User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
Wicked F8 off roading protection

Which is the best protection for our motorcycle when we are going off road? I mean what we have to take off the F8 and what is the best parts installing on,to have the best-as it's possible-protection moving off?
I have now the BMW's handguards onboard but I am reading a lot about barkbusters.Is there so much difference between them?
Also I have install the BMW's skid plate and front protection bars of Hepco&Becker.Rear I have just mounted the bars installing on them the plastic side cases.
What are the points on the F8 that they are most sensitive in case of falling-so possible when moving offroad-?
What do you think?What's your experience offroading says about having the maximum protection for our bike?

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
vikingolly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
FGS Guards

I've looked at a lot of guards, trying to find one that will not catch my knees and also give protection to the radiator. Hepco and Becker seems to be the one!
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
search, there's a lot of info out there

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...800+crash+bars

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post10380709
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Talking

There are 4 necessary aftermarket items to purchase for your 800 for off road usage. All of these things I found to be suggestions by other ADV inmates after extensive time on this forum.

Skid Plate - BMW sends this thing out with the plastic crap that covers nothing. It's like wearing a transected condom, no protection at all.

Crash bars - These have protected my F800GS on two simple fall overs that would have cost some big $ on repairs otherwise.

Headlight protector - The lens is flat on the light. Non replacing and in the neighborhood of $700 to replace. Cheap insurance for the light.

Radiator Cover - Rocks like to impact here, get a rad cover.

One extra thing ovre the 4 items suggested are Bark Busters or other hand/lever protection.

I have the following that I am sure were the best type and best price. I am super happy with all of the items I purchased.

Bark Busters
Adventure-Spec crash bars
ADV-Spec skid plate - Covers the oil filter area perfectly too.
Adventure designs radiator cover
Best Rest light protection

I've seen all the Tourtech stuff like these items and the above companies are way better, thicker, and much cheaper. Ie. Adventure-Spec (Skid Plate, Bark Busters, and Crash bars, order on Monday, here in Alberta on Thursday same week about $650 for all inc shipping tax in! Beat that!

Mike
Hope that helps
Old 08-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
ecce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
crash bars (givi in my case)
barkbusters (bmw "large" version in my case)
large skidplate (bmw version = touratech, in my case. it is simply a must)
frame protectors (since the offroad boots chew metal from the frame :P)

I would like a headlight protector but do not know of any that doesn't crap the headlight light image totally, like the plastic touratech thingie does.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
[quote=mAthosalasI have now the BMW's handguards onboard but I am reading a lot about barkbusters.Is there so much difference between them?
Also I have install the BMW's skid plate and front protection bars of Hepco&Becker.Rear I have just mounted the bars installing on them the plastic side cases.[/quote]

Sounds fine to me all you need is a headlight protector. I have a lexan Ventura protector from New Zealand I think. There are plenty of different ones.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
matho... OP
Μιά ζωή OnOffάς!

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for all the post till now.I'm reading them and help a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911
Adventure designs radiator cover
Best Rest light protection
Where can I find them?

matho... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
mAthosalas,

You will find all the vendors mentioned in the external links sticky http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415604

As for crash bars, I prefer the SW Motech. They come up high enough to protect the radiator from side impacts.

You might also think about investing in a shift lever with a folding tip. Our gears are oversized and near bullet proof, but the shifting mechanism seems prone to bending internally.

I would say in order of importance;

Crash Bars
Skid Plate
Hand Protection
Shift Lever
Oversized kickstand pad (not really protection but can stop tipovers)
Headlight Protection
Mudsling to protect the rear shock from debris
Front Fender Extension
TouraTech metal radiator mount. (stock is plastic and prone to breaking)
Front and rear master cylinder protection. TT or Wunderlich
TouraTech Front Sprocket Cover. This includes a stainless steel chain guard so if your chain snaps it wont take out your engine case.

I am of a mixed opinion on a radiator cover. I have not had any significant impacts to mine and I have read posts that some covers cause overheating. The fender extension on the front fender seems to keep a lot of my own front tire roost off the engine/radiator and I don't generally follow anyone too close to get roosted by them.

There is more; as much as time and money allows I suppose but IMNSHO these are the most important.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote