User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #3451
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
repels mosquitos

I've found one thing that really works, tipped off by another rider who spent 3 months up there. Those green coils you burn like incense really do keep 'em away. There is available a flat metal burner/ holder that really helps. You can actually wear it around your neck like an over sized pendant! I kid you not. It does not get hot. Just carry it around with you, to the bath house, everywhere. With the holder, you don't have to hold it in your hand. Throw it in the tent a few minutes before getting in, and the pests are gone.
Now the bad part. The only place I've been able to find those burners is the REI in Anchorage. I've looked everywhere in the lower 48 and on my trip up there.
At least you can buy the coils at any camp store or WalMart. They come with a flimsy holder. That and a little Deet keeps them off, no bites.
~Poppawheelie~
Mosquito Trap

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3452
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
More Mobius tripping! Thanks for writing this up!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3453
alma1992
Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer: 200
fingers crossed

I sure hope you didn't jinx yourself with the immunity statement. Good luck. Keep the beautiful pictures coming.

"There will always be kings, no matter what they are called"
alma1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #3454
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
immunity jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by alma1992
I sure hope you didn't jinx yourself with the immunity statement. Good luck. Keep the beautiful pictures coming.
I've been saying it for a while. We were just looking at some videos from M5 when the tree fell on the Telkwa pass road, and I said "the only reason this could happen is because the cold rain stopped falling -- only one misery at a time.

I have been fully expecting the jinx, but what's really amazing is that we actually never seem to have more than one bad thing happening at a time.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #3455
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 6, Wed, Aug 11, 2010

Today's objective would be to lay down some miles. Big miles. Paved miles. Serious miles. We were invoking the spirit of our friend John Ryan. If we could make 350 or more miles today, we'd be able to start up the Dempster tomorrow, and we'd be a day ahead of the (at least) two day delay we faced staying in Chicken.

Since we got in so late, and lost an hour, we weren't rolling as early as we'd liked, but we took the time to eat a hearty breakfast at Buckshot Betty's, where we met Betty herself, and a young woman riding a bicycle solo from Seattle, up the Casiar, and hoping to get to Fairbanks and back down to Seattle before winter arrived. Impressive.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #3456
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Reviewing the

photos and the videos of the day's ride,

it seems I was more trying to keep myself engaged and entertained more than anything.

(not much content, but still, a small taste of riding in YT)

it's all good. Especially when the clouds lift, and give us a nice view of the horizon:

Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #3457
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The ninja incident

'nuff said.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #3458
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Small town P.D.

fool me once.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #3459
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The skies cleared

and the temps warmed. It was a nice ride.

I guess we deserved to suffer this go-around, since this was part of the very section we had to ride in the U-Haul last spring.

Just rolling out the miles, listening to tunes, singing along. Opening up the squawk boxes and chatting every once in awhile, trying to keep morale high.

This kind of long-day, big mile, non-technical, droning pavement riding is not precisely what we're after on these Mobius trips, but hey, we're not at work either. I wouldn't exactly call it suffering.

I could practically feel the knobs on the tires melting away.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #3460
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A quick stop

at Haines Junction for a snack,

this is where we noticed the bees swarming all over our bikes. We were careful to avoid a repeat of the Delta Junction incident.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #3461
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

As usual,

we couldn't get through an entire day without experiencing at least five different weather systems... so the clouds started to build up again.

Destination: Carmacks! At first I thought, no way do I have 164 more miles in me. But then I remembered... kilometers! yeah!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #3462
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Here we go again

At this point, we're past Whitehorse, where we'd filled with gas, and in the gas station there was a TV with the news playing. We overheard a brief report that the Taylor highway was still closed, "indefinitely"

The good news is that we were set up to start the Dempster highway the next morning.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #3463
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We arrive at Carmacks

just as the rain passes. We check out the motel, which looks pretty hard core trucker, and since the weather seems to be improving, we decide to check out the campground that's just a bit past town, on the other side of the Yukon river. It seems lovely, we pay for a spot, pitch the tent, and then ride back into town for gas and groceries:

On the menu: chili cheese dogs, salad-in-a-bag, and berry crumble for dessert.

By the time we returned to the campground, the roads have already dried.

It was an awesome campground -- hot showers, free (dry!) firewood, right on the river. Highly recommended: Coal Mine Campground
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #3464
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Not a bad day

Pretty much all that we had hoped for -- no drama, big miles.

we settled in to our end-o-day camping routine; chores, some pictures, and a cocktail or two.

While we were cooking, an armada of Germans in canoes landed on the shore, and tromped their gear right through our camp space.

Whatever. We retaliated by bringing them over a couple of chili cheese dogs for appetizers when it seemed like their food was taking a long time to cook.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #3465
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

End of day light

inviting more photos...