User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Daleah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Another Father / Son trip

I had been toying on a trip with my son for a few months. He is leaving for college this fall and I thought it would be a good chance to spend a day with him doing something I enjoy. So I asked him if he wanted to and he said “hell yes!”.
I have to tell you, I’m pretty proud of him. He has worked hard and earned a full scholarship, so I thought that this would be a nice thing to do for him. My intention was to cross into Illinois, ride up to Galena, and decide where to go from there. I thought we might make it to Cassville, but we had no real firm plans.
So the day we decided upon was July 3rd. Here we are in the driveway, geared up, warming up the KZ1000.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Daleah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shortly after that we headed out and I made the mistake of taking the long way through town and across the river. I thought it would be a pretty ride, but it was slow going and it added to the butt time on what turned out to be a pretty uncomfortable seat. We just got up to speed and were heading up the road and what do I see? A crop duster. I’m thinking, “That’s kind of neat, we might get a close up look, everyone likes to watch a plane fly low, right?” Guess what happened next? That’s right, we passed through his flight path and a cloud of the goo he was spraying on the fields. I was instantly covered with fine drops that I didn’t even see.
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']The first thing I thought of was “Agent Orange”. Of course that’s not what it was. I could see well enough to ride, so we kept going on up the road until we came to the next town. I pulled in and we cleaned up our gear and got a cold drink. Here is our view of the Mississippi river[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/font]

Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Daleah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We continued on up the river (no more shots for a while). But we had great roads all the way. My battery was running low so every time I stopped I had to kick start it. We stopped for gas in Savannah and while I was kick starting it, this old guy in overalls ambled over and asked if I was having problems. I said no, just a weak battery, then he told me about the bike he used to have.
We continued on and we just got past Hanover and I saw the sign to Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort. I asked him if he wanted to keep on the road we were on, or take the road past the ski resort. He said ďI donít careĒ, a theme that was to be repeated throughout the day.
So we peeled off and headed up Blackjack Road. No pictures, but I highly recommend it. Up, down, left, right. Lightly traveled on this day. The smell of the fresh cut hay took me way back to my childhood. We continued on past a place that would have been a field day for ďAmerican PickersĒ. Sorry, again, no pictures.
Next we stopped in Galena. Just as we were pulling in, we got to the stop light and were waiting to turn and what do I see? Right and right across the intersection from me were 2 1200 GSs. I turned right and they followed me. Cool, I wanted to meet them and look at their bikes. Looked like a guy and gal. I passed a parking spot because it looked too small for all of us, but then they took it. I circled back and couldnít find anything closer. By the time I parked and walked back, they had left, but I looked their bikes over. His and hers GSs. Lots of goodies. Illinois plates. We went to get some brunch (Iím not really a brunch guy, but it was too early for lunch and we already ate breakfast, but we were hungry so we had brunch). I had a great grilled cheese sandwich with egg and bacon. My son had a gyro omlette. Here is a picture from one of the shops in Galena (reminded us of A Christmas Story). Still not a lot of pictures, sorry, more later.

After breakfast, I headed up to see of the GS couple were back, when we got there, they were all geared up, swinging a leg over, so I still didnít get to talk to them. They waited for a clearing in traffic and headed out.

We went back to our bike, got on and headed up the road. Our next destination was Hazel Green for some cheese curds and a Rustic Road.

One thing I didnít realize when I decided to write this report was that it would be hard to capture all of the thoughts I had while riding. I had to focus on the road, of course, but I found myself thinking of my son and glad of this time together. I thought of my family and the changes we will be experiencing when my son moves out. I thought of a friend of mine that had passed on recently. It was amazing think time.

Got the curds and then went to find the Rustic Road. Here we are, but the number is missing. Iíll look it up sometime, canít remember off the top of my head.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Daleah OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a cool road, but there is a tricky corner in the middle. During this stretch, I noticed that my clutch started to feel a little loose. I had to pull it in about Ĺ way before it would engage. It was still working so I decided to keep an eye on it. We were getting tired and it was getting warm so we decided to head for Dubuque and see what we felt like then. I picked out a small road ďSinsinawa RoadĒ. We saw these cows so close to the road, I had to stop. They didnít have tails!. Morgan decided to get a closer look but the cows didnít cooperate. So he gave the ADV salute (hard to see with his gloves on).

We were getting hot and tired so we headed for Dubuque. My son started getting trigger happy with the camera and took some shots in motion.

Windmills

Road shot

Rock cut

Crossing the Mississippi again back into Dubuque

Once we got into Dubuque, we stopped for gas and another drink (trying to keep hydrated). I had noticed earlier that my clutch lever was starting to get loose. At first I thought it just needed a little adjustment but could wait until I got home. But the further we went the worse it got. Instead of going down Hwy 61, I went down 52. Partly because it was more scenic, but also because I didnít want to have to go 70 mph all the way home. I guess I need to change my screen name to hokey pokey or something, because I just enjoy tooling along at an easy pace so I can look around.
We cruised through Bellvue and we were getting tired so I asked my son if he wanted to stop and stretch or push on through. He didnít care so we pushed on. We ended up going all the way to Clinton where I stopped for gas and drinks. I was really getting concerned about the clutch because it was getting worse. I thought I broke a return spring, so I decided try to get home before it got too bad to ride.
So we mounted up and hit the road and pushed on until we got home. All told, we covered 225 miles and were gone about 7 hours. The interesting thing was that I got about 43 mpg on this trip when I usually get about 35 mph riding around town.
The bad news is that somewhere along the way I lost my right side cover. I am really kicking myself because someone told me I could lose it and I should pin it on. I intended to do it, but it always fit tight, so I didnít bother. So now itís going to cost money to replace that I didnít have to spend. Also, nothing I find is going to match because the PO had the bike painted. GRRRR.
The good news is that the clutch was just out of adjustment. The lock nut had backed out. I was able to fix it in 5 minutes. I wish I had looked at it on the road because I had the tools to fix it with me. But at the time, I thought something was broken.
All in all it was a great day. I got to spend the day with my son. It was a beautiful day and one that weíll remember for the rest of our lives.