User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #3436
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Hi Doc and LDF,
You have to love the mosquitos in Alaska. I remember turning over and going back to sleep because I thought it was raining. It turned out to be mosquitos pelting the side of the tent .

I hate to make comparisons, but Chicken, AK reminded me a lot of Denio Junction in Nevada. Or was it the other way around? The biggest difference is that they do not have a cannon to shoot womens panties or a bearded lady in Denio. Of course they don't have Brittney in Chicken........

Continue on Doctor, I am interested in what you guys think of Inuvik.

Cheers,
Doug

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #3437
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
"...there was a bee in her sock, and she forgot to check for scorpions..."

Ohhhh thank you so much for not posting that photo....
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #3438
GarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Doc

How are the Scala Q2's holding up?
GarryC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #3439
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
2 days of riding vs 2 days of lounging around.

Tough decision....

Liking the RR so far!
I might have hung around, at the bar.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #3440
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
Scalas performed perfectly... We're still getting a full day's life out of the batteries, which to me is impressive given the now 2-year age of the units, and the long, long days we were riding up at that latitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryC
Doc

How are the Scala Q2's holding up?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #3441
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We were treated

to some nice early evening light heading back down the Taylor;

Getting a little philosophical about the trip...

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #3442
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Re: retracing the Taylor

Quote:
to some nice early evening light heading back down the Taylor;
Getting a little philosophical about the trip...
Hey, I met you on the Dempster just outside Eagle Plains. Sorry you had to do the big detour. I waited 3 days in Chicken and was lucky to join a caravan across. I'm really enjoying your story.
For my trip log, see:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post13963492
Your picture is on it.
~Poppawheelie~

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #3443
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Hmmm. For the record, Blueberry has NEVER been to NYC. And Honeybee will likely never return.

When those bikes are done, they need to go into a display in a museum along with a history of who rode them and where they've been. It's simply amazing.

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #3444
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

More

ginormous landscapes,

we started noticing espresso shacks in the darndest places...

blue skies,

and cloudier skies.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #3445
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

When we got down

to the bottom of the Taylor Highway, we turned around and checked the sign again:

we realized that going all the way back to Tok would take us 13miles in the wrong direction.

Instead, we decided to just turn left, and hope we'd find gas and lodging along the AlCan towards the border in the direction we were headed.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #3446
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The next section of riding

was pretty intense. First off, our initial enthusiasm of just putting our heads down and blasting the long way around was starting to wear off. It'd been a long day, and it was starting to sink in that we had a couple of full days of pavement in front of us -- not a happy prospect on the DrZ's.

Second, the light was really surreal.

the sun was getting low, and we were riding right into some thick dark clouds.

We had been joking about the possibility that there could only be one bad thing happening at a time on Mobius trips -- we could have a flat tire, or rain, or a road closed, or get lost, or a mosquito plague, but never more than one at a time.

Well, it was looking like we would be dealing with the road closed and riding in rain, so our theory was about to be shattered.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #3447
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Instead...

The theory was completely validated. It was raining everywhere where we were not... just in front of us, behind, to the side. We maybe got 2 or 3 drops on us. It was kind of cool, like when a top chef contestant wins the quick-fire challenge and gets immunity from the elimination round. That was us.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #3448
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Finally

at 10pm, we got to Northway jct. and filled with gas. We had hoped to get a room since it was already late, but our luck had run out.

No rooms available, AND, the skies opened up. At least we could wait it out under the cover of the overhead awning. Honestly, the accommodations looked kind of cruddy anyway.

So we decided to push on, cross the border, and see what we could get at Beaver Creek -- a mere 60 miles away.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #3449
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the border

we got the usual questions, where you going? how long? any snails?

And we recounted our tale of frustration and woe at having to endure this go-around. After she gave us the OK to pass, I asked her "by the way, we were told that even if we'd gotten through the road closure, that there wouldn't be anyone at the border... it that true?"

She just laughed and said no way, they wouldn't leave the customs unstaffed, those people would have to show up for work just the same.

In retrospect, if we had snuck around and showed up at the Canadian border, I'd bet they would have processed us and let us through. It would have to be a bigger hassle for them to hold us there than to just let us in. That said, the choice we made was definitely the bird in hand, but at this moment,

we were cold, tired, hungry, and we'd just lost an hour with the time zone change at the border, and it was seeming less and less likely we'd find a motel open at this hour.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #3450
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was past midnight

local time when we pulled into Beaver Creek. The first two motels we tried had no one staffing the desk. The third had a note on the door to knock on room 101 for after hours check in, but no one answered. Finally at the Westmark inn, we caught the guy just as he was about to leave, snagged their last room, had a handful of granola, and collapsed in bed.

Morale was pretty low, we'd pushed a bit too far, but we both realized that options are far and few between out here. Not our finest Mobius moment for sure.

This stats shot doesn't tell the whole story, 'cause I had the GPS off for almost 8 hours while we sauced it up in Chicken.

The map: (click for bigger)

and the elevations: (click for bigger)