Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
DeadRun vs. The San Bernardion Mountains!

On Saturday July 31, 2010 DeadRun (aka Shipwreck) set out on his 1995 Honda XR600R from Mentone Beach California heading for the San Bernardino Mountains... deadset on conquering every inch of a grueling ten mile dirt road known as Off Highway Route 1N12.

This is his report.
And now he will stop refering to himself... in the third person.

This is the first leg of my journey, a distance of approximately 2.7 miles (I'm not sure if Google Earth takes elevation into account), from Highway 38 to Morton peak.

This is Morton Peak, my bike parked at the botom of the fire watch tower!

The car belongs to the volunteer firewatch who was on duty at the Morton Peak fire watch tower, I was amazed this little sedan made the journey. I guess I'm dual sport arogant.

An amazing view of my motorcyle from the tower...

There were some amazing views of the mountain range, resevoir and the valley below from that tower. I just wish my camera phone could do them justice...

This was my favorite, I like the furthest sliver of mountaintop visible through the clouds... or is that smog? Probably the later.

I hope you enjoyed the views so far, but before I go any further I need to post this and see if the IMG codes worked (fingers crossed).
DeadRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #2
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Part II

Awesome it worked!

The second leg of the ride takes me from Morton Peak to this resevoir which I should know the name of but don't. Fun fact, the trail to this resevoir branches off from 1N12 about 2.1 miles from morton peak and although it existed when Google took this picture it was not recognized as a road and so the program wouldn't draw route along it. As a result I had to hand draw most of this route, large portions of the trail were completely obscured by foliage forcing me to guestimate and the program couldn't estimate a mileage. So I'm going to guestimaaaate... eight miles!

I had never been down this trail before, I've been riding straight up 1N12 to Angelus Oaks for months by this point, today I wanted to explore all the forks in the road I had been ignoring. I stopped to take the first picture the last couple of miles from the lake.

It was all going so well, until I found a gate blocking my path about a mile away from the resevoir. That sucked. But I had come too far to turn back now.

(You can see in the other picture that this sign isn't actually bent. I accidently moved my camera while shooting and instead of a blury shot, somehow this happened)

Here I am seriously considering hiking the last unknown distance to the lake.

I could have gone around the gate, but I didn't want to get in trouble, so I parked my bike with the Jeep...

...and trucks that had also been left outside the gate...

...threw my gear over my bike as it was too hot to hike in all that (later I would learn the wisdom of my decision to leave my flat black helmet heating in the sun)...

...and set off on foot! (pre-enactment) Here I am about to learn the hard way that motocross boots were not made for hiking.

As I neared the lake I could hear the screams and laughter of whoever came in all those trucks.

Appearently the water level had just gone down several feet, this mud pit nearly claimed my life...

Then I uterly forgot to take pictures of the lake! Sorry everyone... I need to get a helmet cam.

I left that lake with about three pounds of mud accumulated on my mx boots which as I mentioned earlier were not made for hiking. Plus it was uphill, this part sucked.

It felt like I was about to die, but I made it back to my bike, finally!

I had to turn my tshirt into a turbin somewhere along the way, and I drank all of my water.

These are the boots of a man who nearly sank to death in a mudpit... twice! I was hoping the cacked on mud would dry up and fall off along the way.

Should've listened at the lake when they told me I should wash them off before I left...

A short rest in the shade of my bike...

...then it was time to gear up!

My head is baking like a holiday ham in that helmet.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Part III

This is the third leg of the ride. I double back along the un-named trail and ride from the resevoir to a mountain peak that I should know the name of, but don't. I had the same issues making the map as last time.

The view from this peak was also amazing, here you can see the resevoir and if you look closely part of the trail I rode to get there.

This is the view North, deeper into the mountains.

Another of my favorite shots, this one looking west towards the resevoir, and eventually the Pacific Ocean.

North West.

North East.

The other end of the trail to the resevoir.

Here's a great shot of the trail I rode out to that resevoir...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Part IV

The fourth leg of my journey begins with the peak I don't know the name of
but should, and ends with the point labeled here as, "oops" which will be
explained later...

Oh, I didn't take as many pictures as I thought I did, so I guess it will be
explained now. As I came down the trail I gunned it up this almost steepish
incline, ran out of dirt, didn't turn hard enough and had to stop the bike at
the top.

I was stuck up here for a while, briliantly parked in a huge red ant nest
which I didn't take a picture of.

While I was stuck here I was passed up by a jeep that I had smoked on the
way up to that peak I don't know the name of but should, and another truck
which appeared to be driven by a hot chick. So I rushed to get back on the
trail, so I could catch up to those trucks assess the hotness of the driver
of the second truck, and re-smoke that jeep.

I ended up picking up the rear wheel and rotating the bike till it was facing
down the hill.

When I had righted the bike I put my helmet back on, and felt something
crawling on my face, very close to my eye. With the help of my peripheral
vision I discovered to my dismay that it was a red ant crawling on my face
very close to my eye...

These ants are very large, very aggressive ants which, I understand, bite
very very hard. So I very carefully removed my goggles and reached into my
helmet to remove the ant, but when I did it flew off my face and landed on
the mouthpiece of the helmet where I could see it more clearly. Flew? Yeah,
turns out it was actually a small wasp. So I fought back the urge to panic,
very carefully unstraped my helmet... then very quickly removed and thew my
helmet. After recovering my helmet, picking out all the sharp plant things
and checking it thoroughly for bugs; I threw it on jumped back on the bike
and raced to catch up with those trucks!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Pretty exciting for a day trip. I'm waiting to see if you caught those trucks

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Thanks Klaviator!

Unfortunately because I was trying to catch those trucks, I stopped stopping to take pictures at this point. Yeah it sucks, this is why I need a helmet cam.

So that's effectively the end of my ride report, although I will be back to post a couple more maps of where I went.

Oh, and just for the record, I ran down those trucks and smoked em again! Jeeps are slow!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
De Eee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Wicked

But was the girl hot?
De Eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

Hahaha, that's the question I would've asked. The windows were blacked! I couldn't even tell :(
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

The End

Alright everybody this is the end of my report. Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier I became distracted by running down slow jeeps and running out of gas, and stopped taking pictures. But I can still show you my maps...

Somewhere between my goof up and this peak above Thomas Hunting Grounds I caught up to the truck and jeep that had passed me before. I couldn't tell if the girl driving the truck was attractive or not, and both vehicles were just as slow as ever. So I passed them up and continued to the peak. When I reached the top my engine began to sputter and I realized I was running low on gas so I didn't even have time to stop and appreciate the view. Plus I wanted to get back on the main trail and pass up those trucks again, haha! Which I didn't appearently they weren't that slow...

And this is the very last leg of the ride from the peak above Thomas Hunting Grounds to the small town of Angelus Oaks in the San Bernardino Mountains. From there with the sun setting, a less than reliable electrical system and quickly running out of fuel I took the highway home. Time to slap the five gallon tank on that thing!

And here it is! The full map of the entire ride from begining to end, with all points labeled!

What I want to do next is ride more than twice as far from the same point on Highway 38 all the way to Big Bear Lake entirely offroad, if possible! So if there's anyone in the area who'd down, feel free to hit me up. I definently want some company for that ride. I'm gonna have to get on the regional forums...

Well hope you all enjoyed it!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
piratehood
discoverin' dual sportin

Oddometer: 90
I'd join you on that ride , but only if you go like Oct - Nov.
piratehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
DeadRun OP
Adventurer

@Piratehood

Awesome! My friends are planning a trip to NYC in October, probably without my bike :( not sure of the dates but if not in Oct def Nov... it's gonna be COLD though, there's gonna be snow and ice... hmmmm... sounds awesome!

Why wait so long though?