Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Oddometer: 88
Bought an 01 dr650..havent rode in a few years... how about 300 miles?

Thursday night i got a lead on a bike... finally it s going to happen, after years of dreaming and a few weeks searching, i found a NICE dual sport for the right price; an 01 DR650 with 12,000 miles, a few mods, in PERFECT condition for $2300. The only problem is... its on cincinnati ohio and im in fayetteville WV where i work in the summer as a raft guide, bar tender, mountain bike guide and kayaker. Thankfully i have some family in Trenton Ohio which isnt to far from where the bike is. With no vehicle though, the problem will be getting to OH to buy the thing... my initial plan was to call my rents, have them buy the bike, then pay them back as soon as i can get back. So after a few texts and calls with my mom a new plan is formed. My sisters will come to WV and pick me up, ill buy the bike and ride it back to WV. So... thursday night when i got off work in the bar around 11 oclock, i hit the road for OHIO! 5 hrs later i was asleep on moms couch to be up at 8am to go see the bike. the next morning after a few hrs sleep, im awake and at the guys house by 9am.. right on time. the bike is sold. i rode with the title in hand to the bmv, changed the title, got a plate, called the insurance office and im ready to go.

Being i bought this bike for adventure riding, i decided to make a day of this ride and stop and see old friends, family and a few sights. after going home and repacking my back pack i hit the road for my uncles house about 40 minutes away. i stopped there for about an hour, shot the shit, talked about girls and bikes and left for voss toyota where a few friends work that i used to work with, fixing cars. they are both motorcycle riders and one races enduros. i pulled in the lot to see my friend randy delivering a car he just repaired to his custy and dave a few minutes later. we walked around the bike, told fish tales and pondered future visits and mods for our bikes.
The ride was pretty straight forward; lots of highways, a few stops to rest my aching butt and see a few sights.

The original Bob Evans!

Cant really tell in the pic, but in WV you can build strip joints right next to churches!

The rest of the ride was great. if i had a camera and not my phone id have taken any more pictures. The mountains were as beautiful as ever (and a blast to drive), the weather was perfect, and the roads where nearly barren. Next time i ride through with more light and/or a better camera, ill take pictures of some of the coal towns and water falls.

There it is. 2 days, 2300 bucks, a new bike and 315 miles later my first adventure tip was complete... Im already planning my next trip!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Congrats on the new bike. This is only the beginning of your fun.
Shiveley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

i know! haha. i need a better seat and some aluminum panniers (sp?).. and some heated grips for winter.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Congrats on the ride
RidingCountry.com
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Shiveley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk
i know! haha. i need a better seat and some aluminum panniers (sp?).. and some heated grips for winter.
It's dangerous, because the list only ever gets longer. I am still trying to get my bike sorted after six months.
Shiveley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Rook85
Nooberific

Oddometer: 27
For a cheap temp fix to the stock seat you can pick up a gel atv pad from wally world for something like 18 bucks.

Its not the end all be all but 20 bucks is a lot less then 250-300 for an aftermarket seat.

I haven't found the stock seat on my 05 to be as bad as people made it out to be. Its no barka lounger its an ADV bike.

There are couple great threads on DR650 luggage options.
do a google search but typing in site:advrider.com dr650 luggage
I haven't decided what I'm going to run leaning the soft dirtbagz route but there are quite a few options. It seems most guys go soft over hard for the DR's
Rook85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
bigblockbarry
Random Misfire

Oddometer: 38
Let the farkling begin! Congrats on the new bike.

Thomas Jefferson
bigblockbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
acousticrawk OP
Yeah Raft'n!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockbarry
Let the farkling begin! Congrats on the new bike.
haha. yep! any reason DR guys go soft over hard?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Dirt-Diver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrawk
haha. yep! any reason DR guys go soft over hard?
Easier on legs if ya fall down alot{as i do} and not so harsh of impact on frame and cheaper
Dirt-Diver is offline   Reply With Quote