User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Outside OP
Confused

Oddometer: 166
Dirt roads and side trails in NB with XT225's

With a free Saturday available to us, Moe and I decided to go exploring. We knew to start near Elgin for a trail I knew a bit and that Moe should see the Eye of the Needle lookout. How we'd get there from the trail and where we'd go from there was a mystery we decided we'd solve along the way.
Around Pollet River we jumped on the Atv trail for a short stint before reaching Elgin.

M
After a fuel up we took a quick jaunt to the transmission tower overlooking Elgin.

M

O

O

Soon later we were on the trail..

O

O

O

M

O

M

M

O

It was right about this point that I said to Moe: "Alright...I have no idea where we are now". We came out on a dirt road and chose to go left, soon riding by clearcut. The road narrowed to a double track and we followed it down till we hit a river so we decided to stop for lunch. A cool spot to camp, it even had a fire pit already in place.

M

M

O

M
After lunch we doubled back and rode for a bit till I got a bee stuck under my visor.

M
Note the look of apprehension in my eyes...real tough guy. A few shakes of the helmet and it was gone. The stop was convenient though. The sign says we're going the right way. The road connected to Mechanic rd and we were on our way towards E of the N.

Going up Mccumber Brook rd...

O

M

M
...then down the hiking trail to the lookout.

M

O

M

M

M

We decided to go to St Martins using the Salmon River rd. It wasn't long before I was hard on the brakes as these came into view.

O
We saw a large female on her own, then later two large males together. All looked quite healthy but sadly that was the only picture we got before they scampered.

As we got about 5 minutes from St Martins, frustration.

M

O
I know this pic's overdone but we were pretty cheezed off.

O
The sign doesn't mention road legal vehicles being restricted but there was no way around the gate. Even going through the woods wasn't an option as they had fenced the entire area.
Disgusted, this would be Moe's last pic of the trip.

M
We had to double back. With the recent rains dust was down in the area and there were quite a few puddles.

O
We were going to eat at Adair's Lodge but the parking lot was full with what looked to be a wedding party. Being a tadd under dressed we decided to have a quick bite in Sussex and take the highway home. It was a fun day and the conditions were perfect as was the weather. In retrospect, it was fun getting lost...I've got to do more of that.

Outside screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 04:41 PM
Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 795
Riding those trails in sneakers - Ouch!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Outside OP
Confused

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER
Riding those trails in sneakers - Ouch!
Actually they were more like short boots . Moe was using my wife's bike and doesn't have all the gear. I had MX boots. I was surprised that he took me up on the offer of the spare gear that I had. The guy's a better rider than I am and we took it pretty easy in the slippery sections.

Outside screwed with this post 08-22-2010 at 11:44 AM
Outside is offline   Reply With Quote