ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
ScEd OP
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
BRP In NC (UpDate)

3/30/05
The Parkway is now open from the entrance to Mt.Mitchell south to 441 at Cherokee. The closure of the section at the 276 gate north last week was due to the road being "Dug-Up" in front of the Pisgah Inn which by the way is also open now. Great Grub Stop, but remember No Gas now. Hopefully I can post a ride report. Wednesday was one of those perfect days for a ride.

The BRP is open from Hwy-276 South to Hwy-441 at Cherokee and in great shape. The Gate is Closed at 276 North toward the Pisgah Inn because "The Road is Dug-Up" as my new friend the cute little Female Park Ranger put it.
I Gather this was not part of any slide rather road work in progress.
A Lot of thick haze on the Parkway coming from two fires on Hwy-28 near Fontana and Deals Gap. (Thats where I rode Yesterday). BTW I had a chance to try the new Resturant at the Cross Roads of Time, 28 and 129.
Its a definate go. Sorry to post this just prior to two days of rain in the area.

ScEd screwed with this post 03-31-2005 at 08:25 AM
ScEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,238
Laprades Restaurant

Do you think Laprades on the West side of Lake Burton will be open by next week? Gonna be up there after next weekend.
Driller
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScEd
The BRP is open from Hwy-276 South to Hwy-441 at Cherokee and in great shape. The Gate is Closed at 276 North toward the Pisgah Inn because "The Road is Dug-Up" as my new friend the cute little Female Park Ranger put it.
I Gather this was not part of any slide rather road work in progress.
A Lot of thick haze on the Parkway coming from two fires on Hwy-28 near Fontana and Deals Gap. (Thats where I rode Yesterday). BTW I had a chance to try the new Resturant at the Cross Roads of Time, 28 and 129.
Its a definate go. Sorry to post this just prior to two days of rain in the area.
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
ScEd OP
Dances with Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Do you think Laprades on the West side of Lake Burton will be open by next week? Gonna be up there after next weekend.
Driller
Seems that LaPrades is normaly open by Easter Weekend. I Rode past Lake Burton on Hwy-64 last Friday. Wish I had known to check. The Lake was full if that helps, Sometimes the level is lowered to allow work in Winter.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
ScEd OP
Dances with Deer

Hey RTR, You ever get the e-mail I tried sending you?
Was a great up on the BRP Yesterday.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
driller
Twist and Go

Hongry fo chicken

Dinner at LaPrades next week. Thanks!
Is that "upstate SC" or "Up country"?
Some folks wouldn't understand.
2011 PCX 125
Old 04-01-2005, 05:17 AM   #7
ScEd OP
Dances with Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
Dinner at LaPrades next week. Thanks!
Is that "upstate SC" or "Up country"?
Some folks wouldn't understand.
Good Point their Driller, I see that you've been in our area enough to understand the difference. Location vs state of mind.
Hope you enjoy next week. Bringing a Bike?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
driller
Twist and Go

State of mind

Definately Jonesed about riding up there and very happy that the pkwy will be open as well. Been in and out of the area over the last 45 years, but this will be my first two wheel adventure up there. Even used to go "beaver" hunting at the Pisgah Inn when working one summer at Maggie.
Just won't be doing any off road riding since my riding partner will be on a street bike. Took him on a dirt( sand) road down in the Ocala NF this week and he wasn't too happy.
Oh well, guess I will just have to be content riding The Gap and Cherohala and BRP.
If you are free the middle of the week.......tap a note and ya'll come.
Driller........cracker boy in exile.
2011 PCX 125
Old 04-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,739
Hey Driller, you cornpone jawbreaker! How's the trip? You didn't miss the April Fools ride after all, weather and mechanical difficulties sidelined us. When you coming back?
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
driller
Twist and Go

The sun is shining......

...and I'm going riding. Looks like a three day window in the weather. Plan to putt around Saluda today and off to the BRP and Deal's Gap tomorrow.
2011 PCX 125
Old 04-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #11
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Question BRP basics

I'm hoping to drive the BRP from waynesboro all the way to the south end , do Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway and return North , perhaps through Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio and cross back home via Detroit. It would be april 23-26
Questions 1)- How many hours does it take to drive the BRP ? I know its 469 miles and a speed limit of 45 mph , is it realistic to plan on 12-13 hours ?
2) is returning north avoiding multi lane hiways via tenn. ky going to be a lot slower than just turning around and returning north via the BRP ?
3) what is the probability of snow / frost etc in the higher elevations? I'v seen climate data for the area that makes it seem weather should be averaging over 60 F , but I'm concerned that data is based on temps at lower elevations.

Thanks greatly for your input planning our spring ride !!
canadianstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #12
ScEd OP
Dances with Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianstrom
I'm hoping to drive the BRP from waynesboro all the way to the south end , do Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway and return North , perhaps through Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio and cross back home via Detroit. It would be april 23-26
Questions 1)- How many hours does it take to drive the BRP ? I know its 469 miles and a speed limit of 45 mph , is it realistic to plan on 12-13 hours ?
Can't be done. Two detours, One long one will kill your time. Plan two days on the Parkway. 2) is returning north avoiding multi lane hiways via tenn. ky going to be a lot slower than just turning around and returning north via the BRP ?
You Should know the answer after the trip down the Parkway. I Have never rode the routes northe of Deals Gap (Anyone)? 3) what is the probability of snow / frost etc in the higher elevations? I'v seen climate data for the area that makes it seem weather should be averaging over 60 F , but I'm concerned that data is based on temps at lower elevations. No Normal Weather Pattern exist in this mountain range. Last year I led a group from the Pisgah Inn to the Gap close to that time of year. Temps ranged from 60 to 90 DegF with afternoon Thunderstorms. The 2nd day, Bad Weather and Dark I led a group back via Hwy 276 from Hwy 19 to the Pisgah Inn rather than the BRP.
That way EMS Service was 10 min away rather than a hour and a half.

Thanks greatly for your input planning our spring ride !!
[Ride your own Ride. Should be a great trip.

Here are some good links with some of the info you need.
http://www.motorcycleadventuremap.com/Rdcd.html
http://www.tailofthedragon.com
http://ncnatural.com/Parkway/MilebyMile.html
Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
Alien Hitchhiker
Abducted by Aliens, again

Oddometer: 32
CanadianStrom - I have ridden the Parkway in about 12 hours (weekday in early June). If you are willing to pass where it ain't quite legal and fudge a bit on the 45 mph thing you can make fair time. Having said that, DO NOT GETA CITATION ON THE BRPW!!! It is a federal ticket and I remember reading somewhere that the Parkway Rangers are authorized to increase the fine up to $1000 if they feel your speeding was egregious.

IMO bypassing Mt. Mitchell will actually decrease the ride time. Traveling south on the parkway, exit where it is gated. Head north to 19E, and take it west through Burnsville and on to the new Interstate 26 (older maps will show it as US 23) Take I-26 east (it actually runs north-south through here but is signed east - west). Pick up I-240 east, which runs right through the heart of Asheville. It will take you back to the Parkway. From there you can continue on, or if you want to see some of what you missed - and you've decided to stretch it out over two days - head north on the Parkway and back to Mt. Mitchell (about 30 miles to the top of Mitchell from that point).

There you have it - one more opinion.
Enjoy your trip!