User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Talking 3 Day Riding north on the Great Western Trail

I started this ride Thursday after work. The bikes were already loaded and we were out on the trail by 5pm. My brother-in-law Scott came with. I ride a 2001 KTM 520 and Scott rides a 2004 KTM 525. Here are the bikes leaving Scott's house.

We started in Price, UT and went up Consumers Rd to Clear Creek UT.

As we came within 10 ft of the Clear Creek pavement this was blocking the crossing.
We had to get creative to pass the train which was stopped to load coal and wasn't going anywhere for hours.
Then a few miles of pavement to Scofield, UT and up Bear Ridge to Skyline DR.

When we hit Skyline Dr. we got on the official Great Western Trail. From here it runs north to Canada and South to Mexico. We went north and hit highway 6 at Tucker Junction. From there Scott had to run south for 5 miles to Solider Summit for gas and then back. We rode less than 2 miles north to Tie Fork Canyon. And back to dirt.

Tie fork is 2 track for a few miles and then turns into single track.

Awesome single track.

And that would be the theme of this ride from here and for hundreds of miles north. Great single track to awesome single track to very hard technical single track. We weren't quite ready for some of it, and we were loaded too heavy for a lot of it.

Tie fork hits the Strawberry Ridge road, but just crosses it, and then there is another 20-30 miles of single track running parallel to it. We were stopped by darkness in the middle of a cow beaten mountain meadow. Just 30 minutes before the most beautiful pristine meadow. But no, we get to sleep in a pile of cow dung. Besides, Scott noticed a clunk clunk sound out of the back of his bike right there. Turns out he is down to 3 loose rear sprocket bolts. The other 3 fell off somewhere back there. Guess its time for camp.

This camp looks flat, but the tent is in the only flat spot. The rest of the meadow is sloped 20-30 degrees. I happened to have an extra sprocket bolt in my bolt kit, and we pulled one out of my rear sprocket, and that gave us 5 out of 6 each. Good enough for us.

The next morning we wake up and decide we need to do a little more work on Scott's bike. He is leaking engine oil badly out the stator cover gasket and has leaked all of his rear brake fluid out. So we cut down Third Water Canyon to Sheep Creek Road. This is a really hard section of single track with quite a few dead fallen trees. Glad I don't have to go back up it. I am also glad I had a rear brake, unlike Scott. From there we pop down Hobble Creek Canyon into Springville, UT. Get some DOT 4 and engine oil at NAPA. We lock tight and re-tighten Scott's sprocket bolts and we are good to go. We also grab a burger as revenge on the cows that stunk out camp last night. Then we go back up Hobble Creek Canyon to Pole Heaven Canyon.

That connects to Squaw Peak Rd. which has Awesome views into Utah Valley.

After coming down thousands feet of elevation we hit Highway 189 in Provo Canyon. We have to hit pavement for 8 miles up past Sundance Ski resort to the start of American Fork Single track.

We Stop for lunch after a few miles of Trail 157.

This section of Single track is almost always on the side of the mountain like this.

Or it is climbing really steep grades with switch backs or tons of loose softball size rocks. Or decending the same. But, it has breath taking views.

After 15 miles of this I had enough. I told Scott I have to get off this mountain. Wrestling the heavily loaded KTM was beating me up. So we grab a trail down to forest lake.

We had planned to camp again but I was really exhausted so we road down American Fork canyon to Lehi where Scotts brother lives and we crashed on his floor.

blazerjeremy screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 12:27 PM Reason: Adding more.
blazerjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
goner
addict

Oddometer: 204
Awesome trails and ride guys , thanks for sharing
goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
blazerjeremy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Day 3

So the next morning we decided to skip a boring section of the GWT and trailer-ed 50 mile north to pick up the GWT in Ogden Canyon on hwy 39 next to Pineview Reservoir at the Skyline trail-head. We did this because we would pick up 2 more riders on that section. Scotts brother Kevin and his 13 year old son Derek rode the 3rd day with us.

Kevin also rides a KTM 525 and Derek rides a Yamaha wr250. As you can tell in the photo Derek is a very big healthy 13 year old. And rides the WR better than I could.

The Skyline Trail is spectacular!! It goes from 5000 feet to just shy of 10000. And is 40 miles of the most fun single track I have ever ridden.

After Lewis peak we Stopped for lunch and had to crawl into some bushes for shade.

The trail follows the ridge of the Wastach front and looks down on Ogden and all the other cities from a mile up.

It is also very VERY technical, we were glad we had unloaded the camping gear and the lighter bikes helped alot.

There are Mountain Goats in the cliffs along Skyline trail. They let us get really close for some pictures.

The trail drops to Mantua Reservoir and after 40 miles of hard trail we called it quits for the day.

blazerjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Man, that's a gorgeous ride!! Thanks for the pics
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
slomon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
awesome!!! i need to bring my bike next time i'm in slc.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I got to do some of the trails you rode on a few years back with the UTMA guys. ( Hobble Creek ) It was the best single track I have ever rode on.

I was thinking of going back -and now after seeing your report it is a must do !

Thanks

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,735
Very Cool!!!

I lived in American Fork and Santaquin for a year and a half in the mid 90's and loved it. I had no clue those trails were there, even after doing some off-roading in the area. Beautiful country for sure.