Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
"Farewell to Nova Scotia" - 2010 Maritime Tour

“Farewell to Nova Scotia, you sea-bound coast
Let your mountains dark and dreary be
For when I am far away on the briny ocean tossed
Will you ever heave a sigh and a wish for me?”

Back in 2004, my daughter then 14 joined me and several friends on a very damp East Coast tour. It rained 8 of the 10 days we travelled. When reminiscing about past adventures, we fondly refer to this ride as the "Rain Ride". Although the weather sucked, our resolve wasn't dampened. The Maritime hospitality and laidback lifestyle compared to where we live greatly warmed our spirits.

This past summer I decided to do a return trip to the Maritimes, visiting familiar places and exploring new. This time the weather would be much different. Although I did encounter a couple of days of rain, heat would be the dominate factor for which I was not properly prepared. Past experience taught me to be equipped for cold wet weather in these parts!

On my trips, I typically tend to try and pack in so much in such limited time. I want to experience everything a destination has to offer. This was the case again for this trip. I had 11 days to do a world wind tour of the East Coast. I tend to be a planner and had some rather aggressive daily goals. The thing I hadn't accounted for was the slower, "laidback" driving styles and hordes of campers and RV's hindering my “spirited” enjoyment of the winding coastal roads. Traffic congestion in some of the more popular tourist areas was unbearable and frustrating while other places seemed desolate and uninhabited. I think next time I venture out East, I will do so in early September. I bet it will be cooler then. I did learn that I really do need to slow down.... well maybe just a tad (not literally, just need to "smell the roses") or perhaps just steal more time!

My route would eventually take me down the back roads of upper New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island to Canada's ocean playground, Nova Scotia. I hoped for clear weather and to experience the hospitality and charm of the East Coast I had come to know in the past. Other than a minor mechanical malfunction requiring me to rip apart my clutch slave cylinder before the last morning’s departure, I had a terrific trip! I rode some great roads, visited scenic places, camped in some nice spots, saw whales close up, ate Lobster and plenty of seafood, met lots of friendly folk and partied with the locals; I was not disappointed. It felt like coming home.

Here’s a brief video teaser of my trip……

Twistn'roads screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 04:35 PM
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,896
great video
looking forward to the ride report
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
sac1032
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Fantabulous! Awesome vid and photos! Looking forward to the RR also!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
It feels like I'm traveling down the road with you, nice job, well done.

08 DL1000
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,382
Brings a tear to my eye to think I've been away from my home province of Nova Scotia for soooooooo long. Thanks for sharing.

DW
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner
Brings a tear to my eye to think I've been away from my home province of Nova Scotia for soooooooo long. Thanks for sharing.

DW
Yes, a very beautiful and charming place. I look forward to going back one day. It felt like home for me and I can't claim to come from there! Stick around, I'll be starting to post up my photographs and ride report in few days. If the video brought a tear to your eye, you'll be bawling then

Cheers,

~TR~
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
shepoutside
Canadian - eh!

Oddometer: 163
Very nice, and I'm heading there is Early October, so enjoyed the vid alot!!!

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice --Neil Peart
shepoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"An Early Start"

Day 1 - July 31, Home to Lake Groton, VT

This trip began like every other I've done before. I was awake well before the alarm clock's annoying wail. I guess it was the excitement and anticipation of another tour. I so look forward to these journeys. I looked out side and was greeted with clear dawn skies. After several cups of strong coffee and a final inspection of my bike, my 11 day Maritime world wind tour was underway.

Today's itinerary was to be mostly about gaining distance. Normally on my trips I like to stay away from the droning boredom of the "super slabs" in favour of secondary highways and back roads. I knew however I would have to compromise if I was to reach the Atlantic coast in two days. I had a fairly long day ahead of me; about 900 km. Once I crossed the US border I would follow I-90 until somewhere near the Finger Lakes and then spend the rest of the day on twisty back roads through the Adirondacks, across Lake Champlain, through Vermont's Green Mountains until I reached my destination for the day, Stillwater State Park on Lake Groton. The weather turned out to be great but I must say, the temperature was a lot hotter than I'm comfortable with. Some notable fun roads that I really enjoyed today included New York SR-51, New York SR-10, Tracey Rd., and Vermont SR-17 through Camels Hump State Park.

I didn't arrive at Stillwater SP until sometime around 6:30 pm and being a Saturday during prime summer vacation season, I was afraid there would be no campsites available. I was in luck however. The friendly lady at the park office said there were still 4 sites to choose from. I was hot, tired and rather road weary so without going to look for myself, I asked her which was the nicest and she said site #3. It was close to the lake and had a creek flowing right behind it. Oh, and she arranged for another friendly park staff person to drop of some firewood with his pickup because there was no way I could strap it to my bike with all the other crap I was carrying. This was a good campground with well kept facilities. After setting up camp with the aid of several barley sandwiches, a fine dinner of goulash made with homemade dehydrated burger, and a crackling fire, I quickly fell asleep to the sounds of the gurgling creek.

"Ready to launch"

I stopped in Montpelier, VT to get gas and pick up some supplies before going to the campground. Just down the road from the service station was this brilliant building.

Vermont's State Capital building

Stillwater SP Spot location

Stillwater SP campsite #3

The creek behind

Old 08-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First Day Video

Some video of my favourite roads from the first day's travels......

New York State Route #51

County Route #6, Tracey Road

Vermont State Route #17 (Camels Hump SP)

Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
What kinda camera you're taking videos with, and how did you mount it?It films so clear and steady. Impressive videos and scenery. Thanks...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia
What kinda camera you're taking videos with, and how did you mount it?It films so clear and steady. Impressive videos and scenery. Thanks...
The video camera I'm using is a VIO POV 1.5 helmet cam system. Rather than mounting it to my helmet I use a RAM clamp and mounting arm to position the camera at various locations on my bike. For most of the video I captured on this trip, the camera was mounted on the handle bars close to the lefthand mirror.

~TR~
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads
The video camera I'm using is a VIO POV 1.5 helmet cam system. Rather than mounting it to my helmet I use a RAM clamp and mounting arm to position the camera at various locations on my bike. For most of the video I captured on this trip, the camera was mounted on the handle bars close to the lefthand mirror.

~TR~
THANKS, keep it coming. I can now see something red-ish lens-looking thing by the handlebar on the picture above...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"Mountains & Trees"

Day 2 - August 1, Lake Groton, VT to Deer Island, NB

The day began very foggy. A heavy dew had fallen through the night. My tent was soaking wet. I packed up as best I could and hung up the tent fly to drip dry while I made something to eat and had a cup of coffee. I took a walk down to the lake to take a few pictures of the sun as it gradually raised above the mist. High above there was blue sky and already with the high humidity, I was working up a sweat. Today would be hot!

I continued eastward, leaving Vermont and followed SR-112 (the Kangamangus Highway) through the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The Kangamangus Highway, although not as long, reminded me very much of the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Southern Appalachians. The closer I got to Conway, NH, the busier the tourist traffic got. I had originally planned to head up to Mt. Washington but the traffic going in that direction was stifling. The opposing traffic coming into to town from the north was even worse. The heat was becoming unbearable and I had wished I'd brought along my mesh jacket. I eventually crawled up to a road sign that I remember from other ride reports I've read, "Hurricane Mountain Rd." I made a quick right turn and put the traffic chaos behind me. This road was an absolute blast albeit rather narrow. It was a lane and a half wide (at best) paved rollercoaster through the trees and over a mountain.

I continued northwards into Maine on SR-113 which although pretty rough in spots, was quite entertaining too. I would eventually take US-2 over to Bangor and then US-9 the rest of the way across the State. Based on a tip from a fellow forum member, I decided to head down to Eastport where I would re-enter Canada by ferry at Deer Island, New Brunswick. As I neared Eastport, I recall the smell of the sea air become very overpowering. This smell would be with me just about every day for the next number of days. I do miss it now.

After a bowl of chowder and a beer in Eastport, I caught the last ferry across to Deer Island; in fact, I was the only passenger. I had a good conversation with the ferryman who as a long time inhabitant of the island, gave me plenty of good info about the area. I would see him several days later as I backtracked some of my route home. Deer Island turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip. I managed to snag one of the best camping spots I've ever encountered in my travels at the Deer Island Point Campground, right on the point! The view was fantastic. Oh, and the last folks to stay there left a good stock of firewood! This place held a number of surprises for me over the course of the evening.

Quite an extraordinary phenomenon occurs just off the point of Deer Island when the high tide returns. "Old Sow" whirlpool, which is the largest tidal whirlpool in the western hemisphere, demonstrates the power of tidal flow. I witnessed this natural wonder sometime after midnight when the sound of rushing water woke me up. I came out of my tent to quite a scene. The channel was turning rapidly and noisily under the moonlit sky. I stood and watched this for half an hour before returning to bed. Again, I fell asleep to the sounds of rushing water.

Fishermen in the mist on Lake Groton, Stillwater SP, VT

Entering the White Mountains, NH

Kangamangus Highway view

Eastport, Maine

Ferry dock, Eastport, ME

Deer Island in the distance

I was the lone vehicle on the ferry

My "SPOT" location for today

My Deer Island Point campsite

You can just make out my tent by the pine tree in the center of this picture

The setting sun really brought out the colour of these lichens on the rock

Deer Island Point light

The view from Deer Island Point

Twistn'roads screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 05:42 PM
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Warpdriv
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Nice work!

Steve, your videos are outstanding. And I see you still have the usual great taste for planning and plotting twisty roads into your GPS.

Looking forward to the remainder of the trip, as it unfolds.
~Brad
Warpdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
Twistn'roads OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdriv
Steve, your videos are outstanding. And I see you still have the usual great taste for planning and plotting twisty roads into your GPS.

Looking forward to the remainder of the trip, as it unfolds.
~Brad

Hey Brad, first post! Thank you.

Good to have you aboard. Stay tuned..... 9 more days to go!