User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
lunaticTR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
4 days riding here and there

We had 3 and a half day holiday (Ramadan celebrations) and the weekend making it worthy to go somewhere. But where? While I was contemplating on the issue, half day passed and I did nothing to prepare. On the first day of the holiday I was about to give up. I told to my self "I should stay and clean the house, take my other bike apart and rebuild. 10 days earlier I had another 3 day opportunity to go somewhere but I did not to do the chores I mentioned, but did absolutely nothing. Just sit here and surf the net. I said "This time I am not gonna let it happen again!", and started packing. Most of them were already packed and ready to go. I added a few and I was on my way around noon time. I was not sure where I was going but where ever it is, it’d better be green. I took the map that shows the country in general and headed towards Beypazarı. My intention was to go to Bolu and around. I wanted to take it easy and do some off-roading as well. I had just put Anakee II tires on. It was time to test it.
A few km on the road my low fuel sign comes on and the computer says I can do 75km on this fuel. OK. I will fill it up soon. I still have 75km to go.

As my fuel goes down, I am looking for a certain gas station I prefer to get gas from. Nothing in sight. All different brands. I know there is one right before Beypazarı. Distance sign says 41km to reach there. I have 19km to go on the computer. I know when it says I am over, I still have a litter more gas in the tank, which should carry me 25km more. A quick calculation… Yes I can make it. I have half a litter fuel bottle for my camp stove. In case I need it it would take me 10km more at least.

Here is a mountain with concrete base and a copper top.

18km more to Beypazarı and my computer is greeting me with ADV style horizontally (you know “- - -“ sign instead of estimated range with the current fuel level).
Finally I make it to Beypazarı. I fill it up. 16.1 litters on 16 litter tank. I know by some experience (don’t ask) that it still has around 0.3 littre more.

Central Anatolia is mostly a dry place and poor in green (not $$$ green). But I am coming close to Western Black See Region.

Let's see if I can take a picture before I reach that curve, turn the camera off and put it back in my pocket

I wanted to get some food from Mudurnu, a town famous for their chickens. At the entrance some cops blocked the street and directed the cars to side streets. There was a crowd also. I thought it must be the festivities going on. So I parked my bike on a street nearby. Started walking. A gendarme asked me if what I was wearing was fireproof. I said “Nooo. It is just regular leather”. I was asked if I was a rock climber before, so this question was not a shocker for me. As walked down the street I saw an ambulance. As I turned the corner I saw a commotion and fire trucks. Fireman with regular clothing were at work trying to extinguish the fire below.

Now it kind of made sense. He either thought I was specially clothed fireman (and of course with my helmet half worn what else could I be) coming to help, or he was looking for somebody he can push to the front lines. The police was chasing away the curious and highly opinionated people. As he was trying to push people back, the others came from the other side. As he turned to this side, the others came from the other side. He was frustrated. As I did not wanted to make the headlines “A crazed out cope shot down a by-stander”, I took the pictures and ran.

If I had been a burglar, I would have hit the jackpot that day as everybody was out watching the event.

Let’s see if the pictures are coming out right. Then I will continue. Otherwise I will have to find another way to post them.

lunaticTR screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 10:56 AM
lunaticTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
lunaticTR OP
Adventurer

Great! It works. I wanted to stop by some lake called Suluklu Gol-Leached Lake. As I was going on the road I saw a sign and turned back and followed that road. On the way to the lake I started asking to myself if the sign read “Suluklu Gol” or “Sunnet Golu”. I am kind of attention deficit and have memory of a fish (well, almost). While I was high on this thought I realized I was coming to a corner on pegs faster than I thought I should, sat down tried to slow down and take the corner but could not. Luckily it was wide and I was able to pull it to the other side, right in front of the sign “Sunnet Golu” showing a side road. At that moment I remembered an anecdote about Nasrettin Hoca. One day as he was on a tree pruning a brunch, a neighbor comes and warns him. He says “ Hoca, Hoca! You are cutting the brunch you are sitting on. He signs him to continue on his way and keeps cutting the brunch. Sure enough, he finds himself on the ground. The neighbor with “I told you so!” look on his face standing by, Hoca gets up, brushes himself clean and, with an indifferent voice, says “I was gonna get down anyways”. So I was gonna get off the road anyways. And now I know it is the wrong lake. I had seen the pictures on the net and did not like it. I wanted something remote. Well I am very close now. I might as well take a picture.

This is where I wanted to go.

This is where I ended up.

I know they are way off. But neither shows up in the map. So I go by gut feeling and sometimes asking. I need a gps!
So I had to go all around to get there.

But first I got these pics. This is the dirt road I went off trying my off-road skills.

This is the lake I did not want to go at the first place. You can see there is a state’s housing project going on right in the middle of the lake. Blasphemy!

Oh! It was for these guys. OK then.

Me, myself and the lake.

Have I told you that Mudurnu was famous for its chicken business.
“OK. You push her down. I will catch the eggs. Promise I won’t miss it this time.”

Competition Ehh? This guy has more hair on the legs than I do. Hehehe

lunaticTR screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 10:49 AM
lunaticTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
lunaticTR OP
Adventurer

I got the directions for “Suluklu Gol” and hustle up since the day was running short (thanks to starting it at noon!). If you got to go west you better start at daybreak and reach your target before late. Or all you see will be something like this.

Now, what was the name of the town I was gonna turn to? Hımm starts with “D” for sure but the rest? Darn! I need a gps. I came to “Dedeler” but did not sound right. So I pulled up to a couple of guys, to my luck, who were just standing by the road. As I expected, they told me I passed it already; luckily only 2 km or so. Back went I go. You see the picture above, there is an intersection coming. That’s where I was supposed to turn but could not see the sign while trying to take the picture of the sun taking my eye. After a short ride in town, I came to the fire road that goes up to the lake. I continued on the road. I could not go fast, because the road was narrow, at places so narrow that only a car could pass, and there were cars coming down at the end of the day. I even came across with a full size van.

As I climb up, the temperatures dropped down. It was around 32-33 degrees all day long (around 90 F), now it is 16C. My fingerless summer gloves were of no help. Then I remember why I paid so much money to this bike. Heated grips!. Oh yeah! Finally I made it to the top before sunset.

Fishermen are getting ready for carp and trout

And they are here to stay for the night. Too crowded for my taste! What can I do? I put up my tent and started cooking.

There was a track where I was going to put up my tent. But it had not been used for a while and was very steep. There was another track coming to the lake 10m away. I asked the anglers if there was any possibility that somebody might drive down this tracks, they said “No. It is not used”. I went to bed around 9:30 and did not find it hard to fall asleep. I woke up with a voice saying “Somebody put up a tent right in front of the road!”. So, I jumped up half sleepy sticking my head outside to see what is about to run over me. A guy was apologetic, saying that they were bikers (not motor though) and could not see the real road at night. Alright, no harm done. So back to sleep I went, meanwhile I heard them talking about hogs and bears they saw or they were afraid that they would see or something like that. I heard they would be there but I never minded. I don’t mind sleeping in the woods, and I did many times. I followed the fresh footprints of bears. While people coming down afraid to go back because they heard some crazy noise a wild animal was making, I went strait up and camp there in the past. But this time somewhere in my sleepy had, it must have been registered. And from then on (about 1:00am) until 4:30am I had nothing but nightmare. Wild hogs running around my tent! I tried to yell for help but I could not. Then I ask “What is silencing me? There is no reason preventing me from yelling” Then I realized it was a nightmare. Then when I realized, it went away. But this was easy. Then another bunch came. Then wild dogs, with lots of puppies. While I was trying to push them off, one of them started chewing on my hand. I got all slimy stuff on my hands. Then came the spray over my head. I belied a dog just peed. I was like “what the hell am I going to do now? There is little water. I had to wash my hands first. Then I have to fill it up to take a shower, which will take forever, because the fountain barely oozes water now. (The water in the fountain was actually running very thin. You have to wait 10 min. there to get 2 litters of water). Then a creature you can see only in Harry Potter movies came along. One of the anglers I met fed it with a dead (or playing dead) opossum (which we do not have in Turkey) to make it go away. Then along came a boar. I could feel the teeth. I started to wander how come the tent cloth could stand it and not get torn up. I think I was about to realize it was a nightmare, the scene changed and I saw the tent was torn all around. Darn! I was so close. Again it started pushing. I could feel the sharp teeth. Well it is time to yell for help. I knew I yelled out loud this time. I heard the angler staying up all night to catch a fish, assuring me that everything was OK and something about the hooks (probably not but hey, I am still half asleep). I woke up. It was 4:30am. With the shame I felt, I fell asleep. Damn you bikers! 6:00am I got up for the Morning Prayer. It was 10C outside and everything was wet. Normally I would not go back to sleep. But I felt really tired thanks to the nightmares. So I went back to sleep. Got up after 9:00am and met the bikers. They came all the way from Istanbul. They did not know about the steep and rocky road. They had to walk 9 km up the hill pushing their bikes and all the gear on them. They were tired. And I forgave them. Pictures from the morning. Only one guy across the lake caught a carp. Anglers were complaining about over and illegal fishing.

GS stand for “General Service” right?

On the way down:

Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Nice! Thanks for showing us a bit of this and that..