User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
mdntridr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb VT/NY Labor Day trip

Hi folks, new Southern NH inmate here. I picked up a new-to-me 2001 DR650SE from another inmate, and promptly felt the need to ride it! So off I went, heading west from Manchester, looking to pick up part of the VT PDR en route to my buddy's house in Middlebury. I had no GPS and no detailed map, just the route sheet from those awesome VT BMW guys. Certainly an adventure having to watch the odo and actually think about what you're doing!

Thar she be! Good shape, 12,400 miles when I got her, came with Oxford Heaterz (love em!) and a taller screen and some weepy gaskets.

Being Sunday, I got a very late start due to alcohol-induced sleepiness. So I only made it to Townsend before I had to hit the slab to make time.

Beautiful part of the world!

I spent the night in Middlebury catching up with with an old friend. We got up early-ish for breakfast and then I set off north for the Grand Isle Ferry.

So I hit the ferry to Plattsburgh and made a beeline for Saranac. Had a quick bite of lunch and then off to Lake Placid.

I had no idea, but they use artificial surfaces on the jump and landing area so they can practice year-round. You need balls of steel to do ski jump to begin with, but to do it with nothing but green grass to break your fall just seems plain nuts. This, on the other hand, was totally bitchin and I would try it in a heartbeat!

Maybe you can't see, but there's a guy doing a flip in the air above the pool. I always wondered how young ski jumpers survived to be real Olympians, and now I know. They had compressed air bubbling up to break the surface tension so you don't break your legs when you hit the pool from 60 feet up. Bad Ass!

I had all my camping gear but I felt the need to get home and do some yardwork and some much-needed bike maintenance...the brake fluid looked like molasses when it came out

So, one more scenic vista, and then I headed south for Rutland, US 4 to I-89 and home!

PS - Hurricane Road in Keene, NY is about the best stretch of twisty tarmac I've ever ridden, if you're in the neighborhood don't pass it up!

mdntridr screwed with this post 09-11-2010 at 02:15 PM
mdntridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
mdntridr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
bah. stupid picasaweb!
mdntridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,555