User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
ramblin66 OP
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer: 4,412
A Few Days in Colorado

Headed up to Colorado [Fraser/Tabernash area] for 10 days of R&R with the family and my new-to-me XT225. Never having ridden off road before, the XT is a great little starter bike. It'll run slow and steep or fast (65 all day no problem) and flat...

I'd been messing with jetting, trying to figure out what the magic numbers were going to be for 9,000 to 12,000 foot elevations... After lots of chin scratching, I left the stock jets in and brought along some smaller jets in case I needed them..

I managed 4 days worth of day trips during this trip and I'm pretty much hooked on DS riding... Colorado is just plain amazing...

Day 1
My first ride on the XT at altitude was more of a shakedown trip. How would the jetting hold up? Would I have any power to climb hills?

I rode US-40 to Granby for a visit with the nice ladies at the Forest Service office. I picked up an OHV tag for my daughters XR and some local trail maps. No problems on the (relatively) flat road to Granby, so, I turned around and went the other way, all the way up to Berthoud Pass.

The XT had just a few spits and grunts running up the asphalt at 50-60 MPH, but not enough grief for me to change the jetting. I was betting it would be fine off road at slower speeds, and I was right.

Day 2

A few days later I had the chance to head up Rollins Pass (Corona Pass Rd). The weather had been pretty rainy the two days before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out that the route was in great shape. The rain kept the dust down, and the places where the water puddled made it easier to see the holes in the road .

It was an absolutely perfect ride... Blue skies, cool temps and very little traffic mid-week.

Day 3
My third day riding I had planned to head out CR-50 and do some side-road exploring on my way from Fraser to Hot Sulfur Springs. Unfortunately, the weather didn't want to cooperate, and I didn't think it was a good idea to be riding near the tree line in what looked like some ugly weather... So.. I wound up just running some local dirt roads and parts of Fraser Experimental Forest. Not too many memorable pictures from day 3, except this one..

Day 4

On my last day of riding, I finally convinced my daughter to come out for a ride. She was too busy playing with friends to be bothered with riding, but, I convinced her it would be a good time... She's a new rider, with only a few hours on an XR70 we bought for her a month before this trip. We spent a few days riding here in TX before this trip and she did quite well in the local mud and sand (and heat )...

We had a great day riding some nearby dirt. A housing development was being built near where we were staying, so we spent the morning riding around in the construction mess. Then spent the afternoon back in the Experimental Forest getting chased by improperly restrained dogs . That was a big buzz-kill.

So.... Beautiful 65-70-degree weather, a few days of riding, a few days of sightseeing [Trail Ridge Rd (RMNP), Boating on Grand Lake, Alpine slide at Winter Park, soaking at Hot Sulfur Springs] and a few days doing sweet nothing, rocking on the front porch.... made for an awesome vacation.

THANKS COLORADO.!
"I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain" ...... "I hope".... RED.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

ramblin66 screwed with this post 08-11-2010 at 01:45 PM
ramblin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Desert Drifter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sounds like a great trip!!! Beautiful country!!! Thaks for sharing!!!
Desert Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
ramblin66 OP
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter
Sounds like a great trip!!! Beautiful country!!! Thaks for sharing!!!
I'm trying to convince the Wife that we should head up your way next year..
The panhandle is amazing, as is Western WA... Lots of nearby Nat Forest land. Not too far from Yellowstone. I'd bet Boise is a great place to live...
"I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain" ...... "I hope".... RED.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
dirtphoenix
from the ashes...

Oddometer: 1,264
Looks like you had a great time! Your daughter is very lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks
Don't worry. He'll still be a putz when you wake up.
dirtphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Nice report of Dad and kiddo shared riding. Good times!

Your daughter will probably remember those days clearly for the rest of her life, although she probably doesn't realize it now. I know I do with my recollections of trail riding with my Dad as a child.
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
ramblin66 OP
HappyHappyJoyJoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
Your daughter will probably remember those days clearly for the rest of her life, although she probably doesn't realize it now. I know I do with my recollections of trail riding with my Dad as a child.
I hope so....
And I hope that this is something we can share for a lifetime, until I'm too old to lift my leg over the seat...

Good times for sure..