Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,691
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy

It's a 4+ hour ferry ride from Port aux Basques, Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia. Good thing I grabbed my laptop after strapping the Beast down

as it gave me some time to start my RR.

This ferry is not like the ones in Washington. There are cabins for rent, game rooms, gift shops, a restaurant and bar, movies, some guy singing country music, an exercise room and even Wi-Fi.

The night before, I had decided to skip riding the 200 miles needed to get to the ferry terminal. Instead, I was going to get a late start and spend the night at Port aux Basques, catching the ferry the next morning. However, about 5AM I woke up and after about 30 minutes realized I wasn't going back to sleep. When I left Rocky Harbor it must have been in the high thirties becasue I had to crank up my electic vest and grips just to stay warm. But, it wasn't raining and the road was paved, so, making the trip in 3 hours to catch the ferry would not be a problem.

Pulling up to the ferry termial at 10:20AM I was told that the ferry was delayed by 2 hours. Oh well, the early ride was great, with little traffic, no moose sightings, no rain and by the time I reached the terminal, my right index finder had finaly thawed.

But, this trip didn't start at the Newfoundland ferry terminal. It started 12 days ago when I left Spokane to head for Albany to visit with my daughter. I thought about making a side trip to Nova Scotia, but then I remembered that the Trans Labrador Hwy was in the area. A quick look at google maps confirmed that it was indeed, on the way. In addition, Phase III from Goose Bay to the Cartwright junction, had been completed this year so I could ride all the way across Labrador without needing the ferry system.

To Albany by way of Labrador City (the start of the Trans Lab) east to Goose Bay, down to Blanc-Sablon, across to Newfoundland, down to Nova Scotia and then to New York - that's the plan

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote