ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Newm OP
Adventurer
 
Newm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 52
Radiator Guards

Looking for some radiator guards for the 800GS. Anyone have any advise as to which way to go? Anyone better than the other? Thanks
Newm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water
 
itsforrest's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Cardboard box by the beach
Oddometer: 330
I've been thinking about this also.

I have some pretty good scars on my bash plate, crash bars and hand guards. These obviously have saved the bike from further damage. However, I have seen no evidence of marks on the stock, plastic rad guard besides bugs.

Has anyone NOT running a rad guard damaged or punctured the rad such that it may have been prevented by an aftermarket guard?
__________________
The urge to buy terrorizes.
itsforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer
 
CheckerdD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Dave Rankine, Reno NV
Oddometer: 1,278
The FAQ on this forum has excellent information on guards. That might be why you are not getting many replies. Also what do you mean when you say radiator guards? If i't to protect the radiator when the bike flops over on it's side SW Motech and Givi make guards that are similar and work. If your worried about getting a hole in the radiator from a flying rock, home made guards made from chicken wire would work. I don't think this is a problem because the radiator is fairly high. Tourtech makes a guard that is similar - but they make a guard for all sorts of things that won't break anyway. Lastly if your going to Alaska and your worried about the copper sulfate that gets put on dirt roads bonding with the radiator with resulting overheating, that is not a problem on the F800 but is a problem on the 650 single. DaVE
__________________
Pavement! We don't need no stinkin pavement.
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,290
I love the Kildala guard. Solid protection from rocks and branches. Better for mud guarding as well. Best product I could find. PM "Kildala2000" to order one.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Newm OP
Adventurer
 
Newm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD
The FAQ on this forum has excellent information on guards. That might be why you are not getting many replies. Also what do you mean when you say radiator guards? If i't to protect the radiator when the bike flops over on it's side SW Motech and Givi make guards that are similar and work. If your worried about getting a hole in the radiator from a flying rock, home made guards made from chicken wire would work. I don't think this is a problem because the radiator is fairly high. Tourtech makes a guard that is similar - but they make a guard for all sorts of things that won't break anyway. Lastly if your going to Alaska and your worried about the copper sulfate that gets put on dirt roads bonding with the radiator with resulting overheating, that is not a problem on the F800 but is a problem on the 650 single. DaVE
I have spent many hours looking through the FAQ section of the forum but had not really found much talk about options for frontal protection on the rads. I know TT makes some but hadn't heard of to many other options.
Newm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Newm OP
Adventurer
 
Newm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I love the Kildala guard. Solid protection from rocks and branches. Better for mud guarding as well. Best product I could find. PM "Kildala2000" to order one.
Thanks I will check it out.
Newm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 1,824
The Kildala is really nice. Gots me one too.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
sarkmych
Adventurer
 
sarkmych's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 64
I purchased thw Wunderlich one first but found it very flimsy so I returned it and bought a TT one. Very good quality and easy to install.
__________________
"give your free will a chance, you've got to act to succeed"

07' WR450F
sarkmych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
kildala2000
The GS Store.
 
kildala2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Northern BC Canada
Oddometer: 2,058
Thumb Rad guard

Thanks for the comments guy's. After my holidays I'll have more in stock.
Ride Safe,
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere
 
ride2little's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Franklin, TN
Oddometer: 1,918
I have the...(uh, uhm...) Touratech. It was on the bike when i bought it.
It's powder coated black so it kinda hides.
I like subtleties, not in your face bolt-on looking stuff.

Not my bike, but a good pic of how it looks.

__________________
~MK~
BMWF800GS
KTM 400 EXC
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
mapuda
Crash Tested
 
mapuda's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 265
Best Rest sells the Metal Mule variant; $68.00
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Bartron
Bike Punisher
 
Bartron's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: mid-west-northern Canadia
Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000
Thanks for the comments guy's. After my holidays I'll have more in stock.
Ride Safe,
Rick
Sweet! Is this the updated design?
__________________
Ride on.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014