1200 is a fake enduro.
If somebody think to buy ST should think it over once again.
ST arrived to the service on trailer :(
After 5000 km (last 1500 km used on-road/asphalt) the cooler radiator was punctured.
My opinion is that happened due assembling mistake (the cooler fan wasn't assembled proper or damaged/deformed). That happaned the edges of cooler fan blades were polished the radiator.
According the Yamaha dealer's opinion its happened due the "NON PROPER USAGE". It wasn't manufacturing mistake.
If the Yamaha is true then the ST only on-road bike (but for this usage i have a more proper bike, FJR)
I admit the ST sometimes was tumbled down with 2-5 km/h but nothing was damaged (on side panels/covers aren't any scratches,cracks,etc)
The noise of cooler fan didn't change since i started to use (during 5000 km)
This bike is on sale :("

PS: The cooler radiator costs 1000 US$

Sorry for my bad english.
-------------------------------------
'03 HONDA XL1000V VARADERO, '06 SUZUKI DRZ400S ADV

BIKE-R screwed with this post 07-25-2010 at 11:13 PM
BIKE-R is offline   Reply With Quote