Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,610
Still and all, parts prices for Airheads are not that bad. Sure, there is the $200+ ignition advance unit and the $100-each handlebar controls (/5) but how often are those needed? I'm sure if we dug enough we can recall some outrageous parts prices for late model, in-production vehicles.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Still and all, parts prices for Airheads are not that bad. Sure, there is the $200+ ignition advance unit and the $100-each handlebar controls (/5) but how often are those needed? I'm sure if we dug enough we can recall some outrageous parts prices for late model, in-production vehicles.
Well, of course!

A bean can costs $500 from a dealer but you only need to repalce or repair one every 1/4 million miles or so but prices for the small stuff have also gone through the roof. For those of us who really ride, $24 filter kits and $50 air filters really add up.

Maybe it just our turn to pay he "real costs" of our hobbies (The Europeans have been doing so for decades.) but with most of us tightening our belts already and food prices increasing along with everything else, parts prices have gone from being no-big-deal, to something that we have to think about. Of course, some guys will be priced out of the game.

Riding a used rice rocket is probably cheaper than riding an Airhead!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
I get most of my maintenance stuff, filters, etc., from Motobins in England. Buy a few at a time, usually a box of 6 or 12. They last me a few years. Just have to remember to order more when using the 2nd to last one so that I have enough to last me. Even electrical stuff is cheaper. Just had to replace a transmission neutral light switch on my 81 R100RT. Got it for about 1/2 the price of the Canadian dealer, including exchange, shipping, etc.

Yes, it might be cheaper to keep an old rice burner running, but what would be the fun in that? We would have a lot less to complain about. lol.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
Xcuvator OP
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,353
What really opened my eyes is comparing parts for British bikes and BMW's.

Last winter (for a change) I restored a 60s Triumph, that has been in the family forever. First class UK made parts are available for British bikes at much lower pricing. I am talking about comparable parts like seats, headlights, trim and other body parts. Engine and transmission parts are also much cheaper, and it can be said they were never up to "BMW" quality. But from a restorers perspective a bike can be brought back to very good condition for much less and be worth in many cases more than a BMW of the same vintage.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by S'ok
but prices for the small stuff have also gone through the roof. For those of us who really ride, $24 filter kits and $50 air filters really add up.
Holy cow. That is through the roof/off the wall. Oil filters or air filters for the /5 are $16, up $5-6 over the past 5 years. I change the oil @ 3000mi but the oil filter every other oil change (6000mi). The last 10 years I've used Golden Spectro oil, so that is a major expense. I stretch the air filter life by blowing it out w/ compressed air at oil changes (have 8100 miles on this air filter, 9K is about the limit so probably time to order another).

Living has gotten expensive-- I've been squeaking along on my retirement pension for the last 4 years and I have to juggle. But happy days, next year Soc Sec starts and the year after that my hacienda gets paid off so I'm going to be a rich ole f@rt.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Holy cow. That is through the roof/off the wall. Oil filters or air filters for the /5 are $16, up $5-6 over the past 5 years.
Yep! Bought an oil-cooler sized filter from my local dealer a few weeks ago and the bill came to $24 + Tax!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote