User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Singletrack_mind OP
Cave Man

Oddometer: 365
BMW's radiator hose fix doesn't work

I had the recall service performed last year where they replace the original radiator-to-pump hoses with longer ones to prevent them from backing off. Then, a couple days ago, that's exactly what happened. No crash or other provocation, just riding the bike to work & back. The upper hose worked it's way forward off the water pump spigot just through the course of normal riding.

My suspicion is that the water pump housing may have a slightly under-size spigot, and/or an insufficiently aggressive barb. The spring steel hose clamps work just fine in most applications, and there's no reason to blame the hose. There's no stress on that little length of hose except the pressure cycles generated by heating & cooling the system. The hose can't even move very far, both my hoses were jammed forward against the back of the radiator. So, I suspect the hose is being "inflated" by the hot pressurized coolant, and working it's way off the under-sized water pump spigot due to internal pressure.

I will measure the spigot when I have time to disassemble the system.

SO: Heads up. Even if you've had "The Fix", you should keep an eye on these hoses.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
do you think you could just throw on some of those metal hose clamps with the tiny worm gear / screw driver fitting and call it a day?
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant
do you think you could just throw on some of those metal hose clamps with the tiny worm gear / screw driver fitting and call it a day?
Possibly not if my experience is anything to go by ... I too have had the new hose fitted as a recall, but the problem is that they changed the material but its till too short. I have a jubilee clamp on the thermostat end, but you have to check that its tight and secure every now and then or it comes loose and the hose pops off again.

At my next service I think I will just ask for a longer hose.

So ... use Jubilee clamps, but make sure you keep an eye on them.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Part of the recall was scuffing the paint. The high gloss is very slippery, scuffing it helps the hose stay in place. If the paint is still shinny check the part number on the hose to see if it is correct.
(571) 318 2472
Indie BMW Maintenance
www.beemersuberalles.com
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Singletrack_mind OP
Cave Man

Oddometer: 365
[quote=GeorgeinVA]Part of the recall was scuffing the paint. The high gloss is very slippery, scuffing it helps the hose stay in place.

Interesting. That was not done on my bike, the factory paint is intact & un-scuffed on the hose spigot that shed it's hose.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
This is just an idea... but there may be some glues (silicone, etc) from manufacturers such as 3M that could help with this problem.

I like silicone sealants/adhesives for static uses such as houses, not sure how they will react on high vibration systems such as our bikes. Just an idea...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
yellow zebra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
did they not modify the clip

I did not need the 'hose' recall on my bike, but if memory serves me correctly, did they not change clip and the hose?

I think the hose was lengthened, and then they fitted a new clip in addition (sort of belt and braces approach!)