Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 AM   #1126
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom81
Hi,

As people may know from my recent thread I'm considering buying an XT660R. I have also thought about a Transalp, mostly because it's cheaper and I know all about it (have ridden TA for the last 8 years).

But now I fell over this thread about the Dommie, and made me think if this is the bike for me.

When comparing the two bikes, XT660R and the Dommie, there quite equal. But how's he dommie om the highway. I know it's not meant for 100 mph rides. But will it do 70-80 mph without any trouble or.. ??

Mostly I'm thinking about the Dominator because it's lightweight, cheap and reliable :-)

thanks,
Tom

I heard the xt660 is better on the highway. meaning its more happy to sit at higher speeds. You can do 70mph all day on a dommie it will also do 80 but the xt660 will be more comfy at that speed. And then i dont just mean the vibs but aso the engine. The dommie will start burning oil when its running on high rpm for a longer time.

The difference is mainly watercooled vs air cooled. Just sort out for your self what bike you need. If its pure commuting on paved roads get the XT660 if its more offroad orientated i would go for the dommie.
jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #1127
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge
I ordered the pannier racks awhile ago and they are supposed to be on my front door tomorrow. What are these tricks so I know gong into the install?
1- keep all the bolts loose until you have everything lined up, then tighten them all at the end.

2- There is a bolt near the chain, it passes throug from the outside, uses a spacer and has a nut on the inside. I think it mounts to the left passenger peg.
The chain can rub on the nut.
Do not use the spacer and pass the bolt from the inside to the outside so the nut is on the outside. This will provide clearance for the chain.
McVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #1128
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
I recently ordered a Hagon rear shock for my NX. Like most NX parts it will take around a month to get here but I'll let everyone know how it rides once I get it on. Not a nigh performance shock by any means, but should be noticeably better than stock.

Now, i could be crazy but i thought someone did a detailed write-up on how to install the hepco and becker pannier racks. I did an extensive search and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have a link to it? Or did I just imagine it?

I was sure that I did a write-up on here, but can't find it now

Anyway, I copied it to the XRV Wiki

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #1129
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,792
Installing XR650L front forks on an NX650

If you want to do this fork conversion on your NX you'll need the forks, triple trees, axle, speedo drive, speedo cable, wheel spacer, bearings, and brake caliper from the XRL. You'll need to do a little grinding so the ignition switch won't rub, but otherwise it bolts right in. The steering lock will no longer line up, but that's not a big loss.

The biggest thing to consider is that these forks are 2" longer than the NX's. To fix the geometry issue you can shorten the XRL forks, do a supermoto conversion*, or put a taller shock in the back to jack it up to match. If you did nothing to correct the geometry, the longer front forks would give you more trail, and therefore more high-speed stability, but the bike would not corner as sharp at low speeds.

* The 17" front tire will drop the front end 2 inches.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #1130
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Rear disk brake conversion

The most straightforward way to put a rear disk brake on your bike is to find the rear disk parts from a Euro spec bike. Try eBay France. Parts you'll need: rear wheel (hub, spokes, rotor), caliper, master piston, and brake lever. You'll have to weld a bracket to the frame to mount the master cylinder.

Another option:
The rear wheel and brakes from an '87-'90 CBR600F "Hurricane" will mount to an NX650 fairly easily. I've found a number of these bikes for less than $500 on Craigslist. You'll need the rear wheel, caliper (with mounting bracket), and master cylinder. Cut the brake stay bracket off the CBR swingarm and weld it to the NX swingarm. Welded a mounting point for the master cylinder to the frame. You will also need to modify the brake pedal, or an XR650L pedal may work instead. The CBR rear wheel is a 17x3.50. The rear brake (CBR600F) is a two pot caliper, which will make the rear brakes work better than the front. This isn't a problem on asphalt, but on dirt it locks up easily.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 09:48 AM
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #1132
Tom81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I live in europe, so the whole rear disc-brake thing is not an issue.

I've read on another forum that it's possible to do a complete suspension+rear swingarm swap from an XR600R.

That would be interesting :-)
Tom81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #1133
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick
Hi Tom,

My '88 NX650 will cruise at 70mph all day long on the highway, with Dunlop D606 knobbies.

The tires I have are speed rated at 81mph so I keep it around 70mph.

Before the dunlops I had more type tires on and had little issue quickly getting up to 95mph in some passing situations. It was comfortable enough at 95 that I was surprized when I looked at the speedo, although I don't think it is really meant for sustained speeds that high.

Once you put on luggage and the like it's certainly most comfortable 55-70.

Regards,
Brian
I have an '89 onto which I have installed the 36L top loading Caribou/Pelican luggage, which I've been told looks about the same as having small filing cabinets bolted to the side of the bike.

I can easily redline in top gear with stock sprockets (97mph). I normally cruise comfortably 80-85 mph on the freeway.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #1134
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone has the ortlieb drybags on his nx650? need some bags and wondering if they go straight on or need additional racks or something like that to keep em away from the exhausts.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #1135
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5
Anyone has the ortlieb drybags on his nx650? need some bags and wondering if they go straight on or need additional racks or something like that to keep em away from the exhausts.
You will need something to hold the any bags away from the exhaust.

I haver the HB pannier racks and the Ortlieb bags that clip on.
I'm still testing the bags out a bit and I'm a bit concerned with the plastic clip mechanism.

I just walked in from a ride and on a dirt road that had a bunch of woops and washouts one of the bags popped off and I was a good quarter mile away before I noticed!

Some of the Ortlieb bags hang from straps and may be more secure. I wanted to try the clip on bags because they mount lower and take the wieght down low to help preserve your CG. Many of the strap suspended saddlebags hang way up hight unless you get longer straps.

I hope that helps a bit. Take alook at post 1011, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1011

Brian
Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #1136
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah im looking for those bags with straps. Most bikes i have seen em on simply hang em on their bike. I still have the original exhaust with the little heat shields on them just wonder how effective their are from keeping the bags melting.

jj5 screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 03:27 AM
Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #1137
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

I have seen the plastic shield on those bags melt. I believe it was on a KTM950 or a DR650, neither bike had a rack to keep it away from the exhaust.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1138
Bluesmudge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have yet to find a soft bag solution that works with the NX. The positioning of the exhaust is terrible for any type of luggage that hangs over the seat. I melted my side plastics trying soft saddlebags and removed a layer of paint when I tried the Giant Loop (although this seems like the best soft solution I could find).
In the end I have decided to go with small hard luggage which I am in the process of putting on the bike.
Bluesmudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #1139
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oversized gas tank

The following is paraphrased from recent discussions:

Oversized tanks were produced by Acerbis and discontinued around 2005. An additional small batch of about 10 tanks from Acerbis were produced for a group buy around 2008. Two NOS oversized tanks were found as recently as 2009, but as far as i know, all oversized tanks are spoken for. (Thanks to JJ5 for this information)

There are no other big tanks being made or tanks from other models that bolt right on. You have to modify your own tank or be lucky enough to find a good secondhand one on ebay, but there are other looking as well. When they come up for sale they usually sell instantly.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 01-11-2011 at 09:07 PM
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #1140
McVick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have yet to find a soft bag solution that works with the NX. The positioning of the exhaust is terrible for any type of luggage that hangs over the seat. I melted my side plastics trying soft saddlebags and removed a layer of paint when I tried the Giant Loop (although this seems like the best soft solution I could find).
In the end I have decided to go with small hard luggage which I am in the process of putting on the bike.

What hard bag solution are you going with?