Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #31
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,699
Id place the KLR higher up on the ladder for the best all around dual sport bike, over everything else out there.
Cheap, fairly simple, crappy suspension, brakes and comfort. But, they are cheap. Lots of aftermarket parts and glitter. Big tanks and the like.

My definition of dual sport any bike will need to travel on highways at highway speeds. The 400s, 250s and like are out of this group.

If I used my head instead of my heart, Id probably get the Honda XR650L. If I used my heart, Id get the Husky. I can add bigger tanks to either the Husky starts toward customizing from a little higher plane.
But, I still have to wear out my Adventure and I have no time to do that or ride any dirt for that matter. So, Ill remain confused and ill-informed.
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #32
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I like that answer.
I sold my XR650L right away because it wasn't the bike for me and I think the same would happen with the KLR since I'm not looking for a cheap but the best motorcycle for me, that brought me to the R1200GS, admitting that it's not for everyone and it's expensive but for me worth the money spent, maybe it has to do with age? I was surprised to read how much older the average motorcycle rider is now (~43) compared to 10 years ago (~35) at least in Germany.
Dual Sports for me (42 years) means mainly a more relaxed seating position and nice low end torque vs. high rev. engine with a folded sportive seating position...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
I’d place the KLR higher up on the ladder for the best all around dual sport bike, over everything else out there.
Cheap, fairly simple, crappy suspension, brakes and comfort. But, they are cheap. Lots of aftermarket parts and glitter. Big tanks and the like.

My definition of dual sport any bike will need to travel on highways at highway speeds. The 400’s, 250’s and like are out of this group.

If I used my head instead of my heart, I’d probably get the Honda XR650L. If I used my heart, I’d get the Husky. I can add bigger tanks to either the Husky starts toward customizing from a little higher plane.
But, I still have to wear out my Adventure and I have no time to do that or ride any dirt for that matter. So, I’ll remain confused and ill-informed.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #33
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Oddometer: 316
Interesting. I use a modified DR400 a lot.Pretty good trail bike,actually. But NOT comfortable for trips. Had a 1200GS.It was astounding for what it would do on nasty back mtn & desert roads.It was only on asphalt to get to dirt. For what it was, it really worked well. Used it a lot for 2 up,on nasties even. Stability was incredible. BUT ,I've had 2 BMW's,15 or so jap bikes. The reliability of the beemers was HORRIBLE. Unbelievable. Hope you guys have better luck.I guess Germans don't like me. Pissed off a lot of the "blue & white" afficionados on here sqwaking about it.Just ordered a Yamaha Tenere & glad I did. Back to worry-free motorcycling. For everything axcept real trail riding & maybe deep sand & mud , that GS was fine--when it wasn't broken.
Big Mistake onWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #34
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Hey, I'm German but not at all offended. I'm often surprised how many GS you see out there especially up in northern BC, not many Japanese bikes up in Alaska. I'm thankful for everyone buying BMW's made in Berlin, there are many alternatives...somehow the incredible sales success must be rooted in something and to me that's mainly a clear differentation in product and image, I love the BMW brand. I'm sure you're right about reliability and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
Interesting. I use a modified DR400 a lot.Pretty good trail bike,actually. But NOT comfortable for trips. Had a 1200GS.It was astounding for what it would do on nasty back mtn & desert roads.It was only on asphalt to get to dirt. For what it was, it really worked well. Used it a lot for 2 up,on nasties even. Stability was incredible. BUT ,I've had 2 BMW's,15 or so jap bikes. The reliability of the beemers was HORRIBLE. Unbelievable. Hope you guys have better luck.I guess Germans don't like me. Pissed off a lot of the "blue & white" afficionados on here sqwaking about it.Just ordered a Yamaha Tenere & glad I did. Back to worry-free motorcycling. For everything axcept real trail riding & maybe deep sand & mud , that GS was fine--when it wasn't broken.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #35
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
I've owned several KLRs. I certainly wouldn't call them reliable, though they were cheap and relatively easy to repair (assuming that you have access to a new one of whatever broke or fell off). They definately dont last forever either, but they're not really supposed to. 40,000 miles and then throw it away and buy a new one. You can essentially buy 3.5 KLRs for the cost of a GS (US market), so there is a strong arguement to be made for the more disposable KLR. Having said that, I simply got tired of the crap suspension, terrible brakes, and lack of power in my everyday bike. If I was planning on riding through third world countries or very remote locations and all that really mattered was making it through with the least hassle, I'd probably get an XR650L or DR650.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #36
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Huh, my klx 250 rides at freeway speeds.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #37
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
Hey, I'm German but not at all offended. I'm often surprised how many GS you see out there especially up in northern BC, not many Japanese bikes up in Alaska. I'm thankful for everyone buying BMW's made in Berlin, there are many alternatives...somehow the incredible sales success must be rooted in something and to me that's mainly a clear differentation in product and image, I love the BMW brand. I'm sure you're right about reliability and so on.
Hay Tallguy, my ancestors were Germans too. But they left almost 3 centuries ago. I was looking at a 2011 GSA. It was anything but simple. Hi tech stickin out everywhere. My experience with BMW just wouldn't let me trust it.And imagine dropping a $22,000 machine HARD on rocks. So I ordered the recently available Tenere(I've been lusting after a jap equivalent to the GS for years). To each his own. Are the Suzuki DRs & Kaw KLRs the SAME bike now? I heard they are. My DR400 has had a very rough life.It has never been broken(cracked case once, my fault---it got me home). These jap bikes are bulletproof .Mine have been anyway & were much abused on both road & dirt.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #38
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Would you ride it from Denver to Moab for a couple days of offroad riding there?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #39
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

My first Yamaha SR250SE actually wasn't slow either, even 2up around Europe, it's not ideal but back then no complaints coming from a Moped and Vespa 50cc scooter :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #40
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

I don't blame you, I'm an engineer myself and have no clue what all these parts are there for sticking out of the engine, I'm natuarally curious so I find it fascinating that they are all somehow required :-)
Love my 2010 GS, the sound is great and the workmanshift and look&feel is better than anything I had before and more expensive...
I'm also way to scared to leave the road with it but that's only me, you could spend hundreds of dollars in one afternoon replacing mirrors, signal lights, valve covers...
The new Tenere seems to be a real winner, only the engine seems to be a little lifeless? in the lower gears, I'm not sure why but I read that the Kawasaki Versys with much lower displacement has equal pull in the lower gears...don't worry it will be quick enough.
The R1200GS just won the "Motorrad" Alpen Masters, basically they looked at different motorcycles and the GS won because of the overall package. German motorcycles seem to collect awards in Germany, I'm sure Triumph's win in GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mistake onWheels
Hay Tallguy, my ancestors were Germans too. But they left almost 3 centuries ago. I was looking at a 2011 GSA. It was anything but simple. Hi tech stickin out everywhere. My experience with BMW just wouldn't let me trust it.And imagine dropping a $22,000 machine HARD on rocks. So I ordered the recently available Tenere(I've been lusting after a jap equivalent to the GS for years). To each his own. Are the Suzuki DRs & Kaw KLRs the SAME bike now? I heard they are. My DR400 has had a very rough life.It has never been broken(cracked case once, my fault---it got me home). These jap bikes are bulletproof .Mine have been anyway & were much abused on both road & dirt.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #41
Big Mistake onWheels
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
I don't blame you, I'm an engineer myself and have no clue what all these parts are there for sticking out of the engine, I'm natuarally curious so I find it fascinating that they are all somehow required :-)
Love my 2010 GS, the sound is great and the workmanshift and look&feel is better than anything I had before and more expensive...
I'm also way to scared to leave the road with it but that's only me, you could spend hundreds of dollars in one afternoon replacing mirrors, signal lights, valve covers...
The new Tenere seems to be a real winner, only the engine seems to be a little lifeless? in the lower gears, I'm not sure why but I read that the Kawasaki Versys with much lower displacement has equal pull in the lower gears...don't worry it will be quick enough.
The R1200GS just won the "Motorrad" Alpen Masters, basically they looked at different motorcycles and the GS won because of the overall package. German motorcycles seem to collect awards in Germany, I'm sure Triumph's win in GB.
I haven't read that about the Tenere's low end grunt being deficient , at least compared to the GS. I hope not because that GS low end torque is the greatest beauty of that bike.Kinda amazing,really. I guess I'll find out. Can always slip the clutch.Hate that. The torque figures on both bikes are similar,but haven't seen a comparison at lower RPMs.True, going into nasties with an expensive beemer is cause for pause,but I found I rode it better because of that. Terror has it's uses.Never dropped it bad. Knock on wood.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #42
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINGS
This could be a contender.

That could definately be a contender IMHO

Topo bad outfitting it is soooo expensive

But, I do love my KTM 950 Super Enduro (many say it's the best bike they've ever owned)!

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 04:20 PM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #43
Kegler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
R1100GS and DR350SE

First off, I'm a cheap SOB, but hear me out.

I got tired of having to pass up dirt/gravel road adventures while riding my 1981 Honda CB900 dresser, so for 20 cents on the dollar ($4000) I bought a 1995 BMW R1100GS with 50K miles to serve as my "adventure" bike. It's my primary street/commuter bike, will cover long distances in complete comfort, and I can turn down any dirt/gravel road to see what is at the end of it. Did I mention it handles like a sport bike and what torque.......

Next, I was growing tired of loading up my 1985 Yamaha YZ490 MXer in the back of my truck and hauling it 1-2 hours to a place to ride it. At 52 years of age, I was getting tired of kicking the beast to start it too. I decided to replace it with a nice 1995 Suzuki DR350SE ($1200) that came with a license plate, electric start, resonable weight, and is air cooled (can you say simple). It ain't no race bike, but it serves as my dirtbike and can be ridden on the street too.

For me there is no one bike that will cover all of my biking needs, but these two cover 95% of them and the combined cost was less than a new KLR.

Of course, there are costs associated with purchasing used bikes, but you can find great buys if you are patient and I don't pay the 30% depreciation of a new bike when you drive it out of the showroom.

Did I mention I'm a cheap SOB.........
Kegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #44
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemjr300
First off, I'm a cheap SOB, but hear me out.

for 20 cents on the dollar ($4000) I bought a 1995 BMW R1100GS with 50K miles to serve as my "adventure" bike.

Did I mention I'm a cheap SOB.........
Interesting... Your DR350 is a good buy but being so "economical" I wonder why you didn't bother looking for a 200X KLR with under 5K miles for under $2500?

That's what I did after taking my R100GS into Canyonlands (Moab) with two other friends riding KLR's. The big Airhead did OK on the rocks but wallowed and fell twice in the sands. Great on the highway but too much work on loose surfaces.

The economics of owning a motorcycle is NOT only the purchase price, but the price of parts and service (if you don't work on them yourself). Oilhead GS's (with their e-wizardry) are certainly more expensive to maintain than Airheads as a result of service costs IMHO. Certainly more than the KLR.

I hate the way the KLR rides. I love the way it gets me there and back with confidence. But Locktite is my friend.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #45
Kegler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Actually I did buy a KLR

Actually I did buy a 2006 KLR to replace my original Honda 900, but I wasn't satisfied with it on the road and certainly would not want to ride it as my only dirt bike (remember I was replacing a MXer). I think the reason I was not happy with it was I was coming from a fully dressed multi-cylinder touring bike. Understand I am not knocking the KLR, it just didn't suit me. The BMW will handle my touring requirements with even more comfort than my old 900 and it will go down dirt/gravels that I would never attempt on the 900.
Kegler is offline   Reply With Quote