User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Corona OP
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
Gear shifting on the f800gs with MX boots

So last week I thought I would cut my off road teeth on some byways in the UK on my f800gs. All was going well until I came across some muddy ruts and my OEM road tyres gave up and the bike took a tumble.

All good as I had crash bars until the bike pinned me to the floor nearly snapping my ankle. Now not so good as I was in the middle of a forest, in the dark on my own. Anyway I managed to wriggle free narrowly avoiding a broken ankle but from this experience I decided to buy some proper MX boots instead of my road boots.

I now have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 boots which feel suitably tough enough to protect my ankle but I now find it super hard to change gear as my ankle doesn't move. Is there a nack to this, do I need a longer gear lever, is the gs suitable? Any advice appreciated.

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
I wouldn't say that you necessarily "need" one, but an adjustable gear lever would probably help you to shift. I've had a similar issue with my Sidi Crossfires. I didn't go with an adjustable-length lever, but I did remove mine and angle it up a bit to help with shifting.

Ultimately, it's whatever you're comfortable with, and you can use safely. Touratech and Wunderlich both make adjustable levers that will probably make it easier for you; the good thing is they're relatively cheap.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
gregneedham
I seem to fall often

Oddometer: 854
Adjust your gear lever all the way up. That might help a bit. Give yourself some time on the bike riding with the boots, you will get the hang of it.

The first time I hopped on my bike with my Alpinestar Tech 8s, I almost dumped the bike 10 feet in front of my house. I couldn't shift to save my life.

Now it's second nature and wouldn't go back. Like everything else, it just takes some time.

My 640 Adventure blog
My 1150 GS blog (retired)
Memphis to Moab - TAT 09 Blog
designkeywest.com
gregneedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 224
I had to adjust my stock gear lever up with my new boots. No problem since and its cheap to do!
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Corona OP
Dreaming of Dreaming

Thanks for the info guys. Should my boots be slightly big or should they be a tight fit? I am normally a UK 9 and I ended up buying a US10 boot.

2005 CBR600F4i
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona
Thanks for the info guys. Should my boots be slightly big or should they be a tight fit? I am normally a UK 9 and I ended up buying a US10 boot.
In normal shoes I use 42, sometimes 41 or 43. I bought 44 for the MX boots.

I have EUR 44 and my brother EUR 42 on our MX boots (sidi crossfire). We can barely tell any difference in overall size on the outside but we sure notice a difference on the inside. The main difference you can tell on the outside is that the larger boot looks wider.

Buy larger than you think you need. Your feet will grow temporarily under exercise and from the heat. And you will be able to use thicker or double socks. I.e. a thin liner and a thicker ontop of that. Preferably made out of wool or similar. Smell less and wont get as cold when getting wet from the inside or outside.

With regards to the original question. Gear shifting will usually only be easy in one direction, down or up, but not both (I prefer down). If you venture offroad a lot - position the lever so that it is easy when standing up. When you sit down you can fiddle around a bit without creating a major problem.

You may also need lower footpegs to work well with the rear brake when standing.

A MX boot like the sidi crossfire allows for more movement of the foot, to a certain level, than many of the competitors.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Smoke 'Em
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Just practice up a bit! I can shift fine in stock configuration with my size 47 crossfires.
Smoke 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,747
see if you can move the shifter up 1 notch on the splines. At least this will allow you to get your boot under the shifter.

Until the boots break in, try shifting by lifting your whole foot instead of bending your ankle. Walking in the boots helps break them in but it sucks trying to walk in MX boots.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona
I now have a pair of Alpinestar Tech 7 boots which feel suitably tough enough to protect my ankle but I now find it super hard to change gear as my ankle doesn't move. Is there a nack to this, do I need a longer gear lever, is the gs suitable? Any advice appreciated.
The f8gs's gear shift lever is about 20 mm shorter than an 1150gs and really a pain for someone wearing size 47 mx type boots. My resolve was an adjustable gear shift lever from either Wunderlich or Touratech and pivot pegz. Life is good again....
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
The best solution would be a properly adjusted gear lever, a good boot with a hinge like the Sidi Crossfire and maybe a set of Pivot Pegz.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
Adjust the lever up one or two teeth but the boot should fit snug around your foot, it will break in. Alpinestar makes a great boot. If you look at the front of the boot you will see that it has a ruff area on the toe and the side. I mostly use the upper side of the boot to shift by just rolling the boot. I do the same on my dirt bike so I don't get caught with my foot stuck under the shifter.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
I have a set of Fastaway pegs in the low position ... It now seems about right. I always thought the pegs on the 800 were too high and forward for me.

Don't forget to remove the rubber footpeg inserts for off road at least, this will lower your foot on the peg a fair way, at zero cost.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
GrizGirl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Did you take the rubber boot off the pegs? I did that with a combination of adjusting the lever up a notch and all was fine. As the boots break in you will get a little more movement out of them as well.
GrizGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 261
Along with proper adjustment of the shift lever, I put PivotPegz on my F800GS and am amazed how well I can shift with boots on.

The pivoting action lets you easily get your toe under the shifter sitting or standing.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Corona OP
Dreaming of Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I have a set of Fastaway pegs in the low position ... It now seems about right. I always thought the pegs on the 800 were too high and forward for me.

Don't forget to remove the rubber footpeg inserts for off road at least, this will lower your foot on the peg a fair way, at zero cost.
Aha, how stupid I hadn't thought of that yet. I will go try it now.

2005 CBR600F4i