User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,145
The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sabastian (‘Gus’)

What’s this thread about:
I’ll use this thread to document my rehab of Gus. Padmei’s doing it, why can’t I? And hopefully we’ll get a community of GS / airhead owners here.

This is what Gus looked like when I bought him in Jul 10.

And the second picture shows what he looked Jul '13.

From 2013-07-21 Castlehill Rd, Puketoi Rd, Bideford

Why ‘Gus’?
Gus is a bastard in a number of senses. Old vehicles need names. Cursing a thing just doesn’t seem right. It’s always a bitch or bastard. And Gus is positively geriatric.

Why I bought Gus:
I’m a long time airhead fan, having owned a ‘78 R100RS, (there's a separate thread on that now), ‘83 R80ST, ‘86 R65, & an ‘88 R100RS. In the ‘90’s my wife & I travelled Europe on the ’78 RS. We spent about 3 yrs alternatively working in London, then travelling the summer months. The trip back home was supposed to be an extended tour through Africa. I actually purchased the ST for that trip, bought a Acerbis 43L plastic tank for it, but alas it was not to be. I wrecked the RS when a van did a u-turn on me, and then the couple we were to go with had a head-on with a minicab. The consolation prize was a trip to the South of France, & then home. Both the RS & the ST were imported back to NZ, but in a moment of madness I sold the ST to allow the purchase of a lounge suite. Which is now almost dead…

I’ve had a couple of goes at getting a GS since, but this hasn’t really worked out. The last white RS was supposed to be one, & the KTM 640a was close (in a sort of ‘Paris Dakar’ way). The KTM was a brilliant bike, but my experience was KTM parts support was lacking. Whilst I am sure the whole package would do big miles, portions of the bike seemed to be higher maintenance then I am used to (Hi ClintNZ & Warewolf!!).

One thing I missed with the KTM was the ability to load either Katherine or Mandy on the back & to go out for a day trip. The KTM was really a one person bike.

From 2009_102742nd

Airhead GSs have been on my Trademe favourites list a long time now. I’ve seen a few cheaper GS’s come up (Newguy, Barrie & Padmei). Padmei, you don’t know how lucky you are to have your bike. My finger hovered over the buy now for quite a while the night before you bought it…I have finally decided that I needed to build the bike I had lusted after for 20 yrs.

So where is this heading?
I have agreed with Mandy that I can spend the proceeds of the KTM sale on Gus. Given where the NZD has been against the Euro, GBP & USD I decided to buy some of the larger items now rather than wait. So I have ordered a bunch of parts from Motobins to allow repair of Gus & the RS, Touratech pannier racks & a 43l Tank (I like big tanks & I cannot lie...), to change the handlbars & risers, & have ordered an Ohlins shock from Robert Taylor at CKTechnical. Robert's price has been comparable to import (before freight & GST!), but I get the shock build to my specs.

The wishlist is somewhat more advanced....

To make this thread a bit more manageable I have started & will expand on an index - green text are links. For much of the maintenance & modification I haven't always included links, largely because this happened over a number of posts or pages & may be predominantly text.

Index of Maintenance
- Replacing the carb throttle pivot o'rings
- Replacing front wheel bearings
- Do you need to improve your R100GS rear brake? How?
- Replace a spoke in the rear cross lace wheel
- Fork oil replacement (standard forks)
- Discussion of Emulators in standard GS forks
- Replacing a head gasket & replacing the camchain
- Re-ringing Gus, & putting in 9.5:1 Pistons. Part one / Part two
- Replacing the rear Main Seal, & Oil Pump o'ring
- Breaking into the gearbox Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
- Replacing the battery

From 2014-02-02 Top of the South Trip

Index of Modifications:
- List of modifications / upgrades to date
- Fitting the HPN Tank
- Nissin 4 Pot Brake Conversion
- Fitting Pivot Pegs
- 48mm KYB fork conversion
- Discussion on replacement sidestands
- Discussion of Emmulators in standard GS forks
- Wiring in resistors to remedy hyperflashing indicators
- Fitting a Baja Designs 8" headlight unit & a Trailtech Vapor Speedo Unit
- Hardhead rocker cover protectors (replace crashbars)
- Modifying the rear brake pedal to improve leverage, & therefore braking capacity
- Changing to the exhaust back from a two into two, into a two into one - using a SV1000 left hand muffler
- Carb float bowl breather mod to give a higher wading depth.
- Replacement LED Tail Light
- Getting a replacement Rego Plate
- Building a front wheel (new Excel Takasago Rim & spokes) & servicing the forks
- Servicing an HPN oil cooler thermostat

From 2014-09-07 Cold Kiwi & 42nd Traverse

Index of day trip ride reports:
- Odlins Rd diversion. Akatarewas, Nth Island
- Sutherlands Hutt (Aorangi Forest Park), May '11, associated video clips - South Wairarapa, North Island
- Takapari Rd (Nth of Palmerston North) Jul '11 - Ruahine Ranges, North Manawatu, North Island
- Ocean Beach Ride Aug '11, & ICU breakdown. South Wairarapa, North Island
- Ocean Beach in the Rain - Wairapara Sept '11
- The Ride Of The Steves - Sutherlands Hutt & Ocean Beach, Wairarapa Nov '11
- Ocean Beach 2 up with Mandy Boxing Day '11
- Ocean Beach with Shewolf NZ, 2nd Jan '12
- Ride into the Mangatooks, Kapiti Coast, 4th Jan '12.
- Dusty Butt Pre Ride - Glendhu & Flat Point, Wairarapa, 15th Jan '12
- Two Fatties & A Skinny Take On Odlins Rd (Waiotauru Rd - an ex logging road / track) - Akatarewas, 4th Feb '12
- Ocean Beach with EddieB - South Wairarapa April '12
- MAD (Makairo, Aikitio, Dannevirke) Wairarapa, 30th Sept '12
- Odlins Rd, Akatarewas, Upper Hutt, North Island. 25th Nov '12. Fell off, broke some ribs, punctured a lung...
- Ocean Beach 26th May '13. Back in the saddle again...
- Ocean Beach & Onoke Spit 6th June '13 with Manakau_KTM (Wayne)
- Hinakura Rd, Riversdale Beach, Castlepoint Beach & Pack Spur Rd (paper road), Wairarapa 30th June '13
- Castlehill Rd / Puketoi Rd (non maintained road) / Daggs Rd - Bideford. Wairarapa 21st July '13
- White Rocks & Tora, South Wairarapa, 1st Sept '13
- Sutherlands Hut & Onoke Spit 20th Oct 13
- Takapari & North Range Road (North Manawatu, North Island) 16th Nov '13 . It must be November, I've broken some ribs again.
- Glendhu & Admirals Rds, Wairarapa. Dec '13.
- Rimutaka Pylon Track & Ocean Beach 22 Dec '13
- Visiting (but not riding) Pukemanu Adventure Ride, Martinborough, South Wairarapa, 23rd Feb '14
- Sutherlands Hut Track, Aorangi Forest Park, South Wairarapa. 26th April '14
- Martinborough / Riversdale Beach / Puketoi Rd, South Wairarapa. Sun 4th May
- Takapari Rd, Ruahine Forest Park, Pohangina Valley, 1st June '14
- Puketoi Road & checking the Makara Track, North Waiararapa 27th July 2014.
- Not the Distinguished Gentlemans Run - Wellington, Oct '14

From 2013-10-28 Cape To Cape

Index of multi day ride reports
- Cold Kiwi Sep '10 - Central Plateau, Nth Island
- 42nd Traverse, Old Whanga Rd, & Kiwi Rd Nov '10 - King Country, North Island
- Clarence River Reserve Feb '11 here, here, & here. Kaikoura East Coast Sth Island, & Reefton, Sth Island
- Easter Trip Away Apr '11, North Island - Taumaranui, Whangamomona, Taupo, Lake Waikaremoana, Gisborne & back to Wgtn
- Cold Kiwi, Old Whanga Rd, & the 42 Traverse Sept '11 & here. Video of the 42nd rockwall here. Central Plateau & King Country, Nth Isld.
- WAR. Waiouru Adventure Ride, Waiouru Miltary Training Grounds, Dec '11. Day one, day two, & day three
- RRRR 2012 (Round Ruahine Range Reversed (Part One) & Part Two - 24th & 25th Mar '12
- East Cape Airhead Ride, East Cape North Island, 20th - 23rd April '12. Days Three & Four here.
- MMMM 2012, July 2012, East Cape North Island
- Aborted Cold Kiwi attempt Sept '12
- Cape to Cape ride. Cape Egmont to East Cape, 25th - 28th Oct 13
- Top Of The South Ride - 29th Jan to 2nd Feb. Rainbow Station & Molesworth, including the Lake Sedgemere to Severn Track. Edwards Pass. Braeburn Track, Porika Track & the Maruia Saddle. Clarence River Reserve. The Molesworth.
- The MMMM 2014. 15th & 16th Aug. The Ride Up & Day One, Day Two, & the Ride Home
- Cold Kiwi 2014. 5th-7th Sept, Horopito, Central Plateau, North Island. Ride Up, Cold Kiwi Rally & the 42nd Traverse, The Ride Home
- Cape to Cape 2014, North Island NZ, Oct '14. The ride there & day one. Day two & the ride home

From 2014-02-02 Top of the South Trip

Other
- What really dumb things have you done in the garage
- Airhead Philosophy
- Link to the CC Products performance upgrade article (twin plugging, compression increase & rejetting an Amercian GS)

From 2011-12-09 WAR

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 11-11-2014 at 11:24 PM Reason: Restructuring front page & adding index
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote