with Blue Mountains Ulysses
Everyone is welcome to join us for the ride

Meet: Blaxland McDonalds, GWH, BLAXLAND, NSW for a 9.00am Start
Ride Leader: Eric B
Ride Report/Videos: Eric B

11th August 2010

Destination:
Wattamolla NSW

The weather forecast for to-day was 8-18C, rain clearing with strong westerly winds, it had rained fairly heavy on Tuesday and I thought the weather bureau would be wrong with the forecast as when I awoke looked out the window to wet roads and cloudy skies, but then looking to the west you could see blue sky as it was clearing. I made lunch filled the thermos headed off at 8:00am along the M4 freeway up to Blaxland, I was the first to arrive, Noel Harris had rang me the night before he was still crook with the flue he would not be going on the ride today. It was not long before we had a number of riders arrive, we ended up with nine riders for today's ride there was a little bit of discussion on where we would go, I suggested Wattamolla John McC suggested Oberon, to John's suggestion, the verdict was that it would be too cold, it was decided that we would go to Wattamolla, because I had suggested that, I was voted to be ride leader, "I thought to myself "I hope I do not lose them again.

We headed off at 9:00am I headed down Lapstone Hill followed by Peter M, Les W, Allen G, Russell D, Malcolm K, Richard M, David C, tail end charlie would be John McC, it was a little bit chilly as we headed down Lapstone Hill making our way onto Mulgoa Road where we headed out through Wallacia around through Bents Basin then through Rossmore onto the M5 and on to Heathcote Road winding our way around to the little park at Heathcote for morning tea, I had no problems with loosing anyone as I made a couple of stops so everybody could catch up, thinking it would make it a lot easier if I took one of my spark plug leads off running on one cylinder so the others could keep up. We had morning tea in the sun at Heathcote as it was starting to clear we could see blue sky everywhere, Russell D said goodbye to us at Heathcote as he had other commitments, we headed off to Waterfall and then down through the National Park, I had said to everybody that there could be some slippery spots so please take extreme care, really a great ride through the National Park as we rode along the ridge the wind had picked up I reckon there were gusts across here up to 30 to 35 knots, arriving at Wattamolla at about 12:00 noon we sat at one of the tables having our lunch sitting in the sun it was really protected and it was so warm.

After lunch a few of us decided that we would walk down to the beach it was really a great idea but then the biggest problem was we had to walk back, arriving at the beach the lagoon it had flooded broken its banks was running into the ocean and there was quite a flow of water running out as a few of us sat and watched.

Arriving back at our bikes we had a discussion on the way that we would head home it was decided that we would go down through the national park turn up at Balls Head on to the Princes Highway then on to Appin Road where we would turn left into Cataract Dam for afternoon tea.

We arrived at Cataract Dam at about 2:00pm having afternoon tea in one of the shelters as we sat there, there were some good gusts of wind coming through, I reckon we would have experienced some gusts on the ride of up to nearly 50 knots. The way home from their was discussed again we would head into Appin where a couple of us would refuel then we would go down through Broughton Pass through Menangle then onto Remembrance Drive onto the old Hume highway then onto the Camden bypass and get onto the Northern Road at Narellan, thinking to myself while riding on the Camden Bypass, this is really good "I have not lost anybody to day", but just as I get to the left hand turn off to Narellan I went straight ahead I did not just lose one person, I lost everybody so I had to continue on too Hartley Road where I made a U turn. I did not think they would be that far in front of me by the time I had got to the Wallacia turn off I still had not caught them so there were two riders that turned left there the other three continued on turning right at Elizabeth Drive then onto Luddenham road, I ended up catching them halfway along Luddenham Road, waving goodbye as I crossed the M4 I made my way home arriving at approximately 4:00pm after having done 280 kilometers for the day's ride.

Everyone seemed have a great day the weather conditions were near perfect apart from the wind, I have also decided that if I am going to lead the ride then I should lead it at the rear end, I have put the spark plug lead back on, my bike is running a lot better now.

Enclosed a couple of photos you might enjoy an I have not tricked them up in the meantime stay well and ride safe.

Regards Eric B

Map Link
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cnr+Layton+Ave+%26+Great+Western+Hwy,+Blaxla nd+(McDonald%27s)&daddr=Mulgoa+Rd+to:Wallacia,+New+South+Wales+to:Gr eendale+Rd+to:M5,+Moorebank+New+South+Wales+2170+t o:Heathcote+Road,+Wattle+Grove,+New+South+Wales+to :Heathcote,+New+South+Wales+to:Waterfall,+New+Sout h+Wales+to:Lady+Wakehurst+Dr+to:Princes+Hwy+to:Unk nown+road+to:Appin+Rd+to:Moreton+Park+Rd+to:Menang le+Rd+to:Camden+Bypass,+Narellan,+New+South+Wales+ to:The+Northern+Road,+Narellan,+New+South+Wales+to :Western+Mwy+to:-33.918862,150.710449+to:Sir+Bertram+Stevens+Dr+to: Wattamolla+Rd&geocode=FcwT_f0dJS76CCFKm-tmCpuYdA%3BFXAb_P0dL8v6CA%3BFSVC-_0dIpf6CCmDygjwO4sSazFAWZ63ABmC7g%3BFat5-v0d5AH7CA%3BFfwf-v0dafL-CCmpQRMPCpUSazH8Sh5KWMLVlA%3BFXAK-v0dTkL_CCnPRA-DEcASazE2OdCEQKJ4hg%3BFXj-9_0dazUACSlb85_308MSazGtiBLbehh7LQ%3BFWAj9_0dDQAAC Sml5eEI-sISazFnsXmoDtpF5w%3BFW4b9v0dODcACQ%3BFZUd9f0dU0L_C A%3BFX0q9f0dvx79CA%3BFdoY9v0dQtH8CA%3BFQS59v0dFiX8 CA%3BFSJD9_0dOhb8CA%3BFRx2-P0doCb8CCkbYOgHVPASazGfmnwNlBgzOw%3BFdyi-P0dgAL8CCkH9xuV3IwSazEHVWHp8rViKg%3BFeao_P0dyA37CA %3B%3BFUai9v0dIqcACQ%3BFRoZ9_0d6NABCQ&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=12&mrsp=17&sz=11&via=3,8,9,12,17,18&sll=-33.871556,150.875244&sspn=0.294179,0.617294&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.002581,150.963135&spn=0.587452,1.234589&z=10