User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Newfoundland's Very Best Trail

Back in October of 2009 I became a big fan of the work Elroy Grandy and the many folks involved with the Burin Peninsula Trailway Association have been doing by way of developing what is (in my opinion) the best multi-use trail network in the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador.

My own introduction to the what was on offer on the BP, in the way of trail riding, came when my buddy Craig invited me to go ride the trail from Garnish to Point Rosie last fall. I was blown away by the 26 km long stretch of trail, which winds it's way right along the coast, including several long rocky beach crossings. The combination of smooth, but twisty and hilly trail conditions, with a constant view of the blue waters of Fortune Bay, as you ride along, is simply astounding.

Over the past winter, the BPTA took another major leap forward in the development of their trail system. They connected the famous Powderhorn Mountain trail, to the Garnish to Point Rosie trail, via an overland route which spans the glacial barrens between these two established trails, by way of a new 30+ km trail.

This new route is still under construction, and is thus very rough and technical in places. There are plans to better groom the route, once further funding becomes available.

Jim and I started out on our bikes from the Point Rosie end of the trail network, at noon, on Sept 1st. We eventually reached the Powderhorn trail exit on the main road, near Boat Harbour, four and a half hours later. Our total running time, according to Jim's Trailtech computer, was three hours and twenty minutes. Total off road riding distance was 72 kms.

It was all fun and games from Garnish to Point Rosie, but once we entered the new under construction trail system link, we really had our work cut out for us. Unlike ATVs, our open course 450 cc dirtbikes need to be kept moving at a fairly good pace, to prevent overheating, since neither bike has a cooling fan. Jim's onboard computer showed engine temps hitting the 110 degree Celsius mark, at least three or four times, during our ride through the newly cut trail.

But despite the beating both man and machine took on this ride, it's clearly the most impressive trail route I have ever ridden, and it promises to be accessible to even more riders, once the middle section of the route has been improved to the same level as the other two trails which it connects.

Here's some video captures, an HD video from along most of the route, and a few still photos from our adventure...

The bridge which acts as a gateway to the trail system on the Town of Garnish end...

More photos from between Garnish and Point Rosie...

The following photos were taken beyond Point Rosie, while riding the new overland route...

Finally made it...

Trusty steeds back aboard the truck at Garnish...

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 953
Nice work

What did you shoot this with? And where was the camera mounted
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
DRZ400SK4 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
What did you shoot this with? And where was the camera mounted
A GoPro HD, mounted on the front of my MX chest protector.

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,930
*envy*

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote