Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
SEQ Sunday Ride Aug 1 2010

That ain’t livin’ Barry….. This is LIVIN”

So rather than sit home and watch documentaries about the great outdoors it was time to get out amongst it and enjoy our wonderful Qld winters.

The ride started with 7 of us meeting up at Dayboro bakery ready for an 8am departure.
Me DR650, Cruz BMW 650 XC, Hodgo Super Ten, Peter GG BMW 800, Tinky BMW 650 Xcountry, Strummer BMW GSA, and Motylek on the Trans Alp.

We headed off at 8 towards Mt Mee as planned as we were due to meet up with a couple of Toowoomba natives at Kilcoy around 9.30.

The ride over Mt Mee was fairly uneventful with everyone getting their dirt shoes on fairly quickly.
Strummer was out on the big GSA for his first real try at anything tougher than a gravel freeway. The big girl was a bit skaty at first but once he adjusted the tyre pressures at Kilcoy to something a little more suitable things seemed to go a bit better for him.

A couple of pics from the Mt Archer creek crossing. There was water across that 2 days ago.

Once we arrived at Kilcoy we pulled into the servo to top up and we met up with Camboy12 KLR650 and his mate Bernie also on a KLR 650. We were also joined by the resident Yowie, Mr Dusty Rhodes on his trusty DR650.

So after a bit of fuel, a quick rest and some introductions we were off on our adventure.

First turn was Monsildale Rd. A local favourite. About 45 minutes of top class gravel rd, Some twisties, some fast bits and a couple of creek crossings.
The group got a chance to spread out a bit on this section so I decided to stop and take some photos at one of the creek crossings.
Hodgo came through just after me so I sent him on in the direction of the next rest stop with the idea I was going to get some photos as everyone went through and then pick up the back of the group.

Well, after Hodgo came Motylek. As I was to find out, this was his first creek crossing. Motylek soon found out that it is not advisable to give it a fistful of throttle on slimy wet cement.

This is the beginning of the end. You can just see the back wheel starting to let go here.
I unfortunately didn’t get and “Action shots” but from where I was standing it was quite spectacular. As I soon found out as well, that was his first stack. I hope the massage works and the neck isn’t so stiff tomorrow mate.

I did get a few others as they came through.

The money shot

Inspecting the damage

We regrouped at the intersection of Monsildale Rd and Kilcoy Murgon Rd.

A group of riders from Dalby came through and stopped for a chat. There was a nice looking Africa Twin amongst them so it was hard to drag Hodgo away to continue the ride.

We headed up Kilcoy Murgon Rd to Gallangowan where we headed into the forest to try to retrace a track I had done a couple of months ago. Amazingly enough we got through to the intersection with Porter Rd unscathed.

From here we headed south through some other tracks I had found on a ride with PeteMoss at New Year. Last time I went through this was dry and overgrown.
Today we found that the recent rains had some impact on the track and there had also been a bit of 4 wheeled traffic through as well. This made the track quite interesting.

There was a nice sized puddle where I decided to stop and try to induce some more carnage but the rest of the group was now awake up to my antics and knew that if I was standing near water with camera in hand there was something likely to happen if care wasn’t taken.
Everyone got through this one unharmed.

Motylek taking it a bit easier this time

From here we followed the Eastern Branch Rd around the back of Mt Stanley and through to the intersection with the Western Branch Rd.

I’ll let Hodgo tell the story of his close encounter of the Mr ED kind once his legs stop shaking. That might take a few days though.

A short rest at the intersection and then onto Moore for lunch.

Some of us were privileged enough to witness a display of raw talent from a group of the local Crusty Demon wannabes on our trip towards Linville.
All the appropriate riding gear of course. Well boots and helmets at least, to go with the shorts and tshirts, 2 up on unregistered MX bikes on the back wheel side by side around blind corners. There must be something in the water up that way.

Lunch stop at Moore and everyone headed off in their different directions to home.

A wonderful day out with a great bunch of people. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

Hardhead screwed with this post 08-01-2010 at 04:25 PM
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Strummer
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,176
Woohoo!

Rob, thanks for an awesome ride and a very entertaining ride report.
By the time we got through that muddy section, I was knackered. 15 klms of terror (waiting for a 250 kg booby prize to land on top of me) will do that to ya.
I thought I was doing ok, until Hodgo went past me like I was in reverse. Oh well, give it a couple of years (and a slightly lighter bike) and maybe I'll keep up with him
Was great to meet Dusty, the Toowoomba lads (thanks for stickin behind me), and the Transalp Terror. As usual, it's the great company that makes it all so much better.
After we left you guys at Moore, we (me, Peter and Tinky) had a rather boring (by comparison) trundle along the highway to home. Still, after all the adrenalin of the morning, I quite enjoyed it.

Cheers one and all, hope to catch up with you next Saturday.

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #3
Russ

Oddometer: 16,109
Great RR thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
Damn, that looked like a great day! As it turned out I did not work Today. Had I been paying attention I could have snuck out and found you guys?

Well done Rob. I'll get on one soon...I hope

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

TK,
There WILL be another time. Lots of stuff in the wind.

Cheers
Rob
Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,902
Twas a great day to be out on a bike in the country.

Strummer was becoming more confident on the big pig in the mud as the day progressed. As he said over lunch, "If I can do those tracks on the GS then they will be a pinch of &^%s on the DR.

Good to catch up with Dusty and the Woomba boys on the KLRs too, we will have to get up your way when it gets hot over summer.

Thanks for the great ride everyone.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
obe01
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Good looking ride guys

Sorry I missed this one guys, something came up, looked like you had a great day..
Poor old Maciek, had better days. No real damage I hope.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers.
Johnnie

Ten10
XT 600
obe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Thanks Rob for putting the ride together

As usual it's always a pleasure to meet some more like minded people to ride with

See you all again soon and here is my big photographic effort

Cheers Steve
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Lee Gunn
Thrilled to the CORE

Oddometer: 3,385
I enjoyed reading this report. I met Motylek in Brisvegas earlier this year. He seems like a character and a half. Hope he is not too batterd and bruised

tEaM gUnN
Lee Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
Bernie68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
G,day Rob
Thanks for organising a great ride and the weather.
Was good to to put some more faces to names.
Catch you all again soon.

Bloody freezing up here today

Bernie
Bernie68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie68
G,day Rob
Thanks for organising a great ride and the weather.
Was good to to put some more faces to names.
Catch you all again soon.

Bloody freezing up here today

Bernie
No problems Bernie, glad you enjoyed yourselves.
Even though the weather was kind I still managed to find some mud to play in though... It was fun.

Catch you next time

Rob
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Peter GG
Peter GG

Oddometer: 376
Hey Guys..

Tinky and myself really enjoyed today... great route and will be up for the next ride. Martina said she felt the terrain really challenged her and was probably her best adv ride to date. ie the forest / bush tracks rather then constant 'dirt roads'.

A few pics...

Cruz on his X Challenge.

The student and the teacher.. Tinky and Dusty.

The group in action..

Peter GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
Hardhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great to have you guys along and I'm glad you enjoyed the trails.
There is plenty of that stuff up that way that we do fairly regularly.
Keep an eye out for the next one.

Cheers
Rob
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Nice report, Rob. Sorry I can't make it this Saturday when you do the same again.
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote