Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #3391
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Day 3 tracks and elevations

click image for larger version:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #3392
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Ouch.... The DRZ miles! Keep 'em coming Doc.
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #3393
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 4: Monday, August 9, 2010

We awoke to a wet world. LDF cracked me up when she told me she couldn't remember which side of her GPS got inserted up...

it hadn't been all that long since M-5 ... I try to make these things easy on her.

We unpacked and re-packed all our gear... quickly falling back into the groove of what belongs where. I sent out the morning Spot OK message:

And we took the time after getting our riding gear on to introduce our corporate sponsor for Mobius-6:

jiffy pop!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #3394
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
I'm buckled in and ready to go again Doc !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #3395
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We eventually

got our asses in gear... and rolled onto the cold, wet, and foggy Denali highway.

We were so excited to be riding off-pavement, that we just dealt with the weather like no-big-deal. I think that ended up setting the tone for our weather-dealing-with attitude for the whole rest of the trip.

We stopped for a break next to the Nenana river,

near this sign,

completed the life-cycle of our morning coffee, and put on our rain pants. While we were doing so, we nearly got run over by a mini-tanker truck that was just screaming down the road.

We made a mental note to make sure to pull way over on the side of the road whenever we stopped for breaks.

We were riding towards the sunlight,

Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #3396
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our first real look

at the tundra... the low clouds and morning angle of the sun...

we're riding out of the worst of it,

and towards some patches of blue sky for once.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #3397
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Crossing the Susitna river

slippery wooden bridge, upstream:

downstream,

and go!

Clearing skies up ahead?

Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #3398
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Climbing out of the valley

looking back at the bridge,

happy to keep moving away from the rain, towards this:

I gotta say, I was really glad we'd changed to some real knobbies once we were on roads like this -- you could tell it was slick by looking at it, but the bikes felt planted as could be.

"rhymes with debonair" I crack myself up sometimes. Totally didn't remember saying that.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #3399
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

60 to Paxson

just a little riding sample and some idle chatter...

another break... remember to hydrate.

and a view of a distant glacier across the tundra:

Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #3400
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The road ahead

gaining some altitude:

anticipating some nice views at the top, it certainly was impressive along the way,

where ARE we? it's otherworldly.

I felt about the size of an ant.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #3401
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The low clouds

still look plenty threatening,

but it's stopped raining, and the road is actually drying out.

more life on the Denali highway:

(this is the kind of parking lot I was referring to)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #3402
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Another glacier

and then too soon, we were back on pavement.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #3403
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Turning left

at Paxson, we were on the Richardson highway, heading north,

following the Delta river valley downstream, which eventually meets up with the Yukon river further north.

The long stretches of pavement allowed for higher speeds (translation: wind + wet = cold) But also, we could observe the scenery without worrying so much about the road surface.

as we progressed to lower elevations,

the skies really started to clear, and the temps started to rise.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #3404
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The river

was carrying a load of glacial silt, and the water level must have been low, 'cause the wind was really kicking up a dust storm. It reminded me of the dry alkaline lake beds in Nevada.

"makin' s'miles "

Old 09-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3405
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Rolling in to Delta Jct.

again, we felt like we'd stepped into another world. The variation of micro-climates is jarring.

we stopped for gas, and snacks before turning right to head towards Tok and the Taylor highway beyond.

Gearing up, LDF was swarmed by killer bees, which we noticed enjoyed feasting on their accumulated dead brethren on the front facing surfaces of our bikes any time we stopped.

To escape, she burned a donut in the gas station parking lot, popped a wheelie, and roosted gravel about a quarter mile 'till she got to the road.

Where she sat, waiting for me... "Are you coming? Hurry up, already... oh, by the way, my back wheel feels funny."

Ahem. something is wrong in this picture.