Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #3721
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
Hi guys.

I picked up some knurled thumb screws for the front windscreen on the Super10 today so that I can experiment with the heights easily without the need for tools.

If anyone in the US has trouble finding these knobs, I know Madstad and Cee Bailey's have them. You'll just need to confirm sizing with them.

Madstad charge $5 each, wouldn't surprise me if there was a cheaper source.

Trevor
Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #3722
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 549
So I just went to the local dealer... They had an allocation of 10 S10 FE's, 5 blue and 5 grey. They have 1 blue left (that's after a week of selling)

Nothing available, no brochures, flyers, nothing. Aftermarketparts like heated grips are available though.

Then I sat on it.

Now, I can't say "BEST BIKE EVAR" because I never rode it. But just from sitting on it, it feels like a winner.

1. My 6ft6in corpus fits, with my left foot underneath the shifter (On my DL-650 I have to place my feet on top of the peg to have enough legroom, even with a lowering peg kit).

2. The handlebars felt great, no odd twist like my stock V-Strom bars.

3. The front looks a bit wider then my DL650, but the nose and instrument cluster is very small giving the impression of a small nimble bike.

4. I LOVED the seat. It's made of something resembling heavy duty dense foam, it's flat (no wierd curve near the gas tank to crush your nads) and it felt very rough, not slippery. It can be adjusted in height, and as I said I fitted the bike well. Turned out the seat was at the lowest setting. I think I'm in love!

5. Exhaust has to go. Like a wierd ugly metal baby-bike being excreted from the engine, drooping down. Ugh.

6. Tires were Bridgestone Battlewings.

There were lots of people standing around looking at the bike (or looking at me, on my knees checking out the belly pan )

I already decided. I will get one, but not now. While the First Edition is a VERY well-priced package and a good deal, I refuse to buy a first model of anything. I hope that if there are any kinks or faults shown, they will be rectified and in a year or 2/3/4/5 I'll be able to get a S10. I'm sure it will be a great machine.

Oh, no I didn't take any pictures. But that's alright. I still have the vivid memory of sitting on the bike in my head. Just like you guys.

Right?

Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #3723
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
So easy to centerstand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp

Greg.

Wasp,

either you are not anemic, or the ST 1200 is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY easy to put on its centerstand.
You always hoist her up :), it might be very easy unless you are some sort of titan.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #3724
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Wasp,

either you are not anemic, or the ST 1200 is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY easy to put on its centerstand.
You always hoist her up :), it might be very easy unless you are some sort of titan.
Well it's not as easy as with an R11GS who almost jumps on teh centrestand by itself, the only bike i can hoist barefooted, but the GTXT comes very near, so much easier than the R12GS or GSA (which needs Herculanean power)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #3725
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Greg,
How much is he charging for these screens and does he have a web site ? I have the big (?) Yamaha screen and am not that impressed with it.

BTW, what shape is your back wheel these days ?

Ray
Old Git Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3726
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Washed my S10 for the first time today. While I had it out, I also reglued my heated grips (stupid half-azzed installation by my dealer) and put the windshield up to the upper setting. Haven't ridden it yet with the shield raised but I will tomorrow and will report back on whether there is any less wind noise. Here's what the shield looks like in the upper most position:

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #3727
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow
Not mine, just sharing

Good luck lane-splitting with these bags
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #3728
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm
Have ridden a GSA and it did nothing for me (Refused the Latte so not brain washed)
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 AM   #3729
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Have any owners de-catted the exhaust systems? Think the cat is at the belly area, not in the endcan
Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 AM   #3730
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow
Have any owners de-catted the exhaust systems? Think the cat is at the belly area, not in the endcan
Why?

The Tracktion control is quite busy if your really gas it, so it has plenty of power aboard, woould it make any sense to pollute the enviroment to get bikes banned???

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #3731
yfis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
nice wheely at 1:30 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4EWEdX52Hk

Australian test :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuI7XIavbJE
yfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #3732
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,160
So i went for a spin on Sunday and ended up in Sydney , rode home yesterday in the rain most of the way, a total of 1500km's of tar. I still think this is a bloody good bike, the seat gets a bit hard after a while so i may have to look into a sheep skin or something. The bike handled road duties well and even handles the twisties well. The screen is a bit irritating, i've tried most settings and i think i'll go back to the highest spot and order a tall screen as this one tends to let the wind hit the helmet and wobble it around. Actually i think there was a guy in the US tooling up to make touringb screens so i might contact him as well.
The grumbling from the engine at 3 - 3.5k rpm is still there, i notice its worse in sports mode so i'm sure its fueling. The engine is noticeably loosening up, but you can tell its restricted somewhere, it feels like it wants to go harder.
While i was away i fitted up some Oxford heated grips (which have now stopped working, i think the switch is full of water) and with some skilled use of a lathe by Pezz we fitted up the Touratech cruise control off my 1150 GS as well as a TT GPS holder (which needs to shifted half an inch to the left)

Also a bit of grime to get rid of the horrible "new bike" lustre

And the most important bling of all
Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #3733
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
oooh.. you fitted the sportsbike heated grips

I mounted my grip controller on the console on the opposite side to the aux power socket.. out of the way and I can only see it if I stick my head "around the corner"

I wired mine up through a relay and put all the wiring in where the stock toolkit sits which I have relocated to under the seat.. I didn't like the idea of having to pull a panle off everytime I wanted a tool
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #3734
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnabrother
I wired mine up through a relay and put all the wiring in where the stock toolkit sits which I have relocated to under the seat.. I didn't like the idea of having to pull a panle off everytime I wanted a tool
Yep forgot to mention that i've wired in a 5 pin relay as well, both the GPS and grips go through it. I used the power wire from the accessory plug to run the relay. Good idea mounting it on the fairing as i think having mine where it is exposes it to the rain. It says its sealed but i doubt that claim......sports bike grips? Don't tell me they make a longer set? I was dissappointed to see that these were short and left gaps where the standard long grips once were.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3735
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Yep forgot to mention that i've wired in a 5 pin relay as well, both the GPS and grips go through it. I used the power wire from the accessory plug to run the relay. Good idea mounting it on the fairing as i think having mine where it is exposes it to the rain. It says its sealed but i doubt that claim......sports bike grips? Don't tell me they make a longer set? I was dissappointed to see that these were short and left gaps where the standard long grips once were.
nope.. the standard ones are the same length.. just the surface pattern of the grip is different.. I was also very dissapointed at the length of the throttle side grip.. I actually butted mine reasonably close to the throttle tube housing and trimmed the exposed throttle tube plastic sticking out the other side..

not perfect, but I can live with it..

as for the waterproofness.. these are pretty good.. I've fitted these to lots of customer bikes (when I worked at Honda) and never once got a water damaged controller back... and some of those customers were daily commuters in crappy Melbourne weather..

the main reason I fitted mine on the bulkhead was just to get it out the way.. I routed the wiring up behind the dash and into the right side fairing.. I'll get some pics of the mounting tonight