Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
Anton, What makes it a harder install?
It's a pretty stout press fit, whereas 5th slips on and off. That's all. Once the bearing is removed, in each case.

Quote:
I agree the lower first makes more sense than the higher high. For instance, I have a 2.91 final drive in a 90S, my fourth gear is the same as fifth with the standard 3.00 FD, shifting up to fifth drops the revs about 3%. 70 mph is about 3700 rpm in fifth, so I still have 3500 rpm to play with.

What I do notice is how much clutch slipping I have to do to get rolling...
I have the exact same scenario! I put a 5-speed into my R75/5 which (being an early one) has the 2.91. I installed the short first for that very reason. It's a really wonderful setup now. But for a G/S where your FD gearing is short and options are basically nonexistent, the short 1st might be overkill and the tall 5th might be welcome.

Quote:
Problem is my bike has a late run '74 box according to the numbers that Snobum posted. So I don't want to do any internal messing around with it.
Good idea. The gears in question are not directly compatible before 1977 anyway. If the oil stays clean, I'd probably just keep riding it for now. If it needs repair at some point, put your $$$ toward a newer box instead.