Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
rode enduros when I was a kid...no club but on Long Island....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
rode enduros when I was a kid...no club but on Long Island....
Ah, back when there were still farms on the Island.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #18
voneschenbach
Tame Moto Rider

Oddometer: 16
What a fantastic trip! Yes, I-90 is boring and pretty crappy surface for a surprising amount of it's length from Seattle to Boston but there are some nice bits. Better to find a good highway though.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

July 22nd 2010-The Milwaukee Storm

Not many pics today because it was pouring OUT~Woke up to light rain and began to pack up when the skies opened to a torrential down pour. We only had to ride 184 km to get to the Lake Express Ferry but it felt like it took a really long time to get there. Our gear kinda let us down today to be honest. Our Revit jackets with waterproof liner did not completely keep our upper body dry and that too me is not acceptable considering the price we paid for them. That is a whole other story. Anyway, we arrived at the ferry about 2 hours before it took off. Cheryl's GPS skills took us through Milwaukee which was interesting. Kinda smelly. The rain drops were so freaking big and heavy when we arrived. The Fast Ferry to Muskegon, Michigan was nice but HOLY did I read the prices incorrectly on the web. When we checked in to our surprise it was $38 US for each bike and $85 US for each adult. Plus a security fee, good ole Homeland Security of $22 as well as a fuel surcharge of $20. Total to cross Lake Michigan $288 USD for 2.5 HR ride. The good news is that when we finally tied down our bikes on the deck we got upstairs too late to get a seat. Why is that good news? Because Chris one of the ferry staff let us in the Premier Lounge. Like first class and served us coffee and food while we sat in private from the regular folks. So, maybe that $288 wasn't so bad after all. Saved us about 530 km of riding and trying to navigate past Chicago etc. After the ferry we landed and the rain had past we decided to ride. Headed to Flint, Michigan to a Holiday Inn Express to treat ourselves. Not the very best part of the state but the hotel staff were nice, gave us a discount, free dinner and breakfast as well as we parked our bikes right near the entrance. Cheryl has done wonders with the GPS, we have been taking care of one another, eating snacks, drinking water and just watching out for one another. Our intercom system is priceless and allows us to stay in communication with one another at all times. Today was a little tough with the HUGE rain drops but overall still a good day. Next back to Canada through London, Ontario and then down back to the States

soph9 screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 06:37 AM
Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

July 23rd 2010

Got a great start after staying at the Holiday Inn in Flint. Free hot breakfast and no rain. We watched the early morning news to find out that the storm we road in through Milwaukee was apparently a record breaking rain storm for that area. The city got 7 inches of rain in 3-4 hours. The roads flooded so much that a SUV was sucked into a sink hole still running. So, I guess to be fair to our gear not proving to keep us dry is understandable considering how hard it was raining. Believe it or not our summer riding boot, a TCX boot with a Gortex liner actually kept our feet dry and warm. Amazing!

Once we were all loaded we headed off to Canada, Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. Our NEXUS passes were worth every $50 that day as it saved us at least 1.5 hrs waiting to cross in about 35 degrees Celsius. Was in Canada for only few hours because our destination was Niagara Falls. We got to the falls and talked our way into getting free parking. We really only wanted to take some pics and leave. Hazy Hot and Humid and the Falls were loaded with tacky tourists. Oh yeah....I guess we were one of them. Got some Kodak moments and off we went yet again.

Our NEXUS passes were very useful as we entered the USA at Buffalo. Cruised right on through past all the line up. Managed to somehow stay out of the rain the whole day long. We were expecting to camp in Warsaw, New York but the campground did not have a cabin and it really looked like it was going to pour. We headed to another hotel for the night but we are missing the KOA’s/”camping” environment.

By this time I am looking forward to getting to my parents. The bikes need an oil change now and we really need to replace the rear brake pads. I ordered Galfer rear pads and had then shipped to my folks and we were going to change them there. As for the oil change you will see what we did.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

July 24th 2010 - Finally Long Island Day

We had to put our kick stands on wood at the hotel because even at night the temperatures never really cool down and the management said many bikes were falling over after melting into their parking lot.

This day started pretty well. Nice HOT breakfast again and no rain. It was all ready 27 degrees Celsius at 0830. Headed from upstate NY towards our goal my parent’s house in Stony Brook NY as the final leg of the first part of our tour. Cheryl found us some really cool off beat roads and towns between NY and Pennsylvania. The temperature was tolerable because we were riding mountainous roads with shade. Had to stop quite often even still to rehydrate. This humidity will suck the water right out of you if you are not careful. Little did we know what we were in store for when we reached the George Washington Bridge.

Nice to see upstate NY using wind turbines throughout the State. I went to University in a small town in Upstate NY, called Hobart & William Smith College on Seneca Lake in Geneva. The finger lakes in NY are like the very mini Great Lakes of the mid west. Absolutely beautiful around that area and it was great to be back even if it was brief.

Riding down to NYC was enjoyable and scenic...

However, The temperature by the time we got to the bridge area was at times as high as 40.5 Celsius and 100% humidity. Sunny skies and no shade. We saw there was a delay at the bridge and pulled off to an Exxon gas station to try and wait the traffic out.

We tried to cool off in what shade we could find. AS we got closer to NYC to heat just got hotter. My parents were trying to call us to say don't come to Long Island because this day, July 24th 2010 was supposed to be the worst day of the week with humidity and high temperatures. But we carried on!
We have been riding almost 7 hours by now!

This was the temperature in the Exxon gas Station outside the bridge in the "shade".

Rumour has it there was a Yankee game and that is why the traffic was so heavy!

After about 45 minutes we thought the traffic was flowing better only to find out it would take us another 45 minutes in the beating down HOT sun in stop and go traffic to get to the toll booth. BTW, NY charges motorcycles the same rate as cars. Cheryl and I were forced to drive like a New Yorker to keep all these cars from cutting in front of us to get to the toll. $16 dollars later we were through. We are both dying at this point from the heat and exhaustion. Playing mind games we stayed focused. On the way to the Throggs Neck bridge to Long Island, I saw that there was another toll.

I initially thought I only had $9 left in US cash. Started to freak out a bit on the side of a very busy highway, Cheryl is tired, my head set mic was not working all day and is still broken and I could not voice my frustration to Cheryl via the intercom. I found more cash and we headed to the next bridge again to see there was stop and go traffic. Made it through and the toll guy discounted our rate because he was a nice guy. $5 for both of us vs. $11. Almost seeing double by now from the heat etc....we headed to Long Island and eventually after a 10 ½ hr day stopping and going, taking water and pee breaks....we made to my parents driveway about 1930 finally.

What we will remember about this day the three H’s. Hazy hot & humid, mental endurance is just as important as physical and relying on your riding partner is a must. Absolutely the most trying day in all aspects but glad we did it, glad we made it and nice to be with family. Taking a break until Wednesday, July 28th.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 07:51 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #22
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

July 25th, 26th & 27th 2010 Family Time and Bike Maintenance

Sunday and Monday were days to be with family and do maintenance on the bikes.

Cheryl and I watched a video that a great guy from the F800 forum I belong to made for us on changing brake pads. As always, Cheryl is a quick study and before you know it both bikes had new Galfer rear pads installed. Had brake pads shipped to my parent’s house from a neat company Happy Trails ahead of us. The Galfer pads were a lot cheaper to buy online than to find in Canada and bring them along the way. Gave the bikes a wash and let them relax.

Cheryl's pads at 17200 KM

My pads at 16700 KM

soph9 screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 07:58 AM
Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Family all came over for a great New York Pizza dinner and good conversation. My sisters and their kids, My Aunt Catherine and Uncle Ritchie also came by. Nice to see everyone and they all insisted we ship our bikes back and fly home so we could stay longer on Long Island. We politely decline the invite as we both are looking back to getting on the road.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 09:45 AM
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thumb BMW Friendly SHOP!

Monday we were found a motorcycle shop/parts store and service center located in Smithtown, NY. About 10 mins from my parent’s house. We initially drove to the shop to buy oil filters and oil etc....but when the owner Dave said he would change our oil for $25 labour we said what the hell....drove back to the house and got on our bikes and headed back to ISLAND MOTORCYCLE PARTS located at 401 Middle Country Rd., Smithtown, NY 11787 ph: 631-880-7966.

This oil change we decided to go with a semi-synthetic blend. We were going to do this anyway at 20000 KM.

I am highlighting this shop because of their friendly attitude, ability to fit us in while we waited for the oil change, they allowed us in the back of the shop to learn and watch, very helpful tech named John who pointed out my chain was too tight and adjusted it. Although all this maintenance stuff may seem easy to do it was great to watch a pro do it right so we can start maintaining our bikes like this to save money and time. We went to semi synthetic oil and a K&N oil filter model 164. Again the shop is BMW friendly and more than accommodating for travelers. We were a walk in and no issues getting us set up and serviced.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 09:46 AM
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Eek

While in NY we just had to go to the local Costco and buy beer. In BC this is not possible because of the liquor laws and although I lived in NY my whole life except the past 12 years, I find this fascinating to see aisles of beer for so cheap!

soph9 screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 09:47 AM
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #26
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thumb

As we wind down this short home town visit, we are sad to leave but looking forward to heading Cape Cod, Massachusetts. We need to send a big thanks to my parents for being great hosts!

This is where I grew up and our favorite breakfast spot to go to when in NY, Maureen's in Smithtown. The restaurant has a cow fetus and this is also my parents home away from home and the reason they do not understand why we subject ourselves to the elements on a motorcycle.

My partner refers to where I grew up in Stony Brook, Long Island as a "Snow Globe Village" and I tend to agree with her. Located about an hour and a half from NY on the north shore of Long Island. Here is a pic of the local post office and on every hour the Bald Eagle flaps it's wings!

THIS IS WHERE WE MAILED 16 POUNDS OF CLOTHING AND OTHER STUFF BACK HOME. WE OVER PACKED AND HAVE LEARNED A LESSON FOR NEXT TRIP!

My family is shy and did not want a lot of pics posted of them for fear of becoming too famous!

soph9 screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 09:14 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #27
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

July 28th 2010 - Departing NY and heading home

Woke up to my mother’s famous egg sandwich after a miserable night’s sleep because my parents like to keep their house with a/c on at 80 degrees. Just kidding mom & dad.

Got packed up and ready to go at about 0800 and headed east on Long Island in the very humid, crappy weather “quote Cheryl”, to Orient Point. We caught the Cross Island Ferry to New London, CT.

The loading area for the ferry.

Not our ferry but the fast passenger one to CT.

About an hour and 20 minutes. We seem to be drawing a lot of attention from folks who think we are crazy once they find out where we are from and what we are doing. However, it worked to our advantage when an elderly ferry crew member thought our bikes were cool and let us off first.

Crossing the Long Island was smooth and peaceful and so many people having a need to chat with us about what we were doing, our bikes and again how crazy we were...

Once off the ferry we headed north to our destination of Middleboro, MA on Cape Cod. Rode through small towns in Connecticut, Rhode Island and then arrived on the Cape. Weather, which we are so over the humidity and heat was HUMID, HOT, a high of 93 Fahrenheit or 31.5 Celsius and Hazy of course. Made the short ride of 286 km minus the ferry seem long.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

How to add videos?

Can someone tell me how to add a video if not uploaded to You Tube? I tried the attachment thingy but it takes you to my photobucket account.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Still July 28th 2010

Once we set up our tent we headed off on my bike, to Plymouth, MA to see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower II. The Thermarest Pads we bought are so handy and worth every dime. They make even the most unforgiving surface tolerable....

we got this whole tenting thing down to a science and it is a piece of cake to set up now.

Cheryl in her LDComfort Underwear! LOVE THIS STUFF.....works great and never really begins to smell!

Yep it is a rock all right and really small.

Before we saw the rock a really nice couple let us park behind their car so we would not have to pay for parking. They were bikers in their day. Had a bite to eat at this little take out joint called Pebbles, took pics and headed back to camp.

Got back to camp, I SKYPED with my parents for a little while as Cheryl wondered about and moved our bikes under some trees. Also, Cheryl made sure all of our gear would be safe and dry. Good chance of a thunderstorm passing through tonight. Oh yeah we got to test out our new Cardo G4 intercom set. Different than our Scala Q2 but work really well with the MP3 and once we got used to how to chat, need to wait when activated they were pretty clear. Love the stereo speakers.
Tomorrow we were off to Maine to see how far north we can get. Going to stop in for coffee with some old friends from my neighbourhood when growing up.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 09:46 AM
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9
Can someone tell me how to add a video if not uploaded to You Tube? I tried the attachment thingy but it takes you to my photobucket account.
Smug Mug.com
Owned by Baldy(site owner)helps support this great place.
It's not free but is a great site with no adds.
If you do join use this coupon code and save $5 bucks(and help me)
YmjIacSrUvT0E