ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,545
Non-synthetic oil options

While my girlfriend's F650/800 engine breaks in, I'd like to change the oil more than the factory. What kind of oil are you guys using?

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
FlatBroke
No Guts No Gravel
 
FlatBroke's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Oddometer: 21
Shell Rotella 15/40. I use it in my 800gs,Kingpin, and my KLR. Reasonable cost,easy to find (WalMart) and has worked great in everything I've used it in. On a road trip once me and a buddy changed our oil in a WalMart parking lot! You can spend more for "Botique" oils if it makes you feel better, but I have never found any advantage over the Rotella in real world applications. You can check for yourself on the Rotella web site.

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthre...Board=9&page=1
__________________
Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true! "Homer Simpson"

If the facts don't fit the theory,change the facts. "Albert Einstein"

2009 BMW F800GS---backroad bomber
2004 Victory Kingpin---Sat. night & 2 up cruiser
2000 Kawasaki KLR 650---Daily beater
FlatBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
WvMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WvMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV
Oddometer: 101
Castrol

BMW seems to recommend Castrol (think it's mentioned in the owner's manual) so the Castrol motorcycle-specific 10W-40 should be a good choice. Auto Zone stores around here have it for about $5/qt.
WvMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
RAD800
Studly Adventurer
 
RAD800's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: northern NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 895
I saw the non synthetic motul 10w40 for 35au a gallon, cheap as shit. Maybe i should run it.
__________________




RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
vtbob
wanderer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Western Vermont
Oddometer: 502
+1 Have long settled Castrol in my motorcycles. I have found in superior to others.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
SCVGS
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: SCV, CA
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
While my girlfriend's F650/800 engine breaks in, I'd like to change the oil more than the factory. What kind of oil are you guys using?

Steve
How many miles are on the engine?
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
def
I've little to say
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 8,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBroke
Shell Rotella 15/40. I use it in my 800gs,Kingpin, and my KLR. Reasonable cost,easy to find (WalMart) and has worked great in everything I've used it in. On a road trip once me and a buddy changed our oil in a WalMart parking lot! You can spend more for "Botique" oils if it makes you feel better, but I have never found any advantage over the Rotella in real world applications. You can check for yourself on the Rotella web site.

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthre...Board=9&page=1
The HDEOs are excellent oils. They are very low ash, keep the engine spotlessly clean and provide a robust additive package. Oh, and they can usually go 10,000 miles between changes.

Rotella, Delo400 and Delvac 1300 are very simjilar and at less that $10.00/gallon, economical. Also, when travelling, they are available at truck stops. Truckers use these oils in their 500 HP diesel engines and get 20,00-30,00 mile OCIs...sometimes more...Oh, and those diesel engines go 500,000 miles between overhauls...'nuf said.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
How many miles are on the engine?
Almost 5000kms [3000 miles].

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Steve G. OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
The HDEOs are excellent oils. They are very low ash, keep the engine spotlessly clean and provide a robust additive package. Oh, and they can usually go 10,000 miles between changes.

Rotella, Delo400 and Delvac 1300 are very simjilar and at less that $10.00/gallon, economical. Also, when travelling, they are available at truck stops. Truckers use these oils in their 500 HP diesel engines and get 20,00-30,00 mile OCIs...sometimes more...Oh, and those diesel engines go 500,000 miles between overhauls...'nuf said.
I was under the impression that because this engine has the shared oil with gearbox/engine/clutch, that it would be a prime candidate for a high sheer visciosity oil to deal with the sheering effects of meshing gears. My last bike restoration, a CBX, I used diesel spec 15-40, API spec CC/CD, you are right, very good oil, which has a high zinc additive package for high pressure top end lubrication. Thing is, it last about 800 miles before the gearbox has reduced it to the consistancy of water. Not knocking diesel spec oil, great stuff, but I wouldn't run a bike on it for 10,000 miles, unless it had the 14 gallon oil pan that a CAT or Cummins engine has. This little twin Beemer engine should use a 'designer oil' as you call it, API Spec SG. After all, all oils are 'designer oils', different additive packages based on the application it is being made for.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
Tor
Native Viking
 
Tor's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: PD of SC
Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
Almost 5000kms [3000 miles].

Steve
Put a good full synth. in there, like M1 10W40 4T. But that's just me .
__________________
"Be Always Sure You Are Right - Then Go Ahead"

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
I run Amsoil 10w-40 full synth. I have to say, after a couple thousand miles I am thoroughly impressed.

If, however, I were to run a non-synth standard minereal oil, it would be Motul 3100 10w-40 or the standard BMW brand (Spectro) 10w-40.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014