ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
wind_man OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
RR: Dual sporting, camping, and awesome trails all at once...

This trip aimed to explore the idea of dual sporting/camping mixed with some good trails. My perspective on dual sporting has changed since I moved here and I find myself riding slab less and less for dual sporting and my street bike only gets ridden to work now... I find riding with camping gear harder and harder on the stuff I really want to ride so we decided to try dual sporting to good trails, dropping gear, and then riding trails. We cheated a bit by camping with others who had more amenities but I think the idea still works. Turns out you get tired a lot quicker doing it this way! I am used to big(er?) bikes on trails now, this is the main compromise as I see it.

Kyle and I did the whole TAT (sans a few miles in TN) back in 2008 while I was working in TX on wind farms. He was in the middle of changing jobs and moving to Philadelphia and I was just in dire need of a vacation. That was an awesome trip but I have since moved to the front range and become a much better dirt rider (still suck compared to most).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478259

Kyle hasn’t been riding much this year, he is more of a street guy anyway (doesn’t even own a dirtbike…yet!) so I was scared of what I wanted to put him through for our next adventure… The plan was to just ride good dirt and stop along the way at some epic trails and drop our gear and ride. He did amazingly well and plans to buy a DRZ or similar ASAP.
Here we are packing the bikes, trying to shed some gear…

We started out with a few different plans, some involved heading south from the front range through Rampart, 717, 4mile, over to BV, down into Telluride, back trough northern stuff such as Breck etc. A few friends ended up heading to Stillwater for the holiday weekend so we decided to meet them there and mooch food and beer from them.
We left Boulder mid afternoon and headed up through Estes via Old Fall River Road just for Kyle to get the feel of dirt under him again.

We headed down into Grand lake, got some gas and headed back north the dirt via the back way into Stillwater on CO Hwy 4 to the campsite close to the Illinois Pass trail just as dark fell. We spent all of Sunday and half of Monday riding Gilsonite, Willow creek, etc. It was an awesome group of people and great weather. Thanks to Dan and his family, Lisa, Berzerker, and everyone for the hospitality and the ride!

I ended up smashing my foot between the frame on my XR and a stump and man did it hurt! This pic was taken two days later and it still swollen today…

Monday we headed out mid afternoon after some epic singletrack (1226 I think), slabed it down to Hot Sulfer Springs (PS that gas station is closed, we had enough to make it to Silverthorne but it looked like the gas station recently closed), by the Henderson Mill, over Ute pass, into Silverthorne, more slab over Hoosier, then to Mosquito Pass.
Ute Pass facing the wrong direction…

Mosquito…

Cool two stage IR air compressor… My guess is that it is a double acting compressor since the crank arms were phased 90 degrees but others may know more? I love these mining relics and wish there were more information on the mechanics of how things worked back in that day, can anyone recommend any books?

Up over the pass…

We ended up camping near Turquoise lake.

We headed out early over Hagerman down the old RR grade

Then onto Fryingpan Rd which is an awesome piece of slab into Basalt. Kyle promptly got a flat somehow and the rim strip was much longer than it needed to be so we had to resort to taping the inside of the rim… Very strange… At least we found a perfect rock for the tube change!

From Basalt we slabed it down to Aspen and rode up the slopes. Epic views…

Then down 15E or Richmond Hill Rd which is one of my favorite ways to get into Taylor Park…

Then through Taylor Pass into Taylor Park (that pass seems to get harder every time, the creek was low but the baby heads seems to multiply each time…) We ended up over at Spring Creek Res, set up camp and went for a nice ride on Bear Creek, Reno Ridge, and Deadman Gulch. We were beat by the end of the day.

Camping next to Spring Creek.

My Maxxis was getting low…

The 908 was holding up great! I like this tire, thanks to Geek for the recommendation!

We had planned to ride more awesome singletrack the next morning but it rained fairly hard that night so we though twice about the wear we would put on the trail. We also heard breakfast calling in BV,,,
Heading out the next morning…

Up over cottonwood…

Cottonwood Pass

We rolled into BV and grabbed some food, I picked up a paper at the gas station and saw the Fourmile Fire pictures… I called a friend who lives in the area and it turns out (still pending clarification) that the firefighters cut a fire break right on her property, with the burn ending right at her house. Reportedly the fire may have started from a downed powerline near their house… Thanks to all who helped fight this fire!

We headed into 4mile on 300, Kyle still hates sand…

Then up 185

We then took dirt towards the front range, I think signs said Heritage Park or something like that. This was infinitely better than 285…

The clutch lever busing in the Husky disintegrated and luckily I had another in the spare lever… Husky gets a 0 for that bushing design…

At some point we headed north towards Eleven Mile Canyon

Then onto 717 where we rode a good chunk of the actual 717 trail then north via 363.

At this point we decided to make it back to Boulder that night and headed north up the South Platte River

By this point it was raining and we rode through Evergreen and took Peak to Peak to Magnolia and got back right before dark. The next day we did an easy day trip up through Caribou, 105, and Rollins Pass. Overall a great trip!
“ The price of man in motion is the occasional collision. Motor racing is dangerous. In order to be competitive in this business it is necessary for both man and machine to operate at the outer edges of their respective performance envelopes. The closer we come to the edge, the greater the risk of falling off.” -Carroll Smith
wind_man is offline   Reply With Quote