Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3346
NittanyRider
Walking Contradiction

Oddometer: 274
Wow, 3-stars?!! This isn't even my ride report, but I'm insulted!! I've been a fan since M1, and as far as I can remember this has been a 5-star RR. What happened?
NittanyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #3347
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #3348
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Here's a teaser from the Top of the World highway -- a great place to be, until the lightning kicks up.

You should post that pic in this thread.
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #3349
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 138
Pull the battery from your pager.

Pull that battery from the pager so you will not get interrupted and get to work on the ride report. Your followers need their fix of Mobius. That is what work is for!

John
jeickerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #3350
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,771
I agree...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyRider
Wow, 3-stars?!! This isn't even my ride report, but I'm insulted!! I've been a fan since M1, and as far as I can remember this has been a 5-star RR. What happened?
who the hell are you people that give the 1 or 2 star rating to bring such a fantastic RR down? Who are you?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #3351
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1
who the hell are you people that give the 1 or 2 star rating to bring such a fantastic RR down? Who are you?
Hey! thanks for the support, but no worries, the rating system has been changed and upgraded... It's like t-ball now, -- there are no loser ride reports.
***** = metaljockey
**** = epic
*** = inspiring
** = excellent
* = niiice

I'm honored to have Mobius rated as epic, and thus differentiate it from the way-over-the-top adventures like metaljockey's, or the estonians.

Photos downloaded and geo-tagged, waiting in LightRoom for processing -- only about 200 more emails to sift through before I can get to it.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #3352
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Welcome Home!

Doc and LDF,
I have not been stalking (err......following )you two on your Spot page, but I sense a successful trip. I was expecting you to be a bit farther south at the conclusion though.

I look forward to your sharing your trip in your usual entertaining style. I will have to live vicariously for a few years.

Yeah, my wife and I are starting a great adventure. It is kind of cool to be starting it at this point in life. You know, you and LDF would make good parents too..........raising kids is the ultimate Mobius trip.
Cheers,
Doug

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #3353
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Let the games begin

First off: Thank you for your patience. I am fully aware how many days have elapsed since returning. I apologize for not having started writing sooner, but... well, I could supply excuses, but it doesn't really matter. I now have the media downloaded and enough crossed off my to-do list so that at least I can get started. There may be some delays, but I'm committed to either process or post a bit each day. No intentions to string things out, but that's just my reality for the time being.

Big picture -- consider the definition of
par·a·dox [par-uh-doks] –noun
1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Our impression of Alaska, Yukon, and Northwest Territories through our travels on Mobius 6 is that the northern hinterlands are the land of paradox.

Focus on definition #4. commonly accepted opinion: ie, the area is remote, uninhabited, those who do choose to live there are fiercely independent, nearly hermits. help is rarely available, you must have impeccable survival skills, conditions are primitive, etc.

I can see how these opinions evolve, but our experience was quite the opposite; there are so few roads, that anyone traveling across the land is on those roads. This was the most social of any of our Mobius segments. We met amazing people... locals and other travelers who were approachable, helpful, and, while certainly prepared and capable survivalists, at the same time seemed to savor social interaction. Motel facilities were easily available, and we had to make an effort to camp, and even then, it wasn't cowboy camping, but in well-appointed, (if empty) organized campgrounds.

We covered more miles on Mobius 6 than any previous segment. We learned that this is not our preferred m.o., but a necessary compromise to be able to go where we wanted to go, and see what we wanted to see.

The area up there can only be described as vast. The roads are few, and very far between. They're well maintained on the whole, but step 10 feet off them to either side and immediately you're in virgin, unspoiled wilderness with a capital W.

We both concluded that it's really impossible to experience the back-country of AK, YT, and NWT via motorbike. Unlike the TAT, the american west, or sounthern BC, if you really want to roll up your sleeves and immerse yourself in the land, you've got to leave the roads. That means travel via small airplane, foot, dogsled, snowmobile, canoe, kayak, etc.

Frankie says, "lets get started."

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #3354
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 1, Friday Aug. 6, 2010

Yeah, I'd worked the thursday night before, like I always do so I can get a free day off. I got home, and finished packing. Gave each of our duffel bags a hoist and tried to figure if either was over the new 50lb limit.

Switched some tools over to LDF's bag, and when mine (the heavier one) got on the scale, it read:

whew.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #3355
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Weve done this now

enough times, that it almost is second nature. LDF even made chicken salad sammiches for the trip with leftover grilled chicken that we'd otherwise have tossed.

it's almost too easy. Packing takes a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks like it did on M1-5. It certainly helped matters that weather was on our side.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #3356
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
First off: Thank you for your patience. I am fully aware how many days have elapsed since returning. I apologize for not having started writing sooner, but...
Doc don't apologize, you don't owe us anything. I am grateful for whatever/whenever you are willing to give it to us.

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #3357
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Before long,

we were approaching Seattle for our transfer.

We killed time between flights doing what we do best. or rather, second best.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #3358
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We took a little walk

through the terminal to stretch our legs,

Hanging out at the gate, waiting for our flight from Seattle to Anchorage, we "pre-briefed" our M-6 planned itinerary:

We in fact, got in at 11:30pm (did suck for us), and went right to sleep... much like I'm going to do now. More tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #3359
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
More tomorrow.
Lil' Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #3360
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I hope you all enjoyed

the "spanning time" reference:

Buffalo '66 - Photobooth

Ramzi | MySpace Video