User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #3361
Looper
The Dude Abides!

Oddometer: 251
Classic.. . . .

And bowling lore only rivaled by The Big Lebowski.

Sorry.. . . . on with the RR!!!!
Looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #3362
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
the "spanning time" reference:

Love it!

"do not touch me, do not kiss me"

Can't wait for the RR. Nice teaser doc.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #3363
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,477
Wohoo! the report is started!
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #3364
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
Wohoo! the report is started!
+1
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #3365
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #3366
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
patience rewarded.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #3367
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,043
Im "In" for M6.

and I agree... the Yukon and Alaska are BIG.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #3368
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 2: Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010

After our long night traveling, we slept in until what felt like noon. Except that we'd lost, er... gained 5 hours, so it was actually only 7am. We grabbed a quick breakfast at the motel, and stepped outside to hail a cab.

Not as easy as in NYC!

Our motel was a mere 1.3 miles from Motoquest H.Q. and when we got there, we were greeted with open arms.

Our bikes were where we'd left them, only now they had cobwebs on them.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #3369
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had some work to do

Honeybee was due for a new battery... LDF mixed up the 'lytes:

I got busy breaking chains,

and changing brake pads,

all the while trying not to get underfoot while the Motoquest crew was prepping a fleet of F800's for the Swedish bikini team (doesn't get any better than this).

They interviewed us while we were working, so maybe we'll be famous in Sweden. Didn't get any photos or video myself... they were middle-aged men. Kinda surprising for a bikini team. But they were Swedish, that's for sure.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 12:31 PM
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #3370
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was a long to-do list...

New chain guides and sprockets all around:

LDF's:

mine:

hey,... OK, I weigh more. What's the big deal?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #3371
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

New tires

balanced with dynabeads:

new front sprockets -- Blueberry's was particularly stuck (must have been the red locktite slathered on the splines ). When it wouldn't budge with gentle persuasion, application of heat, and every swearword I know in two languages, the proper tool was purchased from the Napa across the street, and it was easy peasy.

When it started to sprinkle outside, and the Swedes had launched, I snuck inside to work... shhh.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #3372
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It wasn't all

nose to the grindstone...

we met some great folks...

Gary, (aka, GaryAK) who has been following along our ride, and came out to meet and hang out with us at MotoQuest H.Q., and ended up being more than a great help. : Thanks for everything, bro!

His time-share dog, Duke:

We chatted with Adam (aka, JediMaster) who's on a RTW trip) (North american segment chronicled here on ADV). I was impressed with (among other things) his chain longevity with the Scottoiler system... I may be revising my chain-maintenance practice.

Turns out, I'd been in correspondence with Adam's friend Geoff who had contacted me regarding Tent Space accommodations in a couple of weeks. Small world, eh?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #3373
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

With most of the work done

and most of the day spent, we were starving for a good sit-down meal. (Not that the pizza for lunch wasn't good, it was. (For Anchorage. )...

Gary treated us to some fine dining, and even finer story-telling about his days on the Anchorage police force, apprehending hardened violent criminals right there in that very restaurant, also flying a small plane into the bush and landing on a riverbank, and also hunting caribou with his bare hands, and then the one about fixing a snowmobile drivetrain using only bark stripped off of a spruce tree in -68F weather, and so on.

I gotta say, Alaskans are an impressive bunch.

I'm sure some of the stories were true, even.

After dinner, we got a tour of Anchorage:

and slept soundly in the Harley Davidson parking lot, dreaming of slugs.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #3374
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 2 tracks and elevations

Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #3375
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 3: Sunday, August 8, 2010

We woke up early, and it was like a dream-come-true:

I wish we had better dreams, sometimes. Whattaya gonna do?

We had a few things to sort out... getting some gas, for one. I got to borrow the scooter:

and picked up some pastries and coffee for the crew while I was at it.

I mention that only because we kind of crash in on Motoquest, and they're so nice to us and accommodating that I don't want anyone else to think they can get away with what we do without buying them lunch and coffee and beer and whatnot.

I mean, shoot, we sort through our gear, and air out our tent and sleeping bags and the place looks like the Clampetts rolled through.

Beverly Hillbillies Opening Theme - Click here for another funny movie.

But they're all good-natured about it, and they even gave LDF an Alaskan flag to carry on her bike so we'd feel like we were in a parade.

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 01:13 PM