Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
BAARC: Good bye God, we're going to Bodie!

Or is that "Good, by God, we're going to Bodie!"?

Awhile back I started a Thread for us San Francisco Bay Area FFs calling it the Bay Area Adventure Riders Club (BAARC). I was looking for other people to ride with and while it took a bit, I sure found some cool people! This is a RR of our first big ride Aug 20-23rd. We left the Bay Area and traveled over the Sierra Nevada and camped near the town of Bridgeport California. Here's a look at the guys that made it...

Mike (No ADV screen name), crazed AFM racer whose discovering the fun of ADV. Rides a 990 like... well he rides it like the big bad bitch it is!

Mike Z (ZeegyMan). Had a KLR for the past few years and just recently picked up this awesome 950.

Paul (JustPaul) another guy that can muscle a 990 places it should go.

Jeff (50x50). Riding a trailer queen 990R, a 525 EXC, and a Honda 50. You can bring a lot more bikes when you pack them into a toy hauler. He was also the most comfortable on the trip.

Jon (Katumo). This guy was crazy enough to ride a kick start only KTM 620 Enduro.

We let these next two join us only because according to ADV affirmative action rules we needed at least two BMWs on all rides!

Nate (NateTheNoob).

Sean (No ADV screen name) on a 1200GSA.

And then there's myself. Todd.

There were two other guys on 1200GSs but Greg had a valve stem issue, so he and Albert had to part ways with us before we got very far.

The ride for day one was to meet in San Jose and ride over HWY 108.

The ride over Sonora Pass was, as usual, epic. I always tell myself I'm gonna slow down and enjoy the view, but when the twisties start after The Dardenels it's tough to ease back on the throttle.

Paul and Mike just before the pass.

Mike Z followed by Nate cresting the pass.

Camp was just inside the Nevada State border. We base camped along the river and did day rides from there.

The sun was getting low by the time we rolled into camp.

I had planned for day 2 to be very easy, but we ended up climbing up to all that's left of Aurora, which is a rocky uphill section that can be a real challenge on the big bikes. Then finding a new and sandy way into Bodie.

Jon and Nate riding by a building that's part of the Hilton family's "Flying M Ranch".

ZeegyMan heading for Aurora.

The easy part of the road up to Aurora.

There's not much left of Aurora. Just a graveyard, one concrete wall, and a Troll that ambushes ADVers caught messing the place up, but at one point 10,000 people lived out here.

Shortly after Aurora we had our first crash. Nate managed to turn his BMW up-side-down.

Not to be out done Mike slows progress by promptly pinch flating.

Geez mike you coulda picked a nicer spot for us to wait while you fixed your flat. I tell ya, times are tough in the Bodie Hills...

The blind leading the blind. We took a differant route than I had planned, as it looked more interesting and the guys that showed up for this ride were impressive riders. Finding new routes is normaly something I dig, but I gotta say it was nerve racking knowing I had nine guys following me and they'd heckle the hell outta me back at camp if I screwed up.

Jeff.

Mono Lake in the distance off to the right.

One thing about riding with me is that my camera has an 18x zoom (26 with digital) so if you drop your bike chances are I'll get the evidence! Mike Z drops his kick ass new 950 in the sand just outside Bodie.

We made it to Bodie (A Ghost town turned CA State Park) without getting lost, so now they'd have to find other reasons to heckle me.

Ok I'll post more tomorrow.

Cheers!

T O Double D screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 11:29 AM
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
It's a shame all the buildings are locked up. I hope you got the token to go on the tour of the stamping mill.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
It's a shame all the buildings are locked up. I hope you got the token to go on the tour of the stamping mill.
The original plan was to do the tour and screw around taking pics, but this group wanted to ride! Because of the new route it took us almost two hours more than if we'd gone my orginal route. We ended up heading off to Bridgeport for lunch at the...

Then getting back on dirt ASAP where we stopped to check out Chemung Mine. This place last operated in 1938 and is being torn apart by vandals more and more everytime I go out there.

Paul

Jeff and myself.

Nate

Kick starting a 620 is a bitch. This is something we got to watch Jon do a lot over the next three days.

Jeff and Jon ascending Masonic Mt. Elevation ~ 9,200' with Bridgeport in the background.

It gets pretty windy up there in the afternoon. Just ask Mike.

This red dirt can be a pain when it's wet. Thankfully it was nice and dry today.

Although it wasn't always dry.

Paul, wanting to ditch the group, pushes the secret 990 smoke screen button.

And it worked for a bit!

Nate was able to avoid any ill effects though.

Throughout this whole ride we were popping in and out of CA and NV. This was just one of, and the best marked, the many back country border crossings. Which one of these guys didn't get the memo on how to properly salute your fellow ADVers? Ahem....ffeJ

From left to right... Nate, Jon (standing), Jeff, Mike, Todd, and Paul (we were missing a few as some riders got tired and another had a gear failure)

There was a rally of sorts happening on Saturday throughout the Bodie Hills. This was the coolest one I saw, although the color is kinda...

Ok, here's were things started to get a little crazy. How many things are wrong in this picture... There's Paul with a gun, Mike and a cup of "FaderAide", and Jeff on his mini, sans helmet... Yeah, the night was about to get good!

Death to cans everywhere! Me vs the Coors Light can.

It was amazing how many of the guys in this group hadn't ever shoot a gun before. Well we're gonna change that! Mike shows Jeff how to shoot.

Nate going all Rambo on that can.

Mike Z was a deadeye. Another thing I learned about this mild mannered Electrical Engineer on this trip is that he's former Canadian Army and has shot all kinds of cool weapons. Cans beware!

I wonder if this has anything to do with the coming madness?!

Jeff (background) and myself partaking.

Yep the night was getting good. And what could possibly make it better? Well Mike came up with a brilliant idea, how about some boiling gas jets! Don't try this at home, or out in the desert for that matter, but it's a tightly capped bottle with a whole punched in the top placed STRAIGHT UP in the fire. When the gas boils the fumes are expelled and ignite causing a large flaming gas jet!

These pics were taken after most of the gas had been burned up, so it was just a little flame coming out. (We were standing pretty far back during the huge jets)

And here's some video... Yes, Paul was hooting an hollering... I think the FadrerAide had something to do with that!

Day 3 was spent riding through the Sweetwater Mtns. Sorry about the veiws guys. I'll try and find some better ones next time.

The Sweetwaters Mountains are filled with, surprise, surprise, water.

Nate and Paul coming up a little hill climb.

In my trip discription I said there was a steep hill. Well this is it. I was leading with Mike behind me, who was the best rider among us, and when we neared the top of this hill I motioned for him to slow down and back off of me. At first he thought, "WTF, this is easy 2 track that any jackass on a retard chariot (quad) can handle." But he quickly discovered why I wanted space. This hill is long, loose, and steep. All three of the big bikes made it down fine, but the small bikes had a few problems...

Nate was the first of the small bikes to come down the hill. (And to go down...)

Jon was next up, or would that be down?

Yep it would be down.

Now this had us a bit worried. Jon was kicking his bike feverishly, and Jeff was flying down the hill on his 525.

But not to worry, as Jeff wanted to get up close and personal with the local bushes.

Jon was kicking that bike for what seemed like days.

But they eventualy made it down. Now I would just like to say that I did have a go around for this if I felt anybody in the group really needed it. I would never expect someone to ride beyond their limits.

Nate.

Jon.

Jeff.

Riders Meeting.

What's Jeff looking at?

Oh, it's a very loose and rocky hillclimb. Mike, being the bad ass he is, didn't think anything of it and charged up it, on his 990, before anybody could tell him it was a bad idea.

Jeff had a good crash, but eventualy roosted his way up to the top.

Paul had no trouble getting his 990 up it.

Nate put in a killer effort...

...But lost it at the top.

Paul's a true friend. Takes your pic before he'll help you out. You know, for posterity.

Jon was very tired after kicking that bitch over all day long and didn't make it too far.

I ended up riding his bike up and then realized it would be a major pain for me to get my SE up the hill, so I decided to turn tail and run away!

We hit up some very cool single track.

That ran along a stream we crossed countless times...

While the other guys struggled through the stream...

...Jeff decided to cool off in it!

Single track on an ADV ride. Gotta love it!

Mike salutes you!

Back up in the wide open high country.

After riding through the Sweetwaters we had our only serious accident. Nate went into a turn way to hot, at about sixty, target fixated, and crashed. He knocked himself out for a little and Mike thought he was dead when he first rolled up on scene. He was shaken up, but was able to ride back to camp after taking a breather. He was wearing full gear, including a pressure suit and this was the most visible damage...

Mike suffered some damage too... Hopefully it'll buff right out.

Well, that was that. I had a blast and met some really cool people. I can't wait to do it again! Thanks to everybody that came along and made this such a kick ass trip. Hopefully this is just the first of many BAARC rides. If you have any interest in these sorts of rides, there will be otheres that aren't quite so offroad oriented as well, and are in the area come on out and join us.

Cheers!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
awesome!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
GTSRIG
DR Rider

Oddometer: 44
Very Cool. Looks like you were shooting a Springfield XD at those wiley cans.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Todd,

Thanks for putting the trip together and doing the RR..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSRIG
Very Cool. Looks like you were shooting a Springfield XD at those wiley cans.
Yep, XD in .45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
Todd,

Thanks for putting the trip together and doing the RR..
Cheers!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Cool riding...
Thanks for the sharing.
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,150
Wait a minute. You went for a ride with Paul and his bike didn't break? I am amazed!

Man I can't wait to get home and do some more of that stuff with you guys. Europe sucks.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
Wait a minute. You went for a ride with Paul and his bike didn't break? I am amazed!

Man I can't wait to get home and do some more of that stuff with you guys. Europe sucks.

So am I! I think he's broken and replaced everything there is to break on a KTM. He didn't even get a flat!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Awesoe ride report! Looks like a lot of fun and a great group of buddies!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,826
Thanks for a great ride report! I'm sorry to see the Chemung Mine getting more beat up by vandals. Didja try the Hayes Street Grill for breakfast in Bridgeport?
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
What an awesome ride!! Nice action and shooting! Thanks for the report and great pics
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana
Thanks for a great ride report! I'm sorry to see the Chemung Mine getting more beat up by vandals. Didja try the Hayes Street Grill for breakfast in Bridgeport?

Yeah Chemung gets more beat up everytime I go out there. Once someone had taken large stones and thrown them against one of the out buildings collapsing a wall! It's too easy to get to unfortunatly.

We had a last breakfast at Hayes St. Pretty good place that definatly hits the spot after several days eating freeze dried breakfasts.