ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Stromski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Potomac Highlands "road improvement"

I was heading north along the South Fork river, wondering which route to take back to the digs in the Lost River valley. Going all the way up to Moorefield would mean pavement all the way, but many extra miles. Rough Run or Camp Run roads were more direct, but promised adventures I had not prepared for (I was cruising around after church, so I had not packed food, water or other supplies). Both roads have multiple stream crossings, which were a snap on the KLX400, but I had not attempted them yet with the 150 extra pounds of the DL650.

I turned toward Camp Run, just to take a break,

and decided to keep going.

I started looking ahead for water hazards, but found that this

(picture taken last year, might have been another crossing)
had turned to this

Oh, well, that is progress, I guess. Of the four crossings I recall, the two easiest ones remain,

which the Weestrom handled nicely.

The rest of the way up the mountain was gorgeous! Hard packed dirt and gravel and some great views from the top.

The way down, on the Virginia side was another matter. The road had just been gravelled. I know it was for the safety of the majority of motorists, but going down a steeeep incline with a thick, squishy layer of crushed stone made me feel very unsafe. Sorry, no pictures, I was kind of freaked out.

When the road did level out a bit, I was treated to one of my favorite mountain farm views

So, there you have it. 2 rural bridges + 2 inches of gravel = a somewhat diminished motorcycling experience. Still a great day, though!

Stromski screwed with this post 04-10-2005 at 09:29 PM Reason: photo did not come through
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote