Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #3601
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD

Cheers
Graham
Notice the windshield on the right bike is higher than the left. So which is the default setting since yamaha says there is only one height??
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #3602
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow
Notice the windshield on the right bike is higher than the left. So which is the default setting since yamaha says there is only one height??
The one on the left appears to be the tall factory option windscreen set on the lowest setting where as the one on the right is the standard one set to the high position.

Well that's what it looks like to me.

Cheers,
Dave.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #3603
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Default is the low one on the left. At least that's how mine came out of the crate.

Excusing my ugly mug, here's a pic that shows how the screen came on mine.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 01:08 AM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #3604
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise
Default is the low one on the left. At least that's how mine came out of the crate.
Hmm, it may be just an illusion.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #3605
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Filled up today and got my first full tank to full tank economy figures. 19.09 litres for 366.1 kms which works out to 5.2 l/100kms. Interestingly, this differs quite notably from the bike's own economy guage which read 4.7 l/100 km.

This works out to be an 11% optimistic reading by the bike which could lead one to believe there was 47 kms more range (489 vs 442 km) in the tank than there actually was.

On the pessimistic side, I had ridden with the last fuel bar flashing for about 40 kms when I filled. This low fuel indication is supposed to come on with 3.9 litres left in the tank, yet that is the exact amount I had left when I filled, so it appears the low fuel indication came on about 40 kms early.

Not a biggie, as all these indications are just, well, indicators so they should never be relied upon in isolation; at least not until you have characterised them. In this case I can truly say YMMV

Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #3606
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave
The one on the left appears to be the tall factory option windscreen set on the lowest setting where as the one on the right is the standard one set to the high position.
Nope, both ar standard item, the high screen is a a different shape, more of a "Bubble" at the top, see Wasps thread for pictorials ;-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #3607
breaky33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
[quote=Baillsy]In relation to the mixture settings, i haven't checked mine as i dont know the procedure, however, the only fault i have found with my bike is a labouring type of vibration from the engine when accelerating from 3000 - 3400rpm that disappears beyond 3400rpm. This seems to occur in any gear. Whether this is mixture / tune related i dont know.

Has anyone eles experienced this? Maybe i should stat by checking the co settings.

I am so glad someone else has mentioned this point. I made comment elsewhere of a not so perfect fuel mapping on the bike just above 3,000rpm only to be told I was wrong, and journos in Europe say its fine. Europe is Europe, and the bike fuel mapping here is not perfect.

I will be putting mine on a dyno and get it remapped ASAP. All new bikes are way lean in low and mid range to pass fuel and noise emission regulations.

Lots can be gained by getting this right. Cant wait!!!
breaky33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #3608
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
On the pessimistic side, I had ridden with the last fuel bar flashing for about 40 kms when I filled. This low fuel indication is supposed to come on with 3.9 litres left in the tank, yet that is the exact amount I had left when I filled, so it appears the low fuel indication came on about 40 kms early.

Not a biggie, as all these indications are just, well, indicators so they should never be relied upon in isolation; at least not until you have characterised them. In this case I can truly say YMMV
Well then doesn't yamaha then made it safe for the rider even if he presumed that the tank is dry he still have another 40km to find a fuel station in isolation??
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #3609
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Well then doesn't yamaha then made it safe for the rider even if he presumed that the tank is dry he still have another 40km to find a fuel station in isolation??

Its all coming down to your stance in Life!

Is your glass half full (YES!)

Or is your glass half emty... (Noooo!)

Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #3610
sinex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Size matters-Panniers

Being packing my bags, thought I would have a lot more storage space in the Tenere 1200, excluding top box, which I would not use,

The storage space is pretty much on a par with a Tiger 1050, but the shape of the inner bags is better (square) allowing more and better packing, my searches on the Internet have found:

Tiger 1050i 43 litres
XTZ 1200 Super Tenere 61 litres
GS 1200 50 TO 68 Litres
Multistrada 58 to 73 litre options
GS 1200 aluminium panniers 82 litres

Added 7th Aug 2010, Yamaha UK have advised me that the combined litres of the panniers are 61 (Not 46), 29 and 31, so the internet information I found is apparently wrong, so the panniers are much in line with a GS1200, apologies.

sinex screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 02:47 AM
sinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #3611
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Wink Ride for Life, The Movie...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #3612
yfis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68

Hey, That's sp!ke !
yfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #3613
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you are happy to fill up 40 km earlier than absolutely necessary that's fine, but I'd rather have a fuel gauge that I can believe and be able to reliably utilise that extra range.

The fuel gauge on a previous bike I had used to read under empty (analog gauge) with more than half the fuel left in the tank, which is just plain ridiculous. Fixed that puppy with a resistor across the sensor.

Thankfully the S10 fuel gauge's pessimism isn't anywhere near that bad and therefore should not hurt any Ewoks. But between the S10's fuel gauge and average economy display, the total error is > 20% (on my bike at least). Just something for folks to be aware of that's all.

SuperCruise screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 01:48 PM
Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #3614
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Thankfully the S10 fuel gauge's pessimism isn't anywhere near that bad and therefore should not hurt any Ewoks. But between the S10's fuel gauge and average economy display, the total error is > 20% (on my bike at least). Just something for folks to be aware of that's all.
Well it counts 10% extra so that isn't that bad, look at your GPS, at 110 on the clock it really goes 100 miles far per hour, its stupid, but its a fact with most bikes today, all to do with fines...

A meter in a tank is never trustable, cold petrol is way denser than warm, so the only recurity one can get is a metered 5 ltr can in the tankbag, and running on emptry in warm and in cold weather once, then you know average consumptinon with your riding style, and real tank volume, our different GSses with plastic tank differed 1,5 liter from 23,5 for the RR, to 22 for the whithe

Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #3615
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,349
Just came back from a test run on the Super Ten

Heres a pic of it in my front yard with 2 km's on the clock
I spent most of the ride in T mode and only switched over to S in the last few kms and what a difference! The bike feels very planted and it certainly goes well. I was amazed at the leg room and comfort. The centre of gravity was a real surprise as was the ease at which you can get it up on the centre stand.
Pity about -no heated grips standard, no gear indicator, horrible exhaust / sound, plastic guards, (all of these are of little concern and easily fixed) and the fuelling. This bike has a real harshness in the 3 - 3.5k rpm range like what you guys have mentioned. Feels like fuelling to me. The bike feels like it has a fair bit of restriction, i'd say add a new exhuast can and fiddle with the fuel map and it'll be real sweet.

I expect i'll drop a deposit on the bike on Monday.

One thing, you guys are talking about meddling with the O2 sensor readings i think? Does that have the same affect as having a Power Commander fitted?
Thanks
Bill

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote