User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,430
Texas to Goose Bay, Labrador -Solo- 2010

I attempted this trip in August 2009 and cancelled it after riding two weeks during Hurricane season and dodging Hurricanes Bill and Danny. After getting to Maine, I decided that paying to go to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland so I could sit and watch rain was a poor choice! So back to Texas for Plan B….go in June of 2010.

Now Phase 1 of plan B, Amendment 6, Modification 3, Version 4, reprint and do-over twice (This is starting to sound like a government operation, isn’t it!) is now under way. Several friends offered to ride with me for several stages but most backed out and I rode with Eric for two days in Illinois. Most riders have more sense than to start a trip that required BOTH hot and cold weather gear, and survival & camping equipment.

My objective was to go all the way to Goose Bay, Labrador, tackle the Trans-Labrador Highway, camp out as much as possible, go slower, see more, take lots of photographs, see old friends, make new ones, stay off the super slab, use as many small roads as possible, and smell a lot of roses. This is the first trip that I have ever planned with no time frame except to be at ferries when I had to. I didn’t know when I would be back home and I decided to spend more time talking to folks along the way – especially the old veterans in the breakfast cafes along the way (now that I am one!)

Day 1 - June 6 (Odometer 46461) Low temp 80°, high102° in Denton, Texas. Stopped at the McDonalds in Whitesboro, TX. My ‘02 GSA looks like it has already hit a dozen yard sales:

Hustled up to Arkansas where there are no bad motorcycle roads! Ran up Hwy 123 from Clarksville to Harrison…always a great ride! Dodging buzzards, turtles, tourists (oh, I are one!), and the usual dead deer.

Piney River Bridge:

The Mt. Judea store sells T-shirts that say “I survived Hwy 123” – I passed on that one: I didn’t need to double my summer wardrobe yet!

I started looking for a campsite about 4:00 PM and found several state parks closed (seems the economy has hit a lot of states and these are high on the hit lists). I considered pulling off and finding a remote campsite – or like we said in Recon, a harbor site…however, here it could become a “kudzu cavern or coffin” and grow over the tent, bike and all by dawn! (like the song “The MTA”…. “Will he ever return….” That’s what happens to your mind when you listen to XM Radio while riding.) I also noticed that campgrounds are not popular on small back roads, and by 8:00 PM, I felt like a glazed donut so I opted for a small Mom and Pop motel near Poplar Bluff, MO. I know, you are saying to yourself: “what a wus!” Captain Morgan and I assumed the position!
Ending Odometer – 50,088 = 647 miles.

Day 2 - Poplar Bluff - low 83°, 94° high. I headed up into Missouri and drove east on Hwy 142 to Fisk, where I really appreciated the city park rest rooms for their instant availability and very clean condition (enough said- use your imagination!!) For the record, a lot of construction zones have porta-potties in case of any gastric distress!

Went to Cairo, IL to see Fort Defiance at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers but it was closed down, chained shut and overgrown! I then went north on Hwys 3 and 127 to meet Eric in Anna, Illinois. We went east to Golconda and Cave in Rock;

Cave in Rock:

This was a site of river pirates back in the day! There is also a small free ferry that goes over to Kentucky that I had taken before.

We then headed north on small back roads looking for campgrounds and found a city park in Grayville, Ill that was free, quiet and had all the necessities (rest rooms were a little rough). There were two restaurants downtown (1 Mile) and we had steaks at one and breakfast at the other. Eric and I flew helicopters in the Marines and Captains Eric (who has quit drinking) and PackRat had a great night (without Captain Morgan’s – the things we do for friends!) and assumed the position of “duty rack
Ending Odometer – 50412 = 324

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,772

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 3 – Jun 8, Low 70°, High 95°. We made a leisurely departure after a long breakfast and conversations with other vets and went North on Hwy 1 and 33 to Wabash River at Hutsonville, where we split up so Eric could go back to work. I crossed the river into Indiana and continued north on Hwy 63 and east on 245 where I promptly had a flat rear tire. (Of course, it was drizzling.)
Tire:

I unloaded all the gear and had to dig a small groove to get the center stand down. Getting the Pig on the center stand without the 4 plus inches of rear tire lift is a bitch! After cleaning and searching I finally found a small U-shaped flap that hid a nail hole. I got it plugged and inflated while it continued to rain.

Got all “My sierra in one bravo” and headed to Greenfield, IN where I stayed in a KOA Cabin to dry my mesh gear while a BIG storm went east over me that night.
Ending Odometer – 50660= 248 miles and very wet! Squish, squish, squish…

Day 4 – June 9 RAIN, high 87 ° – broke out the ‘Stitch and packed dry mesh gear. All the creeks, ditches and rivers were full, and by 9:00 AM, the sun came out when I stopped in Anderson, IN for a McD’s biscuit. A nice guy named Rudy, who was a coach, proudly advised me that Anderson had the largest high school gym in the state. Nice to see a lot of pride in a person. Lunch consisted of a Gatorade fierce grape and 3 Fig Newtons – did I mention I wanted to lose weight? Highway74, the smallest of the paved roads got even narrower:

Hwy 74:

I later had to almost stop for a girl in a Firebird on the one lane section – she was smart enough not to trust the wet shoulder on the farm road. Beautiful farms, straight rows – I think they use a GPS with “auto steer”. The smells after a rain are also clean. Found a neat campground near a lake:

Camp site:

And the paper work:

Ending Odometer – 50970 = 310 miles

Day 5 – June 10 low 60° high 80° . West Salem Ohio to Gainesville, NY. Beautiful back country roads – lots of Amish farms. Found a nice wooded campground on West Hoy Creek.

And, of course, Captain Morgan:

OK, no more campsite Photos - ya'll get the idea!
Called my wife, as I do every night when I stop (so she won’t send the Marines or Highway Patrol to look for me), and she informed me that a campground in Arkansas had been flooded and people were drowned and missing. Hmmmm, where is the high ground?
Ending Odometer - 51335 = 365 miles.

Day 6 -June 11 Gainesville NY to Baldwinsville, NY to visit another Marine friend, David, and his son Jack. Enroute stopped at Letchworth State Park Gorge:

This park is immaculate – the staff obviously work hard to make it pristine. Mount Morris is a quaint little town that seems very relaxed.

Stopped at Lake Canandaigua and after reading about the wine tour, decided to save the Erie Canal and fingerlakes for a future RV trip with my wife.

Stopped at Barcelone NY and a cute girl in this store put a gun to my head and made me buy a BIG chocolate chip cookie which I enjoyed as I looked at the Barcelona Light house.

Ending Odometer 51500 = 165 miles

On Sat, June 12, David, Jack & I toured the Lake Erie Canal locks and Fort Ontario at Oswego, where I forced David and Jack (at gun point) to eat BBQ at the Dinosaur BBQ:

Think this tire is the right choice for the Trans-Labrador Highway?

We also went to David’s sister’s home on the St. Lawrence waterway near Alexandria Bay. The thousand island area is really impressive. Some islands are considered in the US and some are in Canada.

Day 8, Sun, June 13 Odometer 51500, Lows 60s high 89°. Drove up through Sackets Harbor, Rts. 3 to 9 to Vermont. Hwy 78 to Newport was tied up and slow with construction.

At Chazy, I saw pretty yellow flowers with Lake Champlain in background:

Stayed at Mountain Lake Campground ($31.00) at Lancaster, NH – very nice. With the cost of some small hotels around $55.00 and some campgrounds close to $41.00 for a cabin, it makes you re-evaluate the economic advantage of packing up wet camping gear.

Ending Odometer 51941 = 441 miles. I told you I was poking along!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 9 June 14 Lancaster to White Mountain State Park, very little traffic. Saw the first dead moose.
I had Breakfast at Glen Junction, then decided to drive north on Hwy 16 up New Hampshire then east on Hwy 2 then back south on 113 – a gorgeous ride.

Lots of ski lifts and expensive cabins – I toasted the God of Spandex at each ski lift!

Arrived in Gray, Maine at the home of friends Harry and Gail. I changed to TKC 80s that had 2400 miles on them from last year’s attempt. Wouldn’t do that again – I’ll always use new ones. The maximum mileage I can get out of new TKCs is 4500 miles to the bald spot on the rear!
Ending Odometer 52095 = 154 miles

Day 10 –Tuesday, June 15 at Harry and Gail’s – visited Wildlife Park:
Eagle with broken wing:

Infant moose:

Slow! We don't want a reptile disfunction!

Day 11 – June 16 low 50 ° at 6:00 AM, 75° at noon. Up to Norway for McDs biscuit again and saw a motorcycle accident as they were cleaning up scene. It looked as if the Bike slid about 40 feet as if it had been hit from the rear.

Baxter State park:

Logger's Restaurant:

Crossed into Canada at Van Buren and St Leonard. The Canadian Customs Agent was so good looking I could hardly speak without stuttering! She asked if I had ever been to Canada – then she seemed incredulous and wanted to hear about my Alaska trip on a motorcycle. Probably an interrogation technique! She asked if I had ever been to court in Canada – how did she know I was an inmate? She asked about alcohol and when I mentioned that I had some Captain Morgan’s rum in a canteen with a label on it, she laughed and said that was fine.

Then I headed up to Carlisle on the Gaspe and stayed in a small hotel where they speak only French.
Ending Odometer 52653 = 558 miles
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 12 June 17th 4:30 AM Daylight at 64°. Continued east on leeward (south) side of Gaspe, lots of full RV parks, lots of Provincial Parks, and low speed limit. You should allow yourself at least two days to do the Gaspe Peninsula. The north side is windward and cooler with gusty winds.

New Carlisle shore:

Coast near Perce:

Gaspe rocks:

One way traffic control countdown timer at construction sites - 220 seconds max.

Ferry gate—6 hours early: Schedule changed yesterday! So much for my prior planning!

Steel fabrication yard with dormitory units:

Commercial ferry loaded cars full of steel.with rail

Ferry to Baie Comeau ;

Ending mileage 52995 = 342 miles.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 13 June 18th Up at 4:30, 60°. Fueled up at 5:00AM See how bright it is!:

North on Hwy 389. Nice scenery, but more than an occasional pot hole to keep you alert. The whole area is supported by hydro-electric power and logging industry.

It is hard to take a photograph without a wire running thru it!

Electric power station:

Refueled at Manic Cinc and met a cute young couple on BMWs
just packing to head north. I told them about my weather brief that stated there was rain coming tomorrow. He was probably hoping for a few rain days!

Lots of construction. Takes a few miles to get my “Gravel Legs” back – memories of the Dalton and Laird Highways. 12° grades and clean rivers. Since I brought everything except pontoons, I wanted to get ahead of any potential weather problems (spelled MUD and full potholes!) so I figured if I could make it to Labrador City by 1:00 PM, then I could make it to Goose Bay before dark.

The road is not to be underestimated in daylight and is treacherous at night – not to mention the wildlife casually strolling down the road after dark! If you see a moose cow in the road be prepared for the bull to jump out and chase pheromones!

I brought enough food, water and survival gear for 3 days of sitting or wrenching.

Pavement is rare!

Typical small bridge:

The section from Lac Fire to Mont Wright was the worst: It parallels the railroad track, crossing it at least a dozen times; and the surface changes quickly with the over-abundance of potholes!

You don’t dare ride this road with the potholes full of water because you cannot tell the size or depth – much less dodge them! It would be helpful to find a pick-up to follow so you can assess the water hazard before hitting it! I stood on pegs most of the 20 miles. The fuel tankers made big dust clouds in the dry areas.

Lots of nice rivers:

Large Iron Mine near Labrador City:

Labrador City at 12:30, McDs Burger, map recon, ibuprofen, fuel and off we go again!

Re-fueled at Churchill Falls. Lots of construction with new (deep) gravel the last 20 miles into Goose Bay.

Requisite Labrador photo:

Did I mention dust?

Loooooonnnnng straaaaaaaaight road!

Construction - get used to it! He (or she) is dressed for black flies not cold!
Don't open your visor while you wait!

And of course, the Goose Bay sign!

I Got Hotel room and did laundry.

Ending Odometer 53729 = 734 miles of dirt, gravel, mud, sand, dust, rocks, but beat the rain!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
TexasRed
Not very fast

Oddometer: 151
So far so good. Thanks for the report.

2001 R1150 GS
TexasRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 14 - June 19th Goose Bay to Port Hope Simpson
Did a little shopping for gifts, packed clean clothes and headed to the gas station. While I was refueling a couple walked up and asked where I was going and I said “Port Hope-Simpson”. They asked “On the new road?” and I nodded in the affirmative. They said “I don’t know what you heard about it but it is 10 times as bad!” He pointed at his Camry and told me he “Almost tore up my car and it is 2 weeks until the next ferry!” As I was smiling, the wife looked at my dirty 'Stitch riding suit and muddy GSA and said “You must like that kind of road” with a trace of venom in her voice. I continued to smile and said “Yes Ma’am”.

I got to this sign and figured with the prospect of lots of lower gear riding I would be glad I stuffed the fuel tank (7.9 gallons) until it dripped overboard. This road was not marked well the day I was there and this sign is after you turn off Hwy 500.

I was constantly doing fuel computations from gallons to liters and miles to kilometers.

The first bridge had a steel grate deck with larger grate spacing than I had ever seen before and it was a “white knuckle” crossing as the knobbies sought any track but the one I was suggesting! I kept my head up, watched the other end of the bridge and let the bike wander “a little” but don’t expect me to tell you how much! It’s similar to teaching a student to hover a helicopter: “Keep your head up, look way out ahead of the aircraft . . .” I tried to make the motorcycle hover across that bridge!

This phase III had lots of construction in the heavy category – rocks the size of watermelons being dumped by trucks. The first 60 miles was fine but then the heavy stuff started and continued to about 85 or 90 miles. Very slow with 18 wheelers going so slow their trailers were swaying about 30 degrees each way at 5 mph. One finally stopped and waved me around.

Temporary bridge:

Construction crew is changing a couple of tires on this big blue dormitory trailer:

Some of the pickup traffic was flying at 70- 80 mph, making dust clouds much like a crop duster! I was running as slow as 2-3 MPH over the bulldozer divots and as fast as 70 on the good gravel. I came close to dropping the bike in a cross ditch the dozer had made to drain a gravel pit, from which they were hauling large loads. Seeing my predicament, the flagman actually jumped out of my way!

One of several temporary bridges:

If I had to sit through this construction, so do you!

They did try to level it!

Alexis Bay, finally!

The bridge to Port Hope Simpson in the distance:

I started at 10:45 AM and got to Port Hope Simpson 265 miles later on reserve fuel at 5:30 PM = 6 hours + 45 minutes either in the saddle or on the pegs. Very challenging surface and a million potholes. Lots of very remote rivers, tundra-like marsh, tall evergreen trees and a long straight road.

I saw no wildlife, but did see tracks of some bikes ahead of me.

Stayed at Alexis Hotel ($60.00) which had a good restaurant.
Ending Odometer 54004 = 265 miles.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 15 – June 20 Father’s Day. 52° Got up at 4:00 and took photographs of the sun rise over Alexis Bay:

5 minutes later 4:15 AM without the shore in the foreground:

Calculating time to ferry landing at Blanc Sablon beyond Forteau.

I dodged potholes all the way to Red Bay. Snow on road side in drizzle.

Typical Terrain for coastal Labrador - very remote!

Iceburgs are still floating in the bays.

The ferry landing at Blanc Sablon and the pavement starts but still has potholes in it:

At the ferry landing:

Map showing the ferry from Labrador/Quebec to Newfoundland:

Met other inmates Jack, Ray, Joe, and Fletcher at the ferry landing. Jack was venting the magic smoke out from under his dash!

The ferry was great and even the food was pretty good.

Inside the ferry:

We left the ferry and I rode with them up to St. Anthony’s. North west coast of Newfoundland:

The guys posting pics to ADVRider at Tim Hortons:

Went up to St. Anthony’s Bight and saw the Viking house and St. Anthory's lighthouse:

Had dinner with a couple of the inmates, then Captain Morgan & I crashed about 10:00.

Ending Odometer 54265 = 261 miles

Day 16 June 21 Up at 4:30 and off to Staitsview and L’Anse aux Meadows and saw 21 moose on the way up there! This is the northern most point in Newfoundland and the place where the Vikings landed.

Sorry about the fast focus attempts!
Typical small fishing shed with dock built out of logs filled with rocks.:

Moose showing me where to go!

Lobster traps:

Map of Labrador and Newfoundland:

Deadman's Cove was as close to a beach is there was.

Old winch for pulling boats up.

Down to Hawks Bay for breakfast – they are very Irish here and I could barely understand the waitress:

to be continued.....
Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Lots of Parks with restrooms at rest areas: (Now I look like I've been to every yard sale from Texas to Quebec!)

Then I was southbound down the west side of the Long Range Mountains – very gusty winds, drizzle, and the Gros Morne canyon was socked in:

Old dock at Hare Bay

Rain increases (54°) and at 6:00 PM I stopped in Grand Falls Windsor at a small hotel with a restaurant that cooked about anything you would want.

Ending Odometer 54723 = 459 miles

Day 17 June 22 44° and overcast. Head out early to Crow Head and Twillinggale.

Which half did they want me to take - the cold weather or hot weather stuff? I kept trying to call this Bitchy Bay!

Crow Head:

Rough shore line:

Provincial Park: Do you run toward it or away from it?

The smell of birch in the fire places is neat. Most of the small villages are residential without any restaurants.

Went south to Gander Bay then E. on 330 to Musgrave Harbor and down to Dead man’s Bay:

Be careful that when you turn down the loop that goes thru the villages, often the gas station is back on the main road between the ends of the loop. Nice smell of the Atlantic Ocean, gusty winds and fog – you expected no less, right? The fog cleared at Lumsden and I head down to the docks at Hare Bay;
Over to Gloverton, Port Blandford, Hwys 230 & 235 to Kings Cove then back to Clarenville to stay at Bellevue Beach in Fiddler’s Green Cabins. One of the nicest places I stayed in and Ivan was really a nice host.

Fiddler’s Green:

Restaurant across the street.
Ending Odometer 55218 = 495 miles
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Day 18 June 23 47° and sunny Left Bellevue Beach to Conception Bay. Saw dead moose at Portugal Cove.
Checked tires:

This is what the sharp rocks on the Trans Labrador Highway (TLH) do to tires:

I Don’t thaink (that’s Texas for "Think" after long pondering!) that tire is going to make it to Maine for the waiting Tourances.

I head down to St. John’s to look for a tire. I am standing in a convenience store looking at a St. John’s phone book and holding the St. John’s map looking like an ADV tourist when a distinguished gentleman named Paul in an expensive suit walks up the me (in a really dirty “Stitch”). He asks if he can help me. “Is that your GS out front?” he asks. Turns out he is a retired Provincial Police Officer who is now in local politics. I had already called all the dealers in the book and he suggested that I call the Toy Box and ask for Keith. He actually dials the number in his Blackberry and asks Keith if he has the size I’m looking for and Keith climbs to the second deck to check out two used TKC 80s and says he has two I can choose from! These Newfies are fantastic!! Paul gives me his card and says to call him if I have any more trouble.

Off to the Toy Box! :

Keith drops the other work and jumps on my bike. As soon as he gets it on the stand he finds loose pivot bushings. He orders them and assures me they will be in by 11:00 the next morning.

Keith’s partner, Chris (and son Christopher) take me down town to the Quality Suites (another great place to stay) and get me checked in! Did I say these Newfies are Outstanding!!?? Everyone I met had such a great attitude and a “laid back” demeanor!

The hotel is right on the harbor and the narrows have eaten more than a few ships:

Self propelled crane:

I decide to walk all over the town, the harbor and out to Signal Hill:

The harbor seen from Signal Hill:

I walked up the streets and at the Angelican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist sat a young female meth user on a bench who said something with an accent I didn’t recognize and when I said “Huh?” she opened her legs and I said “No thanks”. I know….. this thread is worthless without pictures!

Down town:

They were renovating this building:

Lots of murals and colorful houses:

Very Historic harbor:
Canadian Coast Guard Ice Breaker

Had a great seafood dinner and several Old Sam and Cokes – Captain Morgan will excuse me while I check out the local rum – wouldn’t want to get any scurvy!

Georges Street has so many bars that they have T shirts with a long list of Georges Street Tavern Names on it. You can do some serious Pub Crawling here – more pubs and less crawling!

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

I came back to the room and took a night time shot out the window – without disabling the flash…Duh!. When I regained my vision.....

Ending Odometer 55314 = 96 miles - but lots of walking.

Day 19 June 24 Up and out early at 5:30 for breakfast at the Celtic Hearth Tavern:

Street vacuum cleaner:

Walked around town some more and looked at murals and brightly colored homes. Went out to the Toy Box and just as he said, Keith had the bike ready at 11:00!!!! These Newfies are A- OK!!! They all have a great sense of humor.

I load up and head for Cape Spear – the eastern most point on the North American continent. Gusty winds and neat twisty roads with low speed limits.

A local guy told me they lose about 6 visitors a year who get to close to the rocks and a wave takes them out – he called them CFAs “Came From Afar” because they are often foreign students.

Now this is where I should have decided to stay another 2 days (ferries to Nova Scotia are every other day) and ridden the Avalon Peninsula and explored the gun emplacements I saw from the ferry:

If any of you proud Newfies know exactly where these gun emplacements are located and whether they are accessible, please let me know so I can put them on my new bucket list. I don’t remember how long the ferry had been moving when I took the photos. I would have camped there for a day exploring.

I met the other 4 inmates at the ferry landing again. The ferry left an hour late but we didn’t care. We loaded our bikes:

Then we went topside and had dinner. We had bunks in the dormitory which was a good investment. I had a big dinner and one drink and hit the rack.

Day 20 June 25 70° and cloudy. Off the ferry and south from North Sydney. I decide that I am going to come back in the RV with my wife and tour Nova Scotia in detail.

I go to Capewell Rocks on Bay of Fundy to see the largest tide drop in the world, 4 stories. See the people at the bottom of the photo and the trees 4 stories above them:

I am hungry and have a craving for lobster!
I head south and stop at Alma for the Alma Lobster Shop:

To be continued.......

Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
tracer311
PackRat's son

Oddometer: 55
Awesome pics, Dad!
tracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

The Alma Lobster shop rocks!!
This was one of the high spots on the whole trip. I got a 4 pound lobster for $17.00 and change. Jason cooked it for me and it was fantastic. He has a degree in Information Technology and has most of the computer technician certifications but loves the lobster business. He gave me a great tour:

Jason shows me how to spot a healthy lobster:

These 5 tanks are about 50 feet by 20 feet by 4 feet deep full of graded and sorted lobsters for shipment. Water is pumped in from the Bay of Fundy and air is circulated to keep them fresh:

Now I am stuffed like a puppy dog full of buttermilk and I’m looking for a place to camp but it is Friday and the first Campground had a line with about 20 people at the desk.
I continue south to Pocologan to a Mom & Pop hotel that is nicer inside than outside:

The Captain & I observe the Moon rise over Bay of Fundy:

Ending odometer 55923

Day 21 June 26 Rain:

6:00AM Cross into US at Calais. Customs Officer Bryant and I discuss the post there and he mentions the action on the southern border is attractive but he loves working in Maine. I tell him about the good looking Canadian Customs Officers at St. Leonard and he advises me that the Canadians send a lot of good looking officers to this crossing also!
I go to the first gas station and a cute young girl “pulls a gun on me” and makes me buy a cinnamon bun:

I see a beaver lodge in Gardner Lake:

Then in Robbinston, ME I see a boat ramp with about 40 foot poles for the floating dock to handle the tide variation.:

I stopped at a mailbox store and unload all my cold weather, survival, food and cooking gear and ship it home.
Arrive at Harry and Gail’s
Ending Odometer 56238 = 315 miles

The rest of the trip was visiting old friends and family (who prefer to remain anonymous!) I did have to change the final drive bearings (which had not self destructed yet) in Virginia Beach :

and installed Tourances at odometer 57248.

While doing the GrandDad duties , young Reagan tells me about the significance of the dot on the side walls:

Then she gives me the ADV salute and goes to sleep!

And I ended up at the same McDonals 10,300 miles later:

Fantastic trip!!! Did not let the bike take a single nap!

Points to Remember or consider:

1. Solo is fun – you are never really alone.
2. Don’t try to stretch tire life.
3. Plan ahead for weather…..Aviation weather sources are your friends.
4. Don’t ride too late to find campsites.
5. Take time to talk to people. Most of us inmates are positive people doing things some people only dream about. Most of us will joke around and answer any questions.
6. The two most common comments I heard were “That is a serious motorcycle, have you been to all those places on the stickers!” and “You must have a very understanding wife!”

What’s next…..anyone been to the north end of Highways 6 and 280 to Sundance in Manitoba? Hmmm......Hudson Bay....

And then maybe over to Saskatchewan to Highway 2 north to 102 to 905 to Wollaston Lake

Ride safe!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
Thanks

Very quick but thoroughly enjoyable ride report to read.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=gun%20e...N&hl=en&tab=wl

here is a link to the Cape Spear gun emplacements - not sure if these are the gun setups you saw - national historic site.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s.../beaumonthamel

Another interesting bit about Newfoundland - world war one

Take Care
YK