Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
DC to Gaspe, Quebec - 85 K100 2up

After finishing my last ride report earlier this summer, it put the urge in me to take another trip. This time there would be a lot more constraints. I had two weeks of vacation, a 1985 K100 (in Ironman garb), girlfriend, and a 30th birthday to celebrate.

We started this trip on July 16th and finished the 1st of August 2010.

Where to go, where to go... My train of thought went like this:

I had a friend down in Mexico City which would be a proper adventure down and back. Its 2500 miles each way, I had just been to Mexico City in the fall, and it is hot as hell in DC this summer. The long miles and hot weather didn't sound appealing.

So perhaps somewhere out west or to the north. Out west would have been good, but its a lot of miles and would have eaten up a good chunk of time just getting out to the good stuff.

North then, Canada! Now where in Canada? Somewhere a bit more different than the states, more international flavor? Quebec then. I envy you guys living in Europe, drive a couple hundred miles and get into a completely different culture. Quebec would do.

Cindy took high school French, has been talking about studying it a bit more. A 30th birthday celebration in Montreal sounded pretty promising. I've heard they have some pretty good clubs there. Getting into the wilderness would be good, further up as well. The Saguenay, a Canadian Fjord with whales, ferries, and moose. Where to then, Gaspe, ride out to the end. Its not quite the same as hitting Panama, but its as good as I was going to get this trip.

Here is the route more or less.

We had a wedding to go to up in Erie, PA so that took care of where to go in the beginning. I'm from Pittsburgh, so it was a logical first night stopping area. In between we hit up Fallingwater as Cindy hadn't been there and the scenery around Ohiopyle is quite good.

Here is Cindy getting ready the morning of the trip, nothing like waiting till the last minute.

Her guns if I got out of line. (We were at Bob's BMW the day before buying some random things and they had temp tattoos. The roundel wouldn't be my first choice, no offense to those that have a bmw tat.)

Cindy would be badass if she could handle this bike looking like this.

Here we are getting the bike packed for the first time.

A bit of off roading around Ohiopyle to get to a scenic view.

A wedgie in Ohiopyle. Basically a pizza sandwich filled with sausage. It was damn good!

The mighty Youghiogheny River (yock-a-gheny at least in pittsburghese) "Yinz guys going dawn der to the yocka-gheny in ohiopyle?"

We stopped at Falling Water right near Ohiopyle. Definitely worth a trip. Designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935. Always makes me want to design my own house. Water plays such an amazing element in the house.

Didn't capture too much eye candy besides Cindy on this trip. Enjoy.

Iconic picture

Eventually we made it to Pittsburgh after getting pounded by rain for 5 minutes on the turnpike just outside of Monroeville. Some of the hardest rain i've ridden through, counting the Honduran tropical depression. It quickly stopped and we were nearly dried out before making it to my family's home north of pgh. The family wanted to celebrate so we went out to the Hofbräuhaus in the Southside of Pgh.

Beers in a liters. Yes please!

My nephew wanted to jump on the bike, a future ADVer for sure!

Here we are just before pulling out of pgh. I think this is where I crimped the centerstand in the limestone. It failed me, more on that later.

Next stop Erie.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote