Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Day 2: 7/8/10 Sierra City, CA to Chester, CA 142 miles

So, we trashed our old intercoms (by Motocom) last year. They just couldn’t hold up to the wear and tear of day in, day out offroad use. Perhaps the forced disconnecting (i.e., the crashes/get offs) and yanking of the cords might have had something to do with it, but no one will ever know for sure. We decided to go wireless with the Interphone 4. The downside to these is having to charge the units every day (the Motocom used AA batteries). The 110 charger can do two units at once, but the 12volt charger can only do one at a time. Annoying.

We stayed up as long as we could, trying to get both helmets charged, but only one got a full charge. What do we do? Screw it, let’s leave the other one charging overnight.

The next morning, the bike was completely dead.

Crap (did someone mention that we’re not that bright?). The guy across from us was really nice. He had come over to talk about the bike and we turned him on to ADV rider. I’m sure he would have been more than willing to give us a jump, but that would have been too embarrassing after we had just been raving about how great the 990 is. Instead, we played it off like we’re super-considerate camping neighbors. We didn’t want to disturb our fellow campers that morning and that's why we walked the bike over to the campground entrance. I don’t know if it fooled anyone, but that’s our story and we’re sticking to it.

Matt remembered that we had gone up a pretty good hill when we came into the campground. Coasting down it, he was able to get up enough speed to bump start the bike. Whew. Close one. Okay, gotta remember not to do that again...

Right away we got onto Sierra Buttes Road. Wow. What a stunner. Rocky with gorgeous views.

We were following R-dubb’s tracks, but Matt had found this trail on his own in 2008 (he rode it South but we were taking it North today).

It was such a pretty ride.

It would have been incredible (but cold) to camp up here.

Yesterday’s destination was supposed to be Gold Lake, so we were already behind schedule. No time to dilly dally, even though the roads were fantastic.

Fun, interesting, dirt and rocks...

Then we started to hit snow.

It wasn’t bad at first - we felt pretty good about being able to work around the drifts.

The non-snowy roads were great.

But they didn’t last long.

Then the snow patches got larger. There was no way to tell where the road was supposed to be and we were just winging it.

here's matt (in the middle of the frame) making his own road

Matt had to take longer and longer detours and I had to hike to catch up.

Waiting for me to get down the hill

It was brutal - hiking in the snow, ATGATT. Most of the time I even kept my helmet on (these mosquitoes were even worse than yesterday’s).

kelly: Should we turn around?
matt: Nah, I don’t want to go back through all that snow again.
kelly: (thinking about the hiking) Me neither.

This incline was steep and muddy. Fun, fun, fun.
I started off on the bike, but about halfway up we got squirrely in the mud and almost lost it. Matt saved it (yay) and I hiked the rest of the way up (boo).
As always, this is steeper than it looks (he's almost at the top in this pic)!

Almost got stuck in this snow...it took a lot of pulling the bike while Matt gunned it.

We finally got to the summit - Norman the Delorman was telling us that there was a trail up at the top.
Really, Norm? Really? There was nothing.

Matt went to scout. We could see some lakes and some campers down below - maybe there was a horse trail or something. At this point, we would have taken a hiking trail.

He looked over the edge and said it went straight down. No go. He could barely get back up to where I was waiting.

We had no choice but to turn around and go back the way we came.

Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.
Up the rocks.

Down the snow.

I was really loving this ATGATT snow hiking. It should be an Olympic sport.

We went back to a fork in the road and chose the left side this time.
Y’know, it’s a lot easier going down the drifts...but if the road doesn’t go through at the bottom...we are SO screwed.
We’ll be stuck here ‘til the snow melts.

Yep. Screwed.
Had to get over a monster drift.

It didn’t quite work.

Guess it’s not a BigWan/LittleWan report unless there’s a bike stuck in something.

Do I even need to say it? No?
(OMG, we are so F'ing stupid!)

to be continued....
(how's that for a cliffhanger?)

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote