Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
NordStrom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Risers for Lowered K9 F650GS

Hi All,

New member after lurking for year or two. My bike is an K8 Wee so I tend to spend more time on the Stromtroopers site but have always been grateful for the collective wisdom on this site as well.

However, my question is not about my bike. My wife finally came to the light and traded in her cruiser for a K9 F650GS with ABS. She is severely in-seam challenged so it is the lowered suspension, lowered seat version. While that has taken care of issues associated with her shorter lower half, she really needs a riser or barback to get the bars a bit closer to her; without a barback, she tends to lock her elbows when riding.

I've searched the site for riser threads and have found the one on the Rox install on a F800:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422768

Is this Rox riser (I think it is their 2" version) likely to work on her bike? Pardon my ignorance, but does the fact that her bike is lowered possibly give her a bit more cable to work with, or is she likely to have to re-route her clutch cable (as reported by several F800 owners who have installed this riser), and possibly get a longer upper brake line (which I had to do when I installed a riser on my Wee)? Anybody know - anybody out there put this riser on a 650 twin?

Secondly, can this riser be used on this bike to mostly get the bars back as opposed to up? I know that this riser is adjustable that way, but I keep reeding about some plastic bit near the ignition housing that prevents this.

Lastly, anything else out there that might work better than the Rox for getting her bars back?

Just heading out for a long weekend ride in the Olympic Peninsula. Will check back next Tuesday to see if anyone has any helpful advice for me.

Hope you all have great rides in your weekend as well.

Thanks,
NordStrom
NordStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
NordStrom OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I guess no one else here has put risers/barbacks on a lowered F650 GS. I would have thought this was a common problem since this is pretty much the only adventure touring bike out there that can be easily modifed for short/small riders.

For what its worth, I found another adjustable riser - like the Rox, but longer - that is put out by MV Motorrad in Germany. This riser puts the bars 70 mm, or about 2 and 3/4 inches from the stock position (either up, or back, or any intermediate combination of up and back). I ordered one for my V-Strom as well since this riser apparently permits the installation of a Scott's steering stabilizer, which is something I've always wanted on my bike, but my Genmar up and back risers wouldn't permit.

Once I've rec'd and installed the product, I'll file a report here on any fitment and installation issues for both my V-Strom and my wife's F650 GS.

Cheers,
NordStrom
NordStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I too have a lowered suspension/Seat F650GS twin and have considered a riser of some sort to bring the bar in a little. The reason why I haven't acted on it is really due to procrastination and the need to keep the bike on the road as it is my primary transport.

So - I'm very interested to hear the results of the installation and any feedback you may have on ride comfort.

Cheers.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
lotus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hey Nordstrom, I have the same issue. I lock my elbows when on my F650GS or I end up leaning forward which then makes for uncomfortable nether-regions. Please post what you find. I want to do this modification and am wondering about clutch and brake cable.

Thanks!!

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
combatkarl2
n00b

Oddometer: 6
F650gs Twin Rox Risers

I completed installation of the Rox Risers (2" rise for 7/8"bars). Has improved seating position & comfort greatly. Needed a longer brake line, and at recommendation of dealer, I used Goodridge brake fittings.
14" Clear coated Brake Hose #036112
Shadow 90 degree 10mm Banjo fitting #036459
Shadow Straight 10mm Banjo fitting #036455

I did have to use 2 compression washers on each side of the banjo fitting at the handlebars. Brake bleeding was uneventful.

I haven't had any problems with bars hitting the key area.
I can do pictures if anyone likes.

Karl
SE MN
combatkarl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
I also have the lowered 650. The 650 bars are smaller then the 800. Thus the 7/8" stated above.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
vdum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Just picked up a 2009 factory lowered F650GS for my wife. Same problem, her elbows locked. Got the Rox risers installed but the brake line is way to tight. Found one at Touratech, part # 040-0338 that is 15" long. Have it on the way.