User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
beffo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Went home for a visit

I went home to visit my parents for a few days, during my summer vaccation. This is the first time I've taken my bike home and also went on evning rides around where I grew up. It is 300 km from Gothenburg to Karlskoga and I usually take the car and use the motorways. But after a week touring the alps in switzerland, italy, austria () and riding thoose boring autobahn motorways thruogh all of germany... I had a hard time to not jump on the bike every morning. So I tried to only go on the smaller roads and stay out of the motorways.

I got a few pics from the woods outside Karlskoga and some old places on the ride back to Gothenburg. Thought I could share them. I will only comment some of them.

Theese open and empety forrest roads are just fantastic. As a noob in riding on gravel they are just perfect.

Funny story... This lake is 20km from my parents house. It was when I've come back after the ride it struck me. When I were 14 years old my family celebrated midsommer at the other side of this lake at a small farm/summer house. As the evning past by me and a friend got bored and around 11pm when none of the parents cared any more () we found a 1967 cresent moped and took it for a spin round the lake. First time I were on a motorbike/moped

This kind of beauty.

Well, not the road I expected... But I came out on the other side. Although it had rained for a week this roads was ok to ride without risk of getting stuck.

Playtime! I've left my parents and headed for Gothenburg. Along the paved countryside roads there are a number of gravel side roads that has been used by logging machines or as this one led to a quarry (is that the word?).

Aiming for Västgöta-slätten to find smaller roads and a nice scenery.

OK, I recognize Varnhem from the fictional books about "Arn The knight Templar". Tought I just go and check it out.

Varnhems Abbey buillt in the 12th century. This is where the fictional charachter Arn grew up and learnt how to fight before he went out on crusades. The Books are said to be inpired by legends of a swedish Knight templar in this time which had a son Birger Jarl who later became the Kings advisor (not sure though).

The lake "Hornborgarsjön" popular among birdwatchers. I don't know why it is so special but it is a nice scenery.

This is a bit to cultural for my taste, but hey a photo opurtunity
To quote the Brittish stand up comedian Eddie Izzard in San Fransisco : "Hi, I'm from Europe... you know... where History comes from"

Another Abbey in Gudhem. Also visited by Arn the Knight Templar.

Wohoo! I'm in the nuns bedroom! I bet there wasn't to many guys in here at that time. Or was it?...

Queen Kristina Sunesdotter's Sarcophagus.

The churh to the left and the former abbey to the right.

Back on the road headed to Vårgårda where I took the motorway to Gothenburg.

I Thought that I could try some forrest roads outside Gothenburg as well. But this one was soaking wet an i got far into the woods before I found a place where I could try to turn around... And gots stuck! But it wasn't that hard to get out of there. the problem was that it was so wet the back wheel just sank.
I know you would probably laugh at me as I'm a newbie at this. But that was my first time getting stuck. It was fun! and I got tired

beffo screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 05:46 AM
beffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,920
Nice ride!! Such beautiful countryside!!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Ramage
needs improvement

Oddometer: 208
beffo: Thanks for the report and pictures. Very nice.
I always wondered where history came from!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
beffo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramage
beffo: Thanks for the report and pictures. Very nice.
I always wondered where history came from!
Now you know!

I have to say... I would really like to do more trips to Värmland (the area where i grew up). It is less populated and it is very easy to find open and empety nice roads i the forrest. You can ride between lakes on small gravel roads for long distances. And you would probably just see a handful of cars all day.
beffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Very nice pic's. Thank you!

The history in Europe is so much longer than ours....

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
AK NIMROD
CHEECHAKO ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 43
very nice pictures, would be great area to ride and explore
Thanx
AK NIMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Rebelspawn
Wanna Touch It?