Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42
Jenny,

You should do some sort of grass-roots fund raising like the Team Wild West guys did for Dos Sortoes. I would gladly buy an overpriced T-shirt from you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyindigo
+1
Good idea - I'm in for a t-shirt at least.
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #17
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42
Jenny,

You should do some sort of grass-roots fund raising like the Team Wild West guys did for Dos Sortoes. I would gladly buy an overpriced T-shirt from you!
Hee hee - yes, that is one of the things I've got in mind - I know a guy who knows a guy, and once I get a few sponsors on board, I plan to put together a design for a 'team shirt' for sure...

I also want to get a dedicated website up and running ideally (rather than use Facebook or similar), to use as a portal for info and uploads, but also so that people can order and pay for merchandise on line... I know I could do this through PMs and Paypal for example, but they take such a chunk that I'm looking at other ways to offer that facility...

In the next couple of weeks things should be up and running (although I'll be in Moab for a week from 12th September) - I do have a couple of product sponsors lined up already, but the problem (as always) is getting cold hard cash to help pay for the entry fee and assistance support team costs... it's frightening!

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 945
A lot of best wishes (or better "in bocca al lupo") from Italy too. As I told you I haven' been able even to enter a cheaper raid like the Heroes Legend so you can only imagine my envy...and admiration !
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Gerd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Eek

Good luck!

Selling t-shirts is a great idea...
Being kinda poor I can't help, but I wish you the best.
Also... bike pics please!
Gerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,264
Way cool.

Hook up with Nate over at Rally Raidio, would be cool to hear your thoughts on this leading up to it.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
stteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Great! Good luck Jenny!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Good on ya Jenny. I'll be watching and following your progress from "Down Under". Go girl
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #23
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,479
congratulations

on an aside, has Simon Pavey changed his nationality? He is an Aussie IIRC

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #24
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
on an aside, has Simon Pavey changed his nationality? He is an Aussie IIRC
That is true, however, he does have UK residency (and Australia being a colony, sorry I mean 'commonwealth country'... an ikkle biddy Union Jack on his national flag too of course)... but yes, technically he is still an antipod'

So that's two British riders, and one adopted one x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #25
lonesoldier84
SuperFlanker

Oddometer: 109
Holy shit!

That is awesome. Congrats and good luck. You will have an astounding finish, no doubt.

Question though:

How much is this going to cost you from start to finish as a grand total?

FZ6 vs North America:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=15686437
lonesoldier84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #26
maple1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I always read your adventure stuff, It'll be winter soon here, and i am ready, I love it!! . be careful and gogogo girl....
maple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #27
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
See this:

That is possibly the most expensive letter in the world!

Yep, today I received confirmation from ASO that my entry on the 2011 Dakar has been accepted... yep, that's right, the 2011 Dakar - in Argentina & Chile - in less than 4 month's time!

Gulp!

Fortunately as you will probably be aware from previous threads: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568696, I already have a rather tasty rally bike in the shape of a 2009 WR450 with the JVO 'lite' kit fitted, and which I consider thoroughly tested and shaken-down during the Tunisie round of the FIM World Championship this year (hell, for a month or so I was currently standing 10th in the world in the 450cc Production Class, but that has inevitably dropped to currently 20th overall as subsequent rounds have passed)... anyways, 22nd overall and 1st in the Ladies class was none too shabby for a first time out with the 'big guns' I thought?

But of course The Dakar is a very different beast - not so much the pace or the competition (many of which contend the World Championship too of course), rather the massive distance involved and the harsh rules that the organization impose throughout the duration of the rally...

Fortunately the WR is still in excellent condition, and with a few modifications (not least the addition of steering damper - what the hell was I thinking?!), the bike is pretty much good to go now... likewise, while I could certainly do with shedding a few lbs, I'm in pretty good (physical and mental) shape for undertaking such an extreme event.

Those of you who followed my exploits on the 'Heroes-Legend' Paris-Dakar rally last year: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512589, will know I have a good deal of experience (and modest success) in long distance desert rallying, and coupled with a far lighter machine and the support of Desert Rose Racing providing assistance, I am confident that a Dakar finish is well within my grasp this year - and yes, before you ask - I wouldn't have sent off my deposit if I didn't think I could do this thing!

However, I don't need to tell you guys this whole endeavor is cripplingly expensive! I am currently putting my sponsorship proposal together, and will have a package/document available in the next few days... in the meantime, I am serious when I say I am actively looking for a core and/or key sponsors for my campaign, so please do get in touch if you or you know of anyone/company who would like to get involved...

At the moment there are three British riders with confirmed entries - Simon Pavey (BMW G450X), Craig Bounds (who will be on a Yamaha WR450 this year) and myself (WR450)... as the only British Female entry, and one of only a handful of women who ever compete in Dakar anyway, I hope to attain a higher that average level of media coverage and publicity for my sponsors.

Indeed, while I am still in the arrogant self-deluded phase (ask me again when I've made the final payment to ASO, and again three days into the event itself I'm sure), I actually have two goals for Dakar this year:

The first is of course to finish the event, and in doing so will become only the third British woman to do so on a motorcycle - Patsy Quick being the first of course (in 2006) and Tamsin Jones being the youngest (2010). With those two accolades unattainable now, I guess that means I've just got to be the fastest eh?

So, it begins...

This weekend I shall be picking up the bike from having some auxiliary tanks custom made, then there will be a few additional modifications and final preperations to be made, which, luckily for you cats, I intend to document here on ADVrider, together with a kind of regular blog update thing to keep you all informed of progress!

So, please, sit back with your virtual popcorn, and enjoy the ride!

Toot toot!

JennyMo xxx
Wow!

That's Awesome!

Best wishes to you...I'll definitely be cheering for you and following your results!

btw....since I met you briefly at the scrub in Florida last year can I say that you're my friend the Dakar racer?

Rock On girl!!

(p.s. I was the dumb guy with the big beard and red v-strom)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #28
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Go JennyMo! Can't wait to see all the updates. Love following your threads and can't wait to see this one to the end.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
GOOOOOOOOOO, JennyMo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Way cool.

Hook up with Nate over at Rally Raidio, would be cool to hear your thoughts on this leading up to it.

Jim, Jenny's a pro at RallyRAIDio. http://www.rallyraidio.net/category/HeroesLegend (among others)

Can't wait for this installment!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
Congrats and Best of Luck

All the best to you and your effort from The Snortn Boar Racing Crew!

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote