Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
road set up for wr 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss
I have a 07 WR450F and want to use it more on the road (black top) to get to the off road stuff. I have all the lights, signals, mirrors and street legal plated done and other than the gearing and new seat it's ready to go. My concern is how will it hold up. Will I need to change oil every other day (30 hrs)? Will this type of riding increase valve adjustment requirements? Will it wear the top end/bottom end out (very) quickly? Crush drive from what?

It's a great off road (dirt) bike but I'm tired of trailering to areas to ride. I would rather ride to ride the trails and dirt. Essentially I want a TAT bike from my WR but am worried about reliability and longevity. Any solutions or wisdom? Thanks
A cush drive is a rear hub that has rubber isolation holding the sprocket to stop the hard facing on the gears in the gearbox from comming off and to stop the gears from shattering under hard acceleration and deceleration.

http://www.radmfg.com/cush%20kit.htm

A cush drive is also a must if you plan on doing long hard miles in sandy whooped out tracks where the gearbox is loaded and unloaded by uneven tracks. During a few big races here in Australia (Australian Safari and Finke)there have been a few cases where gear box failures have occured due to this.

NOTE THIS IS DURING RACE CONDITIONS AND USUALLY BY PRO RIDERS WHO HAVE THE BIKES ON WIDE OPEN THROTTLE FOR A LONG TIME

In regards to engine life riding on road, with a cush drive, Engine life should not be compramised if ridden sensibly You can still have fun but keep things within limits. They are not road bikes and shouldn't be ridden like one. If you can learn to keep some corner speed (this will take some time due to the way the suspension reacts) all will be good. If you come to a corner and slam the brakes on and then after leaving the corner give the bike 100% wide open throttle this hard deceleration and acceleration is what kills motors not normal riding

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote